Corey Hart: $5 mil per knee

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Cameron Connors

Corey Hart: $5 mil per knee

Postby Cameron Connors » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:33 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/milwaukee- ... --mlb.html

The Lesson: Don't be the Bucks, actually choose a longterm strategy for how you're going to go about having a chance in the playoffs instead of stumbling into a season, and getting swept early.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Corey Hart: $5 mil per knee

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:06 pm

What do the Bucks have to do with the Brewers.

Cameron Connors

Postby Cameron Connors » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:40 pm

They're both professional sports franchises located in Milwaukee.

Milwaukee is a city in Wisconsin which is a state in the United States of America.

Oh, you need more?

The U.S.A. is on planet earth, and both teams have issues with making up their minds on how they're going to handle being a mid-market city in sports dominated by the major market haves over have nots.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Jeebus, sorry. Your posts are so cryptic I don't always get your point.

Cameron Connors

Postby Cameron Connors » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:39 pm

I wanted to lay money on whether you'd say that was "cryptic."

Apologies for the crankiness (i attribute it to late-night-at-the-office Friday night fatigue), but I feel like this one was a pretty clear comparison given their shared location, circumstance and resulting mediocrity, and my almost literally posting a "This is the point: don't be like your fellow local franchise" coda after the link.

I also, and forgive me if i'm wrong, felt a bit of the "how-dare-you-mention-the-bucks-and-brewers-in-the-same-breath" attitude in your comment that I've experienced from the many Walkersha based Brewers fans I've known.

They (and Wisconsin as a whole) seem to easily embrace the Brew Crew as "their" team, while dismissing the Bucks outright as loathsome Milwaukee cellar dwellers, despite both having disappointingly similar records.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mi ... rs_seasons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mi ... ks_seasons

It always makes me wonder why that is...
(too cryptic?)

And the (assumed) answer combined with the usual defensiveness of fandom makes me a little reactionary as a result.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:26 am

The Yahoo sports guy has a point that Melvin has wasted money on veterans (Yuni Betancourt, anyone? To say nothing of a string of wildly overpaid middle relievers), but so has every other team in baseball. Beyond that, his piece is seriously flawed in that he conveniently ignores the fact that not all signings of veterans have been a disaster ... and that for most of the last 15 years the Brewers HAVE tried to run their franchise essentially like Tampa Bay does (stocked farm system consistently replenishing the big league team). Unfortunately (1) the draft is a crapshoot to begin with (2) drafted players also can get injured just like major leaguers and (3) the team has never really replaced Jack Zduriencik with anyone else who appears to have much of a direction in how to draft. Tampa Bay's success can be laid at the fact that they apparently have both some talented people running their drafts and have had much better luck than the Brewers.

It's also funny he begins his complaint with a reference to the recent Prince Fielder contract dump by the Tigers, which one would think is a defense of Melvin not wasting money on an aging, overpaid free agent.

Do I think they should re-sign Hart? Sure, if the price is right (i.e., major discount to pay the Brewers back for carrying him last year). The chance of Hart performing in 2014 is no riskier than going with Juan "Whiff" Francisco, expecting Mat "Broken" Gamel to actually go more than two weeks without getting hurt, or finding some other spare part to hold down first base, which seems to be pretty much what's out there as options (or, God forbid, another season of Betancourt anywhere near the Brewers roster). The very fact that someone who didn't play at all in 2013 is getting a lot of interest as a free agent says it all about how many good first basemen are available.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Well, Hart just signed with the Mariners. So much for him wanting to stay in Milwaukee.

Even weirder, the Mariners also just traded for another spare first base part the Brewers were apparently considering: Logan Morrison. WTF Mariners, trying to sign every free floating player in sight this week?

I'm praying -- PRAYING HARD -- that one of the teams supposedly interested in Yucky Barfancrap signs him before Melvin gets anywhere near him in his winter meeting desperation.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:47 am

Looks like it will be a platoon of Juan Francisco and Mark Reynolds at first base this year.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:19 am

wow, Juan Francisco part 2. I guess if one isn't good enough, get another?

Can't be worse than the situation at first base last year, at least, and it's a smarter move than overpaying the Mets for Ike Davis. Any at bats at first base that aren't Yuni Betancourt will be an improvement. And who knows, maybe one of these guys will decide to not be Rob Deer (unlikely, but a boy can dream)...

Cameron Connors

Postby Cameron Connors » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:27 pm

The thing I'm most looking forward to: If Reynolds actually plays enough by not platooning as much with Francisco, he'll have a chance at beating his own strikeout record that's rightfully the Brewers' by way of Jose Hernandez.

I followed that race to infamy so closely back then, glad I'll get another chance. Hopefully, Roenicke doesn't pull him and spoil the fun.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:46 pm

It looks like the Brewers payroll will be lower than it was last year. This despite the fact that each team is set to receive $25 million more in revenue from the new national tv deal. If the Brewers had a beat writer that wasn't on its payroll, Mark Attanasio might have some splainin to do.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Who, exactly, would you prefer they had wasted money on this offseason?

They're still short of help going into spring training, but there was not really many players out there this winter worth signing, in my opinion.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:55 pm

minicat wrote:Who, exactly, would you prefer they had wasted money on this offseason?

They're still short of help going into spring training, but there was not really many players out there this winter worth signing, in my opinion.

I don't necessarily disagree with this. With the exception of a few players that obviously weren't coming to Milwaukee, the free agent market wasn't exactly inspiring. I just think it's ridiculous for the front office, and their mouthpieces in the media, to claim they don't have the wherewithal to increase payroll. Can they compete at the upper levels with the largest markets and their behemoth local tv deals? Clearly not. But, and especially from a franchise that received taxpayer support for their new stadium, I would hope that the club was spending to its abilities. With the limits on what teams can spend on the draft and on international signings, it's not like the Brewers can allocate most of their newfound revenue in that way.

If you ask me, the worst situation in sports is to have a franchise that is mired in mediocrity. If you're not going to make a reasonable run at the postseason, you have to seriously consider taking a step back and rebuilding for the future. The Brewers haven't come close to doing this. If Melvin and Attanasio claim that the Brewers actually have a chance next year, isn't it a little bit disconcerting that they're lowering payroll during a period where they have more money at their disposal?

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Yeah, I think it's possible they're not necessarily being completely honest about whether this is a rebuilding year. That being said, they may believe they have a chance. Personally, I wouldn't count them out; if they have half the injury problems of 2013, and the starting staff can maintain what they did in the 2nd half last year, they'll be competitive, at least. But they have zero depth; one or two major injuries in the starting lineup (to say nothing of half the lineup going out like last year) and they're not going to do much.

Attanasio has been good in the past about letting the payroll bump up to make a move mid-season, so if they do stay in the hunt this year maybe that will be the case again.

Cameron Connors

Postby Cameron Connors » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:14 pm

Well, they're spending money, I guess.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-bas ... r-52m-deal

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”