Two things to listen to - look into If'ing ya have the time

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Two things to listen to - look into If'ing ya have the time

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:33 am

The first is, mostly, an address by David Suzuki.
The second is an interview with Erika Janik about her new book.
I found these very interesting when consumed together.

https://www.kpfa.org/archive/id/99842

http://www.wpr.org/shows/marketplace-ma ... n-medicine

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Two things to listen to - look into If'ing ya have the t

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:27 am

those two links were very informative and interesting.

speaking of doing things concurrently or in rapid succession:

what percentage of forons like to do threesomes, 3-on-1, 3-on-2?

what are people's favourite antihistamines?

has anyone ever simultaneously kept fully-grown short-tailed/grey/lab opossums (monodelphis domestica, wagner 1842) together and have them get along well? hows about pet/four-toed/african pygmy/white-bellied hedgehogs (atelerix albiventris, wagner 1841). the former has no pouch in the female, so they are used in the lab in research about pregnancy since the scientists can just put them on a glass tray or in a large beaker and look at them from below to look at the developing joeys, nipples &c. they come from south america.

as far as media goes, someone here mentioned always watching bill o'rielly then watching the rachel maddow show immediately thereafter. i too find that mixing the two is very entertaining and increases the value of the o'rielly programme for people interested in both current affairs and the study of media as an end unto itself. they really shold consider having each other on their shows and maybe doing joint broadcasts for elections, political conventions, state of the union &c i agree with o'rielly's on-air commets about 15 per cent (i thought it would have been more since he is apparently a relatively conservative democrat not unlike larry kudlow) of the time and maddow about 97 per cent, although they both do have regular guests from the other side of political spectrum -- dennis kucinich's frequent o'rielly appearances are very good and maddow has right-of-centre commentators on her show and treats them with the same respect that she does all of the others

for the same reason i also read national review, cosmopolitan, the new republic and the progressive back to back, with paging back and forth amongst the economist and utne reader having a similar effect.

. . . in addition to the handelsblatt, the nation, commentary, weekly standard, mother jones, commonweal, new scientist, harpers, in these times, der spiegel, profil, maclean's, time, newsweek, u s news & world report, deutsche medizinische wochenschrift, and red hot snatch monthly &c, my daily round of wire services and newspaper/magazine/broadcaster web sites includes both al-jazeera and the israel broadcasting authority right after the other and then also syrian arab news agency, al-manar, ha'aretz, irna, aipac . . .

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:10 pm

gozer wrote:as far as media goes, someone here mentioned always watching bill o'rielly then watching the rachel maddow show immediately thereafter. i too find that mixing the two is very entertaining and increases the value of the o'rielly programme for people interested in both current affairs and the study of media as an end unto itself. they really shold consider having each other on their shows and maybe doing joint broadcasts for elections, political conventions, state of the union &c i agree with o'rielly's on-air commets about 15 per cent (i thought it would have been more since he is apparently a relatively conservative democrat not unlike larry kudlow) of the time and maddow about 97 per cent, although they both do have regular guests from the other side of political spectrum -- dennis kucinich's frequent o'rielly appearances are very good and maddow has right-of-centre commentators on her show and treats them with the same respect that she does all of the others

for the same reason i also read national review, cosmopolitan, the new republic and the progressive back to back, with paging back and forth amongst the economist and utne reader having a similar effect.

. . . in addition to the handelsblatt, the nation, commentary, weekly standard, mother jones, commonweal, new scientist, harpers, in these times, der spiegel, profil, maclean's, time, newsweek, u s news & world report, deutsche medizinische wochenschrift, and red hot snatch monthly &c, my daily round of wire services and newspaper/magazine/broadcaster web sites includes both al-jazeera and the israel broadcasting authority right after the other and then also syrian arab news agency, al-manar, ha'aretz, irna, aipac . . .

Why do these people hate America?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:09 am

Stella_Guru wrote: Why do these people hate America?

that is one of those questions where if one asks 20 people they are likely to get 36 answers.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:15 am

gozer wrote:those two links were very informative and interesting.

speaking of doing things concurrently or in rapid succession:

what percentage of forons like to do threesomes, 3-on-1, 3-on-2?

what are people's favourite antihistamines?

has anyone ever simultaneously kept fully-grown short-tailed/grey/lab opossums (monodelphis domestica, wagner 1842) together and have them get along well? hows about pet/four-toed/african pygmy/white-bellied hedgehogs (atelerix albiventris, wagner 1841). the former has no pouch in the female, so they are used in the lab in research about pregnancy since the scientists can just put them on a glass tray or in a large beaker and look at them from below to look at the developing joeys, nipples &c. they come from south america.

as far as media goes, someone here mentioned always watching bill o'rielly then watching the rachel maddow show immediately thereafter. i too find that mixing the two is very entertaining and increases the value of the o'rielly programme for people interested in both current affairs and the study of media as an end unto itself. they really shold consider having each other on their shows and maybe doing joint broadcasts for elections, political conventions, state of the union &c i agree with o'rielly's on-air commets about 15 per cent (i thought it would have been more since he is apparently a relatively conservative democrat not unlike larry kudlow) of the time and maddow about 97 per cent, although they both do have regular guests from the other side of political spectrum -- dennis kucinich's frequent o'rielly appearances are very good and maddow has right-of-centre commentators on her show and treats them with the same respect that she does all of the others

Yes, media - medium, are important words.
I think that you have spooled out a connection between a rich and diffuse broth and how we struggle to share information.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:11 pm

Here is a third -
I am now seeing a little beyond the D. Rumsfeld interview I heard six or so years ago -
http://www.npr.org/2014/02/12/275885377 ... e-asteroid

I do not know if any other members of this community know of Jean Heitz.
I do and I remember of what she warned of decades ago,
Such a strong educator.
The above link ties in nicely with what she taught, and presumably still teaches.
WE are at the point where WE MUST act and learn to ignore the siren calls to convince us that inaction is appropriate.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:43 am

Geez, a typical Howler mystery thread followed immediately by a Gozer digression. It's like having a round table talk in my dad's memory-care unit.

That last link was interesting though.

The dinosaurs were killed during the Fifth Extinction — which scientists suspect was caused by an asteroid. Now, we are living through an epoch that many scientists describe as the Sixth Extinction, and this time, human activity is the culprit. As one scientist put it: We're the asteroid.

Elizabeth Kolbert is the author of the new book The Sixth Extinction. It begins with a history of the "big five" extinctions of the past, and goes on to explain how human behavior is creating a sixth one — including our use of fossil fuels and the effects of climate change.

"We are effectively undoing the beauty and the variety and the richness of the world which has taken tens of millions of years to reach," Kolbert tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross. " ... We're sort of unraveling that. ... We're doing, it's often said, a massive experiment on the planet, and we really don't know what the end point is going to be."

We are definitely the asteroid. Nature works perfectly whether it's creating or killing, but humans do not. Everything we add to the environment is for our own conveniences and desires, and as a whole mankind pretty much refuses to consider the possible consequences so long as we're having fun.

I'm as guilty as anyone but at least I don't live under the conceit that we actually make the world better.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:56 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Nature works perfectly whether it's creating or killing, but humans do not. Everything we add to the environment is for our own conveniences and desires, and as a whole mankind pretty much refuses to consider the possible consequences so long as we're having fun. 

I concede that we have been on this trajectory for decades.

I'm as guilty as anyone but at least I don't live under the conceit that we actually make the world better.

I will not concede that we are incapable of better.
It is very easy to be sloppy and lazy.
It is much more interesting to be allowed to enact creative and more sustainable solutions.
Too bad that our corporate media empire teaches away from the good WE are capable of.
It will be very bad if we cannot get back to a functional system of democracy /self governance in the face of this adversity.
The consequences of inaction will be severe.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:18 am

Oh there's no doubt that we can make the world better for us. But the notion that our meddling with, and effect on the natural world is anything but detrimental..... I don't buy it. There's a reason that we hold the parts of the world that are supposedly "untouched by man" in such high regard. We know.

Maybe we're meant to be part of earth's fate though.

Return to “Catch All”