Happy Birthday, Copernicus!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Happy Birthday, Copernicus!

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:27 pm

Today is the birthday of Copernicus, the man most famous for his formulation of a heliocentric theory of the solar system.

It is a sad testament to his legacy that over 400 years later, a quarter of Americans believe that the sun goes around the Earth and not the other (correct) way around. (I know Henry V already posted this link somewhere, but I can't remember where.)

It is interesting to note that when Copernicus first proposed his theory, it really wasn't much better at explaining the observations made of the sky than the Ptolemaic model it would eventually replace. It won out in the long run because (and here's how science works) it turned out to actually be correct.

Sadly, the legend that Copernicus was the first man to butter his bread is not true, but I like to celebrate him for that achievement anyway. Hence, tonight I will be honoring his birth with beef stew and, of course, buttered bread. (I'll also be honoring a man who shares today as his birthday: Lee Fucking Marvin, whose contributions to Western culture are almost assuredly nearly the equal of Copernicus's.)

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Happy Birthday, Copernicus!

Postby fennel » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:34 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Lee Fucking Marvin, whose contributions to Western culture are almost assuredly nearly the equal of Copernicus's.)
And whom I forever confuse with James Coburn.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:40 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Lee Fucking Marvin

I was watching Gorkey Park last night on 27.3 and promptly fell asleep as soon as they killed Lee Marvin. William Hurt alone just couldn't get me to the credits.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:45 am

fennel wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Lee Fucking Marvin, whose contributions to Western culture are almost assuredly nearly the equal of Copernicus's.)
And whom I forever confuse with James Coburn.

I wouldn't want to get bit by either one.

Return to “Catch All”