Hobbit Part II

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Hobbit Part II

Postby HawkHead » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:53 am

Has anyone seen this movie yet?

I was disappointed in the first movie but the trailers always look incredible. I may go to it over Christmas just because it is on the big screen.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hobbit Part II

Postby rabble » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:02 pm

We saw it and liked it. I liked the 3D (small screen) but it's obvious the 3D stuff wasn't Jackson's highest priority. My wife saw it again later in 2D with a friend and said it wasn't much different.

What? You want spoilers too? Okay, Evangeline Lily is very elf.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:58 pm

Slightly less meh than the first Hobbit.
But now that I've seen Cumberbatch Dragon in all his glory (and Smaug was undoubtedly the highlight) I am even less excited for Part III.
I sure wish Jackson had streamlined this better. Not sure why I'm supposed to care about Evangeline Lilly's elf (whose bad acting, apparently, is not limited just to Lost) or how I'm supposed to tell all those dwarves apart. (Does it even matter?) Just too much going on that detracts from what the focus should have been. All the doomy/gloomy foreshadowing of the much superior Rings trilogy is just a waste of screentime (we already know how that turns out -- there's no suspense or mystery in any of that material.)

And because this journey is so dull, I can't help but be struck by the oft-pointed out, ongoing plothole in all these films, which is simply: Why the fuck don't they just hop on some eagles and fly to where they need to go?

But fuckin-a Smaug. He was pretty fucking cool.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Dammit. I liked Lily in this one and I hope her relationship with that dwarf whatzisname takes off and spins into a sitcom.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:18 pm

I suppose I shouldn't be overly critical of Ms. Evangeline's performance. It's a pretty wooden script -- and the elves get only the most petrified lines to begin with -- so what could she do?

I'd definite watch the sitcom version, although wasn't Turiel supposed to be some kind of orphan? Cuz without wacky in-laws sniping, I'm not sure they'll be able to come up with enough fresh plots.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Well, the plot is borderline fan fiction, of course.

The key factor seems to be absurd battlefield abilities of the elves in all his movies, and to a lesser extent, the dwarves. It's as if since Legolas killed 41 elves during Helms Deep, they had to show all 41 in two minutes. It just seems very video-gamish.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:48 pm

I totally agree, Igor.
I'd go even further and say part of the problem is that everyone has amazing superpowers in these movies. Not just the elves and dwarves, but the hobbits, humans, and even the orcs, as well. The barrel scene, for example, could have been a really fun ride. Instead it was just super quick edits of everyone doing miraculous CGI things. Throwing a weapon to your buddy once might have been cool. 37 times? Not so cool anymore. And then there's the "I'm stabbing a guy behind my back I can't see" move which was trotted out a few dozen times. Yawn.

Oh, but did I mention how fucking cool Smaug was?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:09 pm

I truly believed that dragon was real. Agree on the barrel scene. It was too much. Overall, I enjoyed the movie simply for well done special effects.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:07 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I sure wish Jackson had streamlined this better.

As I said after the first one, once all three movies are released somebody needs to go through them and hack the whole thing down to a single two-hour film. Sort of an anti-Director's Cut.

TeachInPeace
Forum Addict

Postby TeachInPeace » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:21 am

I liked it. I will say though, when Smaug rose out of the cave and his first comment was " I. AM. FIIRRRRRE!!!!!" It made me crack up, not tremble in fear. I dunno - it was very WWF in that moment. But I don't expect much, just entertainment, so I think the movie was great.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:02 pm

Saw it last night. Good flick. I'm going to stick to the 1970's animated version if I want to see the Hobbit though. Peter Jackson's movie had only a passing resemblance to one of my favorite books of all time.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:24 am

Does no one think this guy is annoying?
He too often employs the crappy (British) comedy method of, after someone says anything; pregnant pause, appear uncomfortable, twitch, shift eyes nervously, and mug a strange face. Fucking Office 101.
I haven't seen Part II yet. I'm sure I will at some point. Ya know, stuff happens in these "adventurous journey" movies, and Jackson seems intent on making the events as drawn out and boring as possible.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:26 pm

supaunknown wrote:I haven't seen Part II yet.
SPOILER: The Elves don't have any guard rails either.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Middle-earthlings exhibit a puzzling disregard for safety precautions & equipment.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:48 pm

There is basically nothing good about the Hobbit movies. Jackson is completely destroying the story. For someone who claims to be such a Tolkien fan, he barely preserves anything. I can't believe this is the man entrusted to produce these stories. Furthermore, he is leaving out story elements that he has no business omitting, and adding shitty characters who have no business in the story. People who care about the lore failed to show up for the 2nd installation of this "Hobbit"; and now that they've been slapped in the face again, I'll be surprised if the 3rd installation doesn't perform even more poorly. Also, the dude they've got playing Bilbo... They should have got an unknown, on a par with Elijah Wood at that time.

Thorin looks like a bo-hunk. This production is essentially, pretty much, altogether, effectually, completely worthless.

Return to “Movies”