Pet Peeve: Bob and Tom must die.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Pet Peeve: Bob and Tom must die.

Postby Bludgeon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:41 pm

How did a show like this get popular, much less formulized. I hate these mindless ingratiating bastards. It kills me that someone would be flipping through the dial, hear the Bob and Tom show and say, "this is what I want to listen to." No news, no music, just a fucking laugh track and two idiots and one female idiot making shitty comments over a pre-recorded track of themselves laughing. That's right: a track of THEMSELVES laughing, while they talk over it. Because even they don't think it's a funny show.

If one part of the show really unnerves me more than any other, it's that shitty ass laugh track I guess they clap on the laugh track too that's excellent. They keep that fucker going all day long. Non-stop, never turn it off. At no point is the Bob and Tom show even accidentally an actual, genuine personality show. It's just tongue-to-the-toilet, straight low brow banality of the most illiterate and uneducated variety, set to a pathetic laugh track - a laugh track that presumably prevents the idiots who make up their listening audience from realizing that almost nothing they say is actually worth laughing at.

Of course Bob and Tom's commonplace, plaintive, undercutting, often misogynistic attitude is the icing on the cake. Their overriding attitude, if you could put an image to it, the attitude of their cheap commentary is best visualized by the image of an overweight 47 year old man wearing an old pair of sweat pants originally purchased from Dollar General in 1992, slowly disintegrating, unwashed and unchanged for several days; wearing an XXL UFC T-Shirt their uncle bought at a truck stop, with orange-grey hair straggling down from their mesh ball cap and oversized prescription glasses sitting in redneck project housing in Dodgeville, WI, reclined on an old felt couch with a print of the wagon trains for decoration, flipping through the channels never stopping for more than 200 seconds, and only stopping for reality TV, true crime, entertainment news, or Bigfoot documentaries.

If there's a second part of the show that really unnerves me it's the shitty ass musicians and the retarded songs they come up with. Basically just a sad parade of one wannabe David Allen Coe after another.

Thirdly, I hate the vile breed of second rate comedians the attract and trot out day by day in a meaningless procession of sub-mediocre talent.

But more than anything I hate 1: Bob. 2: Tom: 3: the laugh track and 4: the audience.

The fact that the Bob and Tom show takes up valuable bandwidth space in a town with almost no good radio stations would make up a distant 5th thing I hate the most about the Bob and Tom show.

Non-sequitur: How did Madison end up with such a shitty host of radio stations? NONE of them are good, with the exception of WORT, *if* you picked a good day to turn it on. There's almost nothing good or interesting to listen to, even if it's not all as repulsive as the Bob and Tom show.
Last edited by Bludgeon on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pet Peeve: Bob and Tom must die.

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Dear Lord, yes -- the incessant canned laughter is without a doubt the biggest reason (among many, as you've noted) to avoid that parade of assholes like the plague.

That said, for my money the most irritating thing anywhere on the dial are commercials for Ganser's Mad City Sales. If you ever read a news story about someone being arrested for storming onto their lot and throat punching those two fuckers, don't be surprised to learn it was me. Not only are their huckster sales gimmicks some of the most vile I've ever encountered, and their attempts at being funny pathetic and obnoxious to the extreme, but they possess two of the most annoying voices ever broadcasted. I cannot for the life of me fathom how any of their commercials actually convince anyone to do business with them.
ACK! Just thinking about their fucking ads makes me angry!

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:That said, for my money the most irritating thing anywhere on the dial are commercials for Ganser's Mad City Sales.

Also the "My fellow Americans" car commercials drive me nuts to the point that I just switch stations the minute I hear them.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:If you ever read a news story about someone being arrested for storming onto their lot and throat punching those two fuckers, don't be surprised to learn it was me.

That's what I always say about Peter Jackson for the hack job he's done on the dialogue for his two famous trilogies.

I mean I have a tape deck with options, just in your car you sort of think well I don't want to stick listening to my own MP3 collection, I want to be exposed to some various perspectives, I want to hear more than just what I already know I want to listen to. But for all there ought to be in the age of unlimited media, there's actually nothing at all.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:48 pm

For once I agree with ya.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:25 am

Bludgeon wrote:How did a show like this get popular, much less formulized. I hate these mindless ingratiating bastards. It kills me that someone would be flipping through the dial, hear the Bob and Tom show and say, "this is what I want to listen to." No news, no music, just a fucking laugh track and two idiots and one female idiot making shitty comments over a pre-recorded track of themselves laughing. That's right: a track of THEMSELVES laughing, while they talk over it. Because even they don't think it's a funny show.

I would actually give them a slight benefit of the doubt. I guess I could give their comedy a 2 or 3 on the scale of 1 to 10. However, the aforementioned laugh track takes them down to minus 5 rather quickly. I guess it sells, and they are not young, so I don't begrudge them their success. But I'm not going to listen to their crap either.

Bludgeon wrote:It's just tongue-to-the-toilet, straight low brow banality of the most illiterate and uneducated variety, set to a pathetic laugh track - a laugh track that presumably prevents the idiots who make up their listening audience from realizing that almost nothing they say is actually worth laughing at.

I would be hard-pressed to decide between 3 hours of Bob and Tom and 3 hours of Two Broke Girls, assuming Two Broke Girls with no audio was not an option.

Bludgeon wrote:Non-sequitur: How did Madison end up with such a shitty host of radio stations? NONE of them are good, with the exception of WORT, *if* you picked a good day to turn it on. There's almost nothing good or interesting to listen to, even if it's not all as repulsive as the Bob and Tom show.

It's particularly galling for me as a semi heavy metal fan, in that there was no heavy metal station in Madison, until the point that heavy metal started to really suck. THEN 94.1 decided to show up. WMJB (or whatever was up around 105.9) back in the 90's was good, but reception was very spotty on the far West Side.

other i
Forum Addict

Postby other i » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:04 am

You guys listen to the radio?

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:20 am

other i wrote:You guys listen to the radio?

There is stuff on the radio when the Brewers and Packers aren't playing?

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:12 pm

other i wrote:You guys listen to the radio?

Beats whistling, after the first 5 minutes of whistling anyway.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Bludgeon wrote: It kills me that someone would be flipping through the dial, hear the Bob and Tom show and say, "this is what I want to listen to." No news, no music, just a fucking laugh track and two idiots and one female idiot making shitty comments over a pre-recorded track of themselves laughing. That's right: a track of THEMSELVES laughing, while they talk over it. Because even they don't think it's a funny show.

I like the show and listen to it every day in the shower and then in the car on the way to work. I usually listen to NPR on the way home. This has been my routine for easily the last ten years.

I too was bothered by the laugh track. I thought long and hard about it as they have a breadth and depth of comedic understanding. I will not disagree it can be juvenile. But so can I. Anyway I figured out the laugh track all comes down to greed. They will make a song or bit and then play it on the air. They do not have canned laughter throughout the show. As they play the song or bit, they laugh at their own work. I too thought this lame. Why? Eventually I think the answer is greed. By having their laughter over the top of the songs, no other station can use it.

They are known as helping out comedians, so.

Igor wrote:I would be hard-pressed to decide between 3 hours of Bob and Tom and 3 hours of Two Broke Girls, assuming Two Broke Girls with no audio was not an option.

Ahh. Preemptive Strike: I liked watching Honey Boo Boo and The Trailer Park Boys.

Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Jademan7 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:06 pm

I have the same routine, I listen during the morning at home then in my car on the way to work. Pretty funny stuff. Much better than other Madison alternatives. They do a lot for up and coming comedians and they can be hit or miss, but it's a great opportunity for exposure for them. They help me start my day in a good mood. It's a lot better than being so bitter.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:53 pm

I never thought Bob & Tom were terrible, just bland. They lack any - what's the word - talent. They actually have a TV show of the radio show, believe or not. Having a visual doubles-down on the tedium. Obviously they appeal to some group, because they are widely syndicated.

I like the format of the variety talk radio show. I will watch Don Imus's program (simulcast on tv) with heavy use of a DVR fast forward button, he has an occasional good interview.

Howard Stern was a guilty pleasure.

Did anybody else like the Don & Mike Show that ran afternoons a few years back? Those guys had some wit.

The only radio show I've listened to much in recent years was Sly's radio show in the morning. Not much on anymore. Stephanie Miller is OK now and then for a laugh.

Return to “Catch All”