Dell Ad "This Magic Moment"

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Dell Ad "This Magic Moment"

Postby Donald » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:08 pm

A Doc Pomus song, originally recorded by the Drifters, then covered by Jay and the Americans, the Dell ad out now has an interesting partial cover of "This Magic Moment." It's done by The Felice Brothers, who put a country/'grass touch to the song.

I like the snippets I hear in the ad, and wish there was an actual song out there by the Felice Brothers. But, alas, there isn't. At least I can't find one.

I like groups that bend songs from one genre to another, but I'm hearing that others hate the treatment the Felice Brothers give it.

Anyone else hear "hit" with the song in this Dell ad?

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7f62/dell-beginn ... e-brothers

just wondering

Re: Dell Ad "This Magic Moment"

Postby just wondering » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Dells' use of the words and butchered melody in their new commercial should be a violation of copyright laws. does anyone know if the original copyright, which is still legally binding for 70 years after the death of the original copyright holder, has indeed been violated? just curious.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:26 am

yes, it's true. is there some reason they were unable to use the original in the advertisement?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:25 am

to clarify, it's true that the dell version of it sucked arse.

it's almost as bad as the motor oil commercial i saw on al-jazeera last night with a similar butchery of a total eclipse of the heart, originally by the mormon tabernacle choir then covered by pink floyd in 1923 -- a good 135-bpm dance remix of that was going years ago the day i was riding home from the dispensary with my first script of dilaudid hp and administering it in the back seat -- it came on just as the itch started going up my arm and went to the refrain just as it reached the base of my skull in a muffled explosion.

it was just like drugstore cowboy. everything was grand then. the ants in the grass -- they were just doing their thing. the people playing around with this magic moment, they'd figure it out soon enough. tommy thompson, he wasn't so bad . . . everything took on the rose coloured glow of a 4 mg (16th of a grain) dilaudid tablet, the colour of unlimited success . . .

so now it's one of those place and setting things, just like van heflin's dancing in the moonlight reminds of being high on morphine, the catcher in the rye reminds me of smoking op, several mahler pieces have their own opiate/opioid associations, and when it is cold outside i think of cunnilingus and political intrigue and when it is fifty below outside it reminds me of doing this delicious 69. so the ateoth butchery irritates me like the screaming shits in stage iii opiate withdrawal.

Return to “General Music”