Figgering on biggering

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Figgering on biggering

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:12 am

Interesting report on an aspect of beef production:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/ ... NV20131230

I found it interesting how guarded some experts interviewed for this article were.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_libel_laws

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Figgering on biggering

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:18 am

The cases of hoofless cattle also raise ethical questions about whether the drive by modern agriculture to produce greater volumes of food, as cheaply as possible, is coming at the cost of animal welfare.
So killing animals for food doesn't hurt an animal's welfare... wow! It's not the comment you meant, but it shows how guarded, or maybe conditioned, even the media is to the absurd reality in slaughterhouses.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:19 am

jonnygothispen wrote:
The cases of hoofless cattle also raise ethical questions about whether the drive by modern agriculture to produce greater volumes of food, as cheaply as possible, is coming at the cost of animal welfare.
So killing animals for food doesn't hurt an animal's welfare... wow! It's not the comment you meant, but it shows how guarded, or maybe conditioned, even the media is to the absurd reality in slaughterhouses.

"Look," said Zaphod, "we want to eat, we don't want to make a meal of the issues. Four rare stakes please, and hurry. We haven't eaten in five hundred and seventy-six thousand million years."

The animal staggered to its feet. It gave a mellow gurgle. "A very wise choice, sir, if I may say so. Very good," it said, "I'll just nip off and shoot myself."

He turned and gave a friendly wink to Arthur. "Don't worry, sir," he said, "I'll be very humane."

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:53 am

The concept of a New Year should be a happy thing.
Appearantly, we have much work to do.

Whether one chooses to eat beef or not should not be an existential choice.

The brutal slime bags who enable the grosser and grosser work against their own self interest.

Return to “Headlines”