Dog-owners, please respect your neighbors.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
dkbastard

Dog-owners, please respect your neighbors.

Postby dkbastard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:56 am

Walking to work everyday, I cross a footbridge over a bikepath that had been made quite picturesque by the snow we've had. However, since temperatures dropped, we haven't had new snow. Now the snowbanks are yellowed every other step and the footing has become an obstacle course of feces.

Dog-owners! Please, respect your neighbors! Have the common decency to use your own spaces for your dogs' dirty work. Do not use the cold as an excuse to stop cleaning up after your dogs. Do not make our public spaces disgusting and unsanitary. If you cannot, do not have dogs.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dog-owners, please respect your neighbors.

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:32 pm

dkbastard wrote:Have the common decency to use your own spaces for your dogs' dirty work.

When you take your dog for a walk, how are you supposed to stop them from pissing. I can see the poop part and that pisses me off, but you mention urine. You can't stop a dog from peeing.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Unsanitary?
Pro-tip: Don't eat yellow snow.

It's also worth mentioning that while I wholeheartedly agree that dog owners should be cleaning up their pets' poop, we are talking about the great outdoors here. It's pretty much just one big bathroom for every species except people.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:32 pm

dkbastard wrote:However, since temperatures dropped, we haven't had new snow. Now the snowbanks are yellowed every other step and the footing has become an obstacle course of feces.

Sounds like your beef's as much with Mother Nature for not covering it up as it is with dog owners for not picking it up, but I don't think she's a foron.

All dog owners should pick up what can be picked up in the wake of their dogs. Dog pee though? Sorry, you gotta get over that.

TeachInPeace
Forum Addict

Postby TeachInPeace » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:44 pm

Agree totally, that pee happens, and while yellow snow is ugly - are you SURE it's dog pee? My alley is a racoon/skunk/possum superhighway.

Meanwhile - here's my dilemma - my dog likes to climb into the deepest possible snowbank to do his business. Which means that sometimes, SOMETIMES (like 1 in 5, maybe) - I can't seem to find the "result" in order to remove it - bag in hand, full of snow. This gives me probably an unreasonable amount of guilt (diligent about clean ups) but, what is the contingency here? Come back with a hair dryer and extension cord? It'll be findable eventually, I guess...

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:31 am

TeachInPeace wrote:what is the contingency here?

Pick up a "rogue" from time to time. Then you'll be sure to come out ahead even if you "lose" one.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:50 pm

bdog wrote:
TeachInPeace wrote:what is the contingency here?

Pick up a "rogue" from time to time. Then you'll be sure to come out ahead even if you "lose" one.

I really like that idea. There has to be good kharma following an act like that. Kind of like fixing someone else's pitch mark on a golf green.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:59 pm

TeachInPeace wrote:my dog likes to climb into the deepest possible snowbank to do his business.

My old dog used to get as deep into the bushes as he could before dropping one, and I loved it because that's where poop belongs. Where it can succumb to the elements and go gently to poop heaven. Tied tightly into a plastic bag and tossed into the trash where it will liquify and cook and fester and possibly squirt out all over some innocent sanitation worker, is not the road to poop heaven. Not the case in winter but still not the right thing to do.

I pick it up and walk to the nearest brush or tall grass (on public or railroad land, mind you) and put it there. It's fine.

Anyone who's walking it home with them and then taking it into the house and flushing it down the toilet (one of the city's recommendations) needs to stop in front of the bathroom mirror, look at themselves, and have a moment of clarity.

And what's with you people who bag it and then tie it to your dog's collar for the trip home? What kind of message is that sending to the dog? I can guess what kind of message your dog is sending to you.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:11 pm

http://www.swankpets.com/fashionable-cu ... -1111.html

Who doesn't like some "cute female diapers?"

Who's a good doggy? Whoooo's a good doggy?!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:14 pm

When I was a kid I lived next to a family with a bunch of kids, a big yard and a collie. I don't know if they ever picked up their yard. For the first year or two their lawn was uneven and blotchy. After a few years it all grew together to a deep green.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Bwis53 wrote:When I was a kid I lived next to a family with a bunch of kids, a big yard and a collie. I don't know if they ever picked up their yard. For the first year or two their lawn was uneven and blotchy. After a few years it all grew together to a deep green.

I've never seen a dog that provides evenly-dispensed poop. My dog spends a considerable amount of time crapping in the yard, including an inordinate time selecting just the right spot to lay down some doggy doo doo. He hasn't come close to giving it a evenly-distributed deep green hue. Indeed he appears to be an aficionado of the Jackson Pollock School of Scatologial Arts.

I suspect your neighbors grew tired of having a shitty looking yard and started throwing down some Weed 'n Feed. Works for me.

What I don't understand are the people who bag their dog's shit, and then abandon the doggy bag next to the sidewalk. What, do you think some lucky person is going to say "Wow! Finders keepers!"?

Note to some of my gun thread pals... make sure you stomp that flaming bag on your door step and stomp it good and hard.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Our English Setter, if left to her own devices, consumes her own doo doo as if they were little frozen tootsie rolls. Look dad, I'm a fucking vending machine!

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:50 pm

david cohen wrote:Our English Setter, if left to her own devices, consumes her own doo doo as if they were little frozen tootsie rolls. Look dad, I'm a fucking vending machine!

Have a friend whose dog would do the same thing. The vet gave him something to give to the dog to help it be less appetizing. I am at a loss as to what you would have to add to poop to make it taste worse.

TeachInPeace
Forum Addict

Postby TeachInPeace » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:23 am

I read somewhere that it's a sign of a nutrient deficiency...maybe the vet gave you vitamins? Dogs can be so gross - mine hasn't shown that tendency...yet.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:12 pm

How about you guys train your dogs to poo in your own yards before you take them on walks? They'll still want to mark, but at least you can relieve the rest of us of the turd issue.

And before you say "it can't be done," yes, it can be done. You already trained them to poo in public spaces, so of course you can train them to poo in private ones--yours, in particular.

Irish setters excepted, of course.

Return to “Town Vibe”