Duluth's Homeless Bill of Rights...

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Duluth's Homeless Bill of Rights...

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:04 pm

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/288596/

Duluth became the first city in the state to pass a resolution supporting the establishment of a Homeless Bill of Rights on Monday night...

... The document states that people who lack homes should nevertheless enjoy the same rights to inhabit public places as other members of society.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Duluth's Homeless Bill of Rights...

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:51 pm

The US Bill of Rights already applies to homeless people, correct? Are you asserting that homelessness entitles one to additional rights?

I think homelessness is a terrible situation for those who do not choose it. But this strikes me as a pretty empty gesture, as opposed to, you know, actually taking care of them.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:11 pm

It is a completely different world when you're homeless. Re-entering non-homelessness is an experience as well. It's seems that people can sense the disorganization you went through and often want to blame you for whatever else is happening around them. They seem to like the power that comes from that.

Obviously, people treat you differently when you're homeless, so it looks like Duluth decided to try and give some dignity to the homeless as if they really are people.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:25 pm

gargantua wrote:The US Bill of Rights already applies to homeless people, correct? Are you asserting that homelessness entitles one to additional rights?

I think homelessness is a terrible situation for those who do not choose it. But this strikes me as a pretty empty gesture, as opposed to, you know, actually taking care of them.

If you have no home to go to, and there are public spaces--warm ones, this time of year--that you are regularly chased out of, then asserting your right to that public space is "actually taking care of them." It's a minimal effort, but one the City of Madison seems determined to avoid.

Yes, I realize there can be health and security issues when refusing to curtail the citizen rights of the homeless, but these issues do not go away just because they have been chased out of the City County building--they just get pushed somewhere else with less access to city services. And in any case the greatest health and security risks are to the homeless people themselves, not to the people with homes to go to. It is also worth remembering that a good percentage of homeless people are largely invisible to the public, families bunking with friends, high school kids living in their cars, and people endlessly shuttling from town to town, shelter to shelter. Refusing to deny their access to public spaces only makes their lives more difficult, and interferes with their ability to pull themselves out of their situation.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:14 pm

I think the homeless should have the same access as anyone else to public spaces. By and large, I thought they already did, with the exception of the city/county building.

This is a tough winter to be homeless here. I can't even imagine what it must be like up in Duluth.

klambake

Postby klambake » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:19 pm

They have not been chased out of the City County building.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:02 pm

klambake wrote:They have not been chased out of the City County building.

Glad to hear it. Do they know that?

klambake

Postby klambake » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Yep, they're there everyday. Except, interestingly, when it was so freakin' cold? Even though CCB was noted as a 'warming center' in some City press releases. Must have had somewhere else to go on those days.

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:56 pm

As best I can tell, here is the Duluth resolution supporting the Homeless Bill of Rights:

http://www.duluthmn.gov/clerk/council/r ... -0042r.pdf

Here is the Madison Common council resolution adopted in October of last year supporting Principles for the Homeless:

https://madison.legistar.com/ViewReport ... (With+Text)

I guess the Madison Common Council should have called it a "Bill of Rights" to be ahead of Duluth.

Return to “National Politics & Government”