another botched execution?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

another botched execution?

Postby gozer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:01 am

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/16/justice/o ... -execution

that doesn't sound like the impact of 500 mg of d and 15 mg of midazolam in the arse cheek to me. maybe somebody was stepping on his medication?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: another botched execution?

Postby Roy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:58 pm

He rapped and murdered a pregnant 22-yr-old woman.

No sympathy here, even more suffering would have been just.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:12 am

Sandi wrote:He rapped and murdered a pregnant 22-yr-old woman.

there are indeed things, like that for example, a person could do which very well could deserve a fate worse than death, which i have no doubt the system could easily devise -- which may be an argument against the death penalty, no less. such an alternative may actually have the deterrence effect, and be able to be reversed in cases where the system screwed the pooch.

my preference would be that the state not kill anyone, but if they must in cases like this, a jab of carbolic acid right in the heart, an strychnine brownie, or a bunch of atropine right up the main line would have been more appropriate. why should they use the good stuff for that? a half-gramme of d will keep even the worst pain away for days to months depending on tolerance and the aetiology and intensity of pain and make the patient feel just like jesus son. an entire big bottle of the strong stuff all at once!

i am thinking that in this case, the condemned prisoner was not kept in general population, where he would be exposed to the usual pecking order, e.g. apparently in gaol and prison rapists do very poorly . . . most assuredly less expensive and worse than years on death row before being sent off in a supernatural calm and then ecstatic rush of euphoria with a killer charge of dilly in one's system.

another quandry: what is to be done with people who committed atrocities in a quest for martyrdom? completing the job for them hardly seems appropriate.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Sandi wrote:He rapped and murdered a pregnant 22-yr-old woman.

I find it odd (not really) that someone who has shown concern for constitutional provisions seems to completely disregard the 8th Amendment protections.
Sandi wrote:...the constitution guarantees us freedoms. Apparently many freedoms that you and many democrats like you would rather we didn't have.

Sandi wrote:Yes Congress has ignored this, and other parts of the Constitution it doesn't like for decades. That doesn't make it right, or legal.

Where is this Sandi now?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:28 pm

jman I think you need to drop the attitude.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Sandi, please clarify your inconsistent statements. Does the cruel and unusual clause of the Eighth Amendment matter or do you want bad people tortured when the state takes their lives? Don't talk about attitudes, talk about your position instead.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Sandi wrote:Can't attack the message, so attack the messenger.

How true. May I suggest the following advice?
Sandi wrote:Try again but address the content not me.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:35 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Sandi, please clarify your inconsistent statements. Does the cruel and unusual clause of the Eighth Amendment matter or do you want bad people tortured when the state takes their lives? Don't talk about attitudes, talk about your position instead.

Thank you for asking.

The inconsistency is only perceived. Because I am not a judge, or justice I will not ever be enforcing, or making legal judgements on any part of the Constitution or it's Amendments. It is our actions, not our thoughts that can be judged in this country.

Therefore my opinions, whether knee-jerk or long thought out, have little to do with my love and appreciation of the Constitution.

Claiming inconsistency is just something to run with and build with straw.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:43 am

Sandi wrote:Therefore my opinions, whether knee-jerk or long thought out, have little to do with my love and appreciation of the Constitution.

In other words, despite your very human reaction that the convicted rapist should have suffered more, you understand and accept that our Constitution will prevent that from ever happening. And that's a good thing. I totally agree.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:53 am

DCB wrote:
Sandi wrote:Therefore my opinions, whether knee-jerk or long thought out, have little to do with my love and appreciation of the Constitution.

In other words, despite your very human reaction that the convicted rapist should have suffered more, you understand and accept that our Constitution will prevent that from ever happening. And that's a good thing. I totally agree.

Yes agreed, glad someone gets my point.

Return to “National Politics & Government”