Duck Dynasty

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Duck Dynasty

Postby Shorty » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Phil's suspension is over so now things can bet back to normal. I'm going to sit back, relax, and watch those guys goof off and have fun. Aren't there yuppie wives cuties? Isn't Si funny? Happy happy happy.
Last edited by Shorty on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Duck Dynasty

Postby rabble » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:24 am

What I love about them is the way they used to look before the beards.

That was probably when they were complaining about them bearded longhaired unkempt hippie bastards.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:48 pm

I watched a lot of these "reality" shows last year, but figured out they were almost as scripted as any other sit-com or drama on TV. There's nothing real about them. So, I've stopped watching.

While I think Phil comes to his bigotry honestly (through ignorance and too much time in fundamentalist churches), the show has done a good job, until now, of masking the bigotry through scriptwriting and editing.

I enjoyed the show for showing loving tolerance and acceptance of family members' quirky actions and beliefs. That tolerance was, I thought, a good lesson you could take from the show, but, apparently, Phil doesn't believe that extends to a gay family member or a black neighbor. Sad.

It would be nice to see the family deal with the issue in the same way they deal with other lesser issues. Such beliefs could be firmly, but lovingly, rejected, while Phil himself embraced as a member of a family with different ideas. Whether they do that or not, I don't know.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:26 pm

About the reality show that I have spent any time on at all was the Storage War one, which lost its luster pretty quickly too due to the obvious scripted nature of the show. Duck Dynasty, while clearly a marketable idea, seemed just as pointless as the rest of them.

That being said, I doubt that there will be a similar backlash against 30 Rock reruns. Outrage is a dish best served selectively.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Igor wrote:That being said, I doubt that there will be a similar backlash against 30 Rock reruns. Outrage is a dish best served selectively.

I think part of that can also be explained by people seeing the difference between an angry exclamation and an interview.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:04 pm

Isn't the more pertinent comparison the fact that Alec Baldwin's MSNBC show got canceled?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:14 pm

Nope. From your link:

Mr. Baldwin and the cable network had “creative tension,” the person familiar with the negotiations said, adding, “Not everything was perfect before this happened.”

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Isn't the more pertinent comparison the fact that Alec Baldwin's MSNBC show got canceled?

That is certainly a fair point, although I got the impression that that was MSNBC's call, rather than being due to outside pressure. I was just picking his most famous recent role.

It's entirely possible (probable?) that Baldwin is just a giant asshole.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:07 pm

In all fairness, not only is what Alec Baldwin said (if I remember correctly, he called someone a, as the papers reported it, "c–ks–king f-gg-t") not really in the same league as Duck guy, but he also later apologized for it. Seems to me that most folks understand the difference between using foul language in anger and calmly explaining to an interviewer that being gay is a sin in the eyes of God and that black folk were happy before they were recognized as human beings. This in no way excuses Baldwin's slur, but I don't think these two examples of "guess what stupid shit some celebrity said" are particularly comparable.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:43 pm

Baldwin said his show was killed by "the fundamentalist wing of gay advocacy."

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Baldwin said his show was killed by "the fundamentalist wing of gay advocacy."
Oof. Thanks for the clarification of Baldwin's douchiness -- I had obviously not heard that before.

Reading that was downright painful. I always love it when people say they have to take responsibility for something themselves, in the middle of a long screed wherein they lay the blame on everyone else.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:58 pm

Yes. These things, at least, he seems not to have said in the heat of the moment.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Duck Dynasty - happy, happy, happy

Postby Igor » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:04 am

Political correctness guns are aimed at celebrities from many different directions. Baldwin didn't seem too concerned about POing conservatives, so he really only had to worry about not offending a third of the populace, as opposed to 2/3.

That being said, celebrities that appear much less intelligent than Alec Baldwin have run the same gauntlet with no problems. He seems pretty tone deaf.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:12 am

Is it possible Baldwin was done in by hipster bigotry? Maybe at some point ironic racism, homophobia, etc. become just plain racism, homophobia, etc. What's that line in "Kicking and Screaming"? -- "affectations that become habits."

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:42 am

I watched that "Duck Dynasty" show but I didn't see Joan Collins anywhere.

Return to “TV”