85 richest people have as much as poorest 3.5 billion

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
manoletters
Forum Addict

85 richest people have as much as poorest 3.5 billion

Postby manoletters » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Heard today on Wisconsin Public Radio this report documents how the 85 richest people on Earth have as much as the poorest 3.5 billion people COMBINED. That's $1.7 Trillion. All men may be "created" equal, but the notorious "Free Enterprise System" certainly guarantees that all women and men won't stay that way! And the children have no say whatsoever, so they really don't count at all. Ah, but these freakkin' billionaires NEED their billions in order to.... ensure that they can... purchase other planets, I suppose... after they've finally succeeded in utterly destroying this one.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... -the-world

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 85 richest people have as much as poorest 3.5 billion

Postby Shorty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:21 pm

How revolting. Why can't the poor rise up and revolt?

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:47 pm

Shorty wrote:How revolting. Why can't the poor rise up and revolt?

Why should they? And I mean that in two ways. In order to accomplish what? And what justifies it?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:43 pm

Dangerousman wrote:

Why should they? And I mean that in two ways. In order to accomplish what? And what justifies it?

Why? To take back the country from the thieving one percent.

What justifies it? The existence of a thieving one percent.

manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby manoletters » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:15 pm

I was expecting the talented Mr. Blaska to weigh in, defending the Super Rich as per usual. What's detained him? Is he too busy blaming the denizens of Bettys Lane for their own plight?

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Should the .9% of the 1% who are poorer than the .1% rise up in revolt?

Someone will always have more money than you.

manoletters wrote:I was expecting the talented Mr. Blaska to weigh in, defending the Super Rich as per usual. What's detained him? Is he too busy blaming the denizens of Bettys Lane for their own plight?

He hasn't posted on here in eons, ever since his column was nixed.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:57 pm

3.5 billion people? I'll bet they all have sagging pants, and talk 'ghetto'.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 pm

c'mon ... that's totally gonna trickle down ... uh ... eventually. yeah.

Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:10 pm

minicat wrote:c'mon ... that's totally gonna trickle down ... uh ... eventually. yeah.

Entropy demands it! Just wait a couple of billion years, then you'll see! Those 85 people sure will feel deprived then, when their trillions finally randomly distribute to the rest of us!

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:56 am

Gravity favors spheroids, that eventually spin out to some kind of disk.
Gravity tends to level all bodies ... think about the story about aspirations of the people of Babylon.
We fail to recognize our 'small' scale.
There is a very special place in hell for those who take advantage of this.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:25 am

Overreach, in a very extreme way.
Are you tasting it, yet?
I have, and it is bitter,
Not acceptable.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:34 am

"this is fantastic news" says teevee douche.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:36 am

Zoti Bemba wrote:
minicat wrote:c'mon ... that's totally gonna trickle down ... uh ... eventually. yeah.

Entropy demands it!

Except that Maxwell's Demon is working for the Koch Brothers.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

wack wack wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:

Why? To take back the country from the thieving one percent.

What justifies it? The existence of a thieving one percent.

Well that just doesn't make any sense on a number of levels. First of all, the premise is that the richest 85 people in the world have as much as the poorest 3.5 billion. It wasn't anything about just this country. I looked at a list of who the richest 85 people are in the world, and if you want to "take back the country" from them, you'd be "taking back" TWENTY-THREE countries: Mexico, USA, Spain, Hong Kong, France, Sweden, Germany, India, Italy, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Russia, Chile, Australia, Nigeria, Ukraine, Thailand, Colombia, Japan, Phillipines, South Korea and Malaysia. If he puts another few million in his pocket, you'll be taking China back from Zong Qinghou too.

Secondly, a "thief" is someone who steals another person's property. How is producing or creating a product that has a demand and is successful theft? What sort of thivery is going on because Microsoft software is popular? How is producing Mars candybars theft? How is Bloomberg's financial software stealing from you? You don't benefit from your PC? You don't like chocolate? You don't use Google? You would rather do all financial analysis using paper and pencil? What basis is there to presume that the richest people acquired their wealth by means of theft and not by successfully producing something that people want and benefit from having? Is just being rich a crime? Sounds like a lot of people seem to think so. Some of these ultra-rich people give away huge amount of money too. I'll wager that Bill Gates has donated more money than the poorest 3.5 billion people have combined. Have you ever read about Warren Buffett's lifestyle? Even Mike Bloomberg, someone I despise, is approaching 3 billion dollars in philanthropic donations. He may be an asshole for a lot of reasons, but I don't see why anyone would consider him a thief. Do you simply think it is impossible to acquire great wealth by honest means?

Do you think the rich people have more influence on the government than you do? Maybe they do. But when the Walton's are considering putting in a store, it's probably going to have a greater impact on the overall scheme of things than when you want to get a building permit to remodel your attic. I'm also sure that the government gives greater consideration to rebuilding or expanding the beltline than it does to having a truck drive down your street to fill the crack. You want equality? Well how would you like it if all Wal-Mart had to do to add a store was to have the contractor go get a building permit? That would be equality, right?

Those 85 richest people represent a very wide range. There's probably a huge difference in how Saudi oil sheiks acquired their billions compared to how the Mars Candy people acquired theirs, or the Google people, theirs. And there's probably no more justification to lump them all together as "thieving" than there is to lump the 3.5 billion poorest together as unproductive lazy leeches.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:47 am

Dangerousman wrote:Well that just doesn't make any sense on a number of levels.

Yeah, Mr. 18th Century, you're an authority on "sensible."

Dangerousman wrote:Do you think the rich people have more influence on the government than you do? Maybe they do.

Maybe? Now that's nonsense. Absolutely, unequivocally, beyond any question, the rich have more influence.

Did you completely avoid considering living wage issues on purpose? That's where the thieving is. Millionaires paying employees less than a living wage is absurd. Accepting compensation hundreds of times larger than your employees is thieving.

Return to “Headlines”