Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby rabble » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:14 pm

A Wisconsin teacher refused to accept an award from Rep. Paul Ryan during a ceremony last week, saying he couldn't do so "in good conscience" because of the Republican congressman's politics.

Al Levie, a high school social studies teacher in Racine, Wis., was one of three recipients of a Martin Luther King Jr. humanitarian award during a celebration honoring the late civil rights leader. Ryan, who represents the district, was on hand to present congressional recognitions to each award winner, the Kenosha News reported:


And as can be seen in the comments, plenty of conservatives think that whole "free speech" thing should only be applied to bibles in hotel rooms and manufacturers of duck calls.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1707
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby Igor » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:16 am

rabble wrote:
A Wisconsin teacher refused to accept an award from Rep. Paul Ryan during a ceremony last week, saying he couldn't do so "in good conscience" because of the Republican congressman's politics.

Al Levie, a high school social studies teacher in Racine, Wis., was one of three recipients of a Martin Luther King Jr. humanitarian award during a celebration honoring the late civil rights leader. Ryan, who represents the district, was on hand to present congressional recognitions to each award winner, the Kenosha News reported:


And as can be seen in the comments, plenty of conservatives think that whole "free speech" thing should only be applied to bibles in hotel rooms and manufacturers of duck calls.


This kind of thing happens all the time. Athletes have balked at meeting both Clinton and Bush at the White House for political reasons. The father of Randy Shughart would not shake Clinton's hand. I believe that I heard that there were anti-Walker protesters at the MLK proclamation today as well. It seems like our only options are to either learn to respect the rank of officials even if we do not respect the person holding them, or alternatively, divide all occasions into "us" and "them" like so much else these days.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:33 am
Location: Near East Sider

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:27 am

To respect the rank, one would need to be able to respect the process that led to the rank. So. No.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:55 am

Violet_Skye wrote:To respect the rank, one would need to be able to respect the process that led to the rank. So. No.


You mean the election that Ryan won by over 10%?

The ridiculousness of this teacher's reaction to me has far more to do with the fact that Ryan is naught but the messenger delivering an award. Had he raised issue with the politics of the group that selected him as the winner I might respect his position, but he is trying to make a cheap political point based who was the delivery boy. Would he have accepted this award if it had been dropped in his mailbox, ignoring the fact that the same conservative House is the one that selected him.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5094
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:18 pm

I think the teacher had every right to refuse to accept the award. I don't think it was the right or a classy thing to do. I think there are occasions in which people should set politics aside.

I wouldn't vote for Paul Ryan. I don't agree with many of his positions. But I'd accept an award from him, and I'd be cordial about it.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby rabble » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:21 pm

gargantua wrote:I think the teacher had every right to refuse to accept the award. I don't think it was the right or a classy thing to do. I think there are occasions in which people should set politics aside.

I wouldn't vote for Paul Ryan. I don't agree with many of his positions. But I'd accept an award from him, and I'd be cordial about it.

Disagree. The award itself matters. If Ryan was handing me an award for keeping a nice lawn, I'd accept it. I might or might not shake his hand or say much beyond "thank you" but I'd accept it.

Accepting an award in Martin Luther King's name is quite another thing, given Ryan's history. That's an insult to a lot of people and I would either not go or I'd do what Mr Levie did, or I would be offering the same insult.

other i
Forum Addict
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby other i » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:27 pm

I'd be interested in knowing where (if anywhere) you'd draw a line between this case and the Debra Sweet/Nixon case.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby rabble » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:37 pm

The same year as Kent State, and after listening to him tell us that we were good Americans because we weren't protesting in the streets?

That's a tough one.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1707
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby Igor » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:20 pm

rabble wrote:Accepting an award in Martin Luther King's name is quite another thing, given Ryan's history. That's an insult to a lot of people and I would either not go or I'd do what Mr Levie did, or I would be offering the same insult.


To which group are we limiting the "allowed to be associated with MLK day" group? Do the people that don't pass the test still get the day off? Of course, Walker and Ryan can't win, because if they don't acknowledge MLK day, they will be criticized just as heavily as if they do. If we are going to limit this to people that have taken the same risks as MLK in the name of organized labor or racial equality, I'm pretty sure that very few citizens fit the bill.

And let's not even mention that we are honoring a clergyman with a national holiday, thus violating the establishment clause of the first amendment. :)

bdog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3428
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby bdog » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:10 am

This happened 2 years ago. We argued about it then.

Slow news day?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:36 am

bdog wrote:This happened 2 years ago. We argued about it then.

Slow news day?


You're right, who want's to argue over the same thing over and over again.

BIGwiscon
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:31 pm
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby BIGwiscon » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:37 pm

YEAH teacher. A good role model for his students. A man who stand up for his beliefs.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5094
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
bdog wrote:This happened 2 years ago. We argued about it then.

Slow news day?


You're right, who want's to argue over the same thing over and over again.

Oh yeah? You got a PROBLEM with that?!?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2400
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby gozer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:24 am

what was the specific thing that cong ryan did to which the teacher objected?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21670
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Teacher refuses award from Paul Ryan

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:14 am

Some say the teacher should have respected Paul Ryan's office and put politics aside. Would you offer the same advise to Waukesha's mayor?

Waukesha mayor plans to be a no-show at Obama stop

Our guess is that most mayors — even those outside the United States — would welcome a visit to their city by the president of the United States. Such visits bring a lot of attention to the city, and the mayors have an opportunity to highlight all the good things happening in their towns. They also most likely would attend events involving the president, no matter which party the president belongs to, at the very least as a sign of respect.

Not Waukesha Mayor Jeff Scrima.

When President Barack Obama visits a GE plant in Waukesha Thursday to tout his initiative on manufacturing, Scrima will be absent.


Return to “Local Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests