rand paul's a dick

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

rand paul's a dick

Postby gozer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:22 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/2 ... 69552.html

tut tut tut
appealing to the pubic's worst traits and darkest impulses . . . sort of like starr/gop & co did, and even the clintonians briefly when resorting to the lewinsky's-a-stalker defence.

i did expect better from paul

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: rand paul's a dick

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm failing to see the dick aspect of this one. I don't agree with Paul's wife who stated that Bill's past should be taken into account when considering Hillary for President, but it doesn't seem like Paul agrees with his wife on that point either.

As far as Clinton's activities with the 20 year old intern, predatory is a fair call, and hardly an appeal to our base nature. If it was revealed that the president of a major company was doing the same with a 20 year old unpaid company intern, he or she would be turning in their resignation to the board in short order.

It's not about the sex, it's about the abuse of power.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:59 pm

Do you also condemn a married five star general who had sex with a subordiante, his female driver? His initials are DDE.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I'm failing to see the dick aspect of this one. I don't agree with Paul's wife who stated that Bill's past should be taken into account when considering Hillary for President, but it doesn't seem like Paul agrees with his wife on that point either.

As far as Clinton's activities with the 20 year old intern, predatory is a fair call, and hardly an appeal to our base nature. If it was revealed that the president of a major company was doing the same with a 20 year old unpaid company intern, he or she would be turning in their resignation to the board in short order.

It's not about the sex, it's about the abuse of power.

Nope. This is dumb. A TON of CEO's are banging consenting adults in their 20's. Hell a lot of them marry them even!

Paul was trying to equate sex between consenting adults to the GOP's platform of paying women less, and getting their government all up in their vaginas. Sorry Randall. That's fucking stupid.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Do you also condemn a married five star general who had sex with a subordiante, his female driver? His initials are DDE.

No, but then I don't condemn Clinton either. Clinton's relationship with an intern has no bearing on his effectiveness as a president, but rather if he made good choices as a private human being.

The difference of course between how Clinton and Eisenhower (or JFK for that matter) are perceived in this area has more to do with how society views consensual relationships between subordinates and superiors in the work place.

fisticuffs wrote:Paul was trying to equate sex between consenting adults to the GOP's platform of paying women less, and getting their government all up in their vaginas. Sorry Randall. That's fucking stupid.

Where the hell are you pulling this from? Paul was responding to a reporter's question regarding a statement his wife made. Both his wife's comment and his were in regards to Clinton having consensual sex with a woman who was (incredibly) subordinate to him.
Do you have more info than was in the Huffington article?

As far as the "Tons" of CEO's, go ask a Ton of HR directors how they would address the issue of a sexual relationship between an intern and a executive in a large corporation. Happy acceptance probably isn't the answer you will get.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:15 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:As far as Clinton's activities with the 20 year old intern, predatory is a fair call, and hardly an appeal to our base nature. If it was revealed that the president of a major company was doing the same with a 20 year old unpaid company intern, he or she would be turning in their resignation to the board in short order.

Not necessarily; is she a direct report? Does he have substantial influence over her role?

from what I remember of the situation, if anyone was a "predator" it was Lewinsky.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:19 pm

"For all these people who stand up for Bill Clinton and say he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, he was a serial philanderer," the senator said on Wednesday.

Paul said he was "not so sure" what the former president’s improprieties had to do with a potential Hillary Clinton bid, but added, "I mean, like I said, it's hard to separate them."

"She's had to tolerate the same sort of problems from him, you know, I guess, over time," Paul said. "[I]t's more a question of the entire Democratic party who says there's a war on women and that somehow the other party's committing this and yet they support and defend a guy who, really, in the workplace was doing something that was inexcusable, should not be tolerated."

"There's been a lot of talk of a war on women and I am very concerned ... that women be treated equally and fairly in the workplace, and one of the worst things that can happen is if your boss takes advantage of you in the workplace," Paul said on Wednesday. "Many of the Democrats today still defend [Bill Clinton] and think he's the greatest thing. But he was a person who took advantage of a young girl in the workplace and I think that's inexcusable and that kind of war on women should end."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/3 ... =politics#

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:35 pm

More directly to the point of being a dick, the following excerpts:
Paul said he was "not so sure" what the former president’s improprieties had to do with a potential Hillary Clinton bid, but added, "I mean, like I said, it's hard to separate them."

But he was a person who took advantage of a young girl in the workplace and I think that's inexcusable and that kind of war on women should end."

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Maybe it is just the fact that he implies there is no such thing as a republican 'taking advantage of a young girl in the workplace' that makes him such a dick, no?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:40 pm

A young girl? Would he also call a 20-year-old male a boy?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:46 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:As far as the "Tons" of CEO's, go ask a Ton of HR directors how they would address the issue of a sexual relationship between an intern and a executive in a large corporation. Happy acceptance probably isn't the answer you will get.

I don't know where you work, but I think you're a bit off on your understanding of the general corporate environment today.

An HR director would have nothing to say about anything unless the relationship involved a direct or chain reporting subordinate; or someone complained about the relationship, be it the involved subordinate or an outsider complaining about favoritism.

An intern is even less concerning. People are people, consenting adults outside these specific, reasonable limitations are free to co-mingle.

Friday nights at the bar, game on. The HR director is there, too.

cloudy
Forum Addict

Postby cloudy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:41 pm

Monica Lewinsky was a 22 year old government employee when the Clinton affair started. Much less racy than the "20 year-old intern" lie that doesn't seem to go away.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:33 pm

wack wack wrote:I don't know where you work, but I think you're a bit off on your understanding of the general corporate environment today.

Most of my adult life in corporate america, specifically financial institutions. My understanding comes from many annual required training courses.

wack wack wrote:An HR director would have nothing to say about anything unless the relationship involved a direct or chain reporting subordinate; or someone complained about the relationship, be it the involved subordinate or an outsider complaining about favoritism.

two things: One, anyone working in the executive branch would in theory be subordinate to the President. You really want to claim a 22 year old intern didn't think the President had the ability to directly influence her career? Two, my original statement was that if it was revealed, there would be issues, not if it happened.

wack wack wrote:An intern is even less concerning. People are people, consenting adults outside these specific, reasonable limitations are free to co-mingle.

Friday nights at the bar, game on. The HR director is there, too.

Again, two points. One, when one of the two consenting adults has a real or perceived influence over the wellbeing of the other, the consent comes into question. Two, This wasn't happening at the local bar on game night, but workplace of the highest executive in the US.

@Jman,
Thanks for the link, I do agree that those comments made today, put a different spin on the issue then his remarks from Sunday as they were reported in the earlier link. Doesn't change my read on Clinton's actions as far a Lewinski, and really doesn't make me think much less of Rand (low target to begin with), but I do agree it's a dick subject to even be discussing this incident in regards to current political issues.

Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Zoti Bemba » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:37 pm

"There's been a lot of talk of a war on women and I am very concerned ... that women be treated equally and fairly in the workplace, and one of the worst things that can happen is if your boss takes advantage of you in the workplace," Paul said on Wednesday. "Many of the Democrats today still defend [Bill Clinton] and think he's the greatest thing. But he was a person who took advantage of a young girl in the workplace and I think that's inexcusable and that kind of war on women should end."

When Senator Paul manages to expand his definition of "take advantage of" to include wages, hours, benefits and working conditions, then I will be willing to listen to what he has to say. Because at present I think that he and his party are more than happy to "take advantage of" women's reproductive biology to restrict our medical coverage and our human rights. This leads me to think that he and his party would lean toward "taking advantage of" women, or any other group they can divide out and pick on, in as many other ways as they can think of, given the opportunity, in an appeal for the political support of this country's petty tyrants of social and economic privilege.

Senator Paul wants to pretend it's all about sex, but really it's about power. And it ain't just the women who are being "taken advantage of." But somehow I doubt we'll ever hear Senator Paul glibly condemn that kind of war.

Return to “National Politics & Government”