American TV is closing

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

American TV is closing

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:01 pm

Appliance, furniture retailer American to close

This is a shocker. I've bought many appliances, TVs and furniture from them over the last forty years.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: American TV is closing

Postby Shorty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:08 pm

Kind of shocking but I've never bought anything from there. The times I've read American's ads in newspapers I've never been impressed. Best Buy is easier to get to for me and seems like they always have a bigger selection and/or better prices on electronics than American. Likewise for furniture, I go to other stores in Madison (Rubins, Woodworks, Golde's, Don's).

I don't understand how Radio Shack, Home Depot and Office Depot stay in business for the same reasons.
Last edited by Shorty on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:15 pm

Shorty wrote:Kind of shocking but I've never bought anything from there. Best Buy is easier to get to for me and seems like they always have a bigger selection and/or better prices than American. The times I've read American's ads in newspapers I've never been impressed.

I don't understand how Radio Shack, Home Depot and Office Depot stay in business for the same reasons.

The only shocking thing to me is that we found our TV there for a better deal than anywhere else. Wasn't expecting that and just kind of went in on a whim.

Not just BB (which has also struggled) but the internet has totally killed brick and mortar retail in most categories.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:27 pm

When I was a young dork I walked up to one of the Apple II computers on display and wrote the following program:

10 PRINT "AMERICAN TV SUCKS!!!"
20 GOTO 10

A salesman came up behind me and saw what I was doing and kicked me out of the store.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Shorty wrote:I don't understand how Radio Shack, Home Depot and Office Depot stay in business for the same reasons.

Those three chains are very useful stores in their own ways. I can't imagine what I would want any of them to do differently. Obviously a store can't compete with internet for selection. I'm confused why you don't appreciate the option to buy quickly, locally.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Shorty wrote:I don't understand how Radio Shack, Home Depot and Office Depot stay in business for the same reasons.

Those three chains are very useful stores in their own ways. I can't imagine what I would want any of them to do differently. Obviously a store can't compete with internet for selection. I'm confused why you don't appreciate the option to buy quickly, locally.

They're also located in high traffic areas. American is a little off the beaten trail now.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:51 pm

rabble wrote: American is a little off the beaten trail now.

Madison's westside store, maybe. Especially since the nearby Verona Road intersection will be messed up because of construction for the next few years. But that is just one of their 11 stores in the Midwest.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Huckleby wrote:Those three chains are very useful stores in their own ways. I can't imagine what I would want any of them to do differently. Obviously a store can't compete with internet for selection. I'm confused why you don't appreciate the option to buy quickly, locally.

Rarely do I need anything quickly especially the items they sell (electronics and home/office supplies). I'd rather get a lower price or better quality item.

But I didn't say I buy from the internet instead of those stores. There are other stores in Madison I can buy from instead. Cell phone? Bought one from AT&T. Computer? Bought one from Best buy. The only things I can remember buying from them in the last three years are (I forgot to include Office Max in my list):

Home depot - nothing
Office Max - some folders. Could have gone to Walgreens.
Radio Shack - an audio cable for my stereo. Probably could have gone to Best buy but I was inside West Town mall already.
Office depot - a desk for my home office. OK that was a good deal.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:26 pm

I heard rumors about two years ago. Supposedly American was going to stop selling TV's and electronics.

It used to be a big deal for me to go multi-stop shopping. It was fun.

Last year I went to Office Depot to buy two items I buy every Fall, for years. It was a completely wasted trip. I was told my printer was considered old, thus I had to order ink from them online. I was also told they "never carried" the desk calendar I'd been buying from them for many years. I got a real good deal on Amazon instead.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:44 pm

You may be able to get cheap printer ink refills at Univ Bookstore. I get mine there.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:23 pm

American TV closing? Damn, I should have picked up my ten-speed bike.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Detritus wrote:American TV closing? Damn, I should have picked up my ten-speed bike.

My first ten speed bike was a product of convincing my parents they needed new living room furniture, though it may have been from Colder furniture and not American.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Get a bike!
Get a bike!
Get a bike!

I remember us packing the whole family into the car for a trip to Madison for one of my brothers to buy his portable stereo (and get the bike).

Last I saw, "TV Lenny" (Len Mattioli) was now selling power-assisted bikes.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:52 pm

those tv lenny bikes were god awful quality. They built better bikes on "Gilligan's Island". That professor was quite a guy.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Huckleby wrote:those tv lenny bikes were god awful quality. They built better bikes on "Gilligan's Island". That professor was quite a guy.

I'll say. Coconut is a very demanding medium.

Return to “Town Vibe”