What would you do with $425 million?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Forum God/Goddess

What would you do with $425 million?

Postby Beaver » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:23 pm

If you won the big lottery, what would you do with the money? I'd buy a bigger home and invest as much as I could. Donate some to my favorite charity: the Democratic party.

Forum God/Goddess

Re: What would you do with $425 million?

Postby Galoot » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Well, I wouldn't end up with $425 million, nor would you. The cash option reduces it by quite a bit, then taxes take another chunk. Call it $250 million.

I'd donate several million to the school where I am currently working. It is by far the best example of "educating the whole person" I've ever seen, other than some homeschooled people I have known. I'd love to see this school expand, and I'd particularly like to see it take in some needier students.

Along the same lines, I'd set up some free childcare for needy families in the area where I'm living--and hire workers who are dedicated to reading and talking to their charges as much as possible. This is the #1 factor in literacy and success in school, having lots of verbal interaction during the preschool years.

For myself? I'd very likely continue to teach at the school, but instead of living in the extremely humble accommodations I'm currently in, I'd buy a nice ocean-front place in Santa Cruz so that I could surf after work every day.

Naw, haven't thought about this a bit. Not me. Why do you ask?

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Two words:
and I
oh wait thats three.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Same thing I do every night pinky

Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:43 pm

I'd probably just keep on farming till it was gone.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:56 pm

I'd probably restore some grand old places in Madison and donate to various charities.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:08 pm

Buy that sand mine overlooking the Wisconsin River and shut it down for good.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:33 am

Being a CPA I have already run the numbers.

You can only donate 50% of your AGI and get an itemized deduction on your tax return. I would give away half of my winnings in the first year. You would still have about $56 million after the donation and taxes taking the lump cash payment.

I would donate to the food pantries, buy a couple of big old buildings and refurbish them for the homeless and give them to some local charity to run, our church sponsors a school in Haiti that was demolished a while ago I'd build them a new school, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Suicide Prevention, Cancer Research......

There is no way I would need that kind of money and I would donate 50% of my income going forward for life.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:56 am

I would give enough to close family members so they'd be set for life.

I'd give myself enough to be set and buy a smaller house in a better neighborhood.

Various animal shelters would get some.

Then I would buy a radio station and build a west side community center.

I would do none of that rashly. First thing to do would figure out who to hire - an accountant like Hawk? A lawyer? A financial advisor? All of them?

Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:56 am

I'd get some beer and play "Dark Souls".

I'd spend $10 million trying to ban the lottery in Wisconsin... because it's foolish to think that you'd ever win, and now that I've won I can convince others of this simple fact with shiny television commercials.

I'd go on Ebay and buy that Boba Fett ship that I had when I was 12. The one with the frozen Han Solo in the cargo bay.

I'd get one of those pens with the four little clickers that lets you select the color and then write a letter to my 6th grade girlfriend, using a different color for each letter.

I'd get a new catbed, because the plastic lining on the bottom melted in the dryer and now the cat won't sleep in it, probably because it smells bad.

I'd buy the company that makes Queen Anne's Cherry Cordials and rename them "Puking Pastilles".

I'd buy an original copy of "The Stand" and drive to Bangor, Maine in my new Suburu Outback Limited and have Stephen King sign it.

I'd get a crown on my back molar because my dentist says I need it but it doesn't hurt or anything and crowns cost about $800 even with insurance so I keep putting it off.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:10 am

Get the crown done! It's preferable to having the molar crack so they can't save it. Trust me, you'll miss it when it's gone.

I see many of you are very philanthropic. I would try to take my time making decisions. One that I've thought about for a long time: no one who asks for money gets it. I'd use a big chunk to create a family trust so I'd be able to give some to family members without it being taxed again. For my own use.....I'd probably buy a really nice condo downtown, and travel a lot. Especially between November and April, for obvious reasons. I'd give WORT some money (so don't screw it up by asking me, OK?). And I'd seek out the most effective charities to help out the refugees from the mess in Syria.

Postby wesconsin » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:30 am

I would start my own charity with the first 50%. The goal wouldn't be some vast big cause. I would divide the money the charity has every month between a couple 'distributors'. Those people would then do things like go to stores, gas stations, walk around town, etc. They would donate to individual people. That lady that has to put down that $5 toy for their kid because the cost of milk went up? Pay for their whole bill and then some. That homeless man? Pay for a doctor visit for him, buy him some interview clothes, things like that. Local toy drive? Load up the toy drive. Things like that.

The other 50% would be put into financial tools to keep it growing (to provide for future generations of kids of mine, keep the charity going, etc), as well as college funds for kids, etc.

And I would keep working. I would work at like a gas station or something. Something very stress free, where I get to interact with people on a daily basis.

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:40 am

Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:27 pm

i would start my own country

Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:29 pm

"what would u do with a million dollars"
-- two chicks at once

--office space

Return to “Headlines”