Obama Goes All Leni Riefenstahl...

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Obama Goes All Leni Riefenstahl...

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:12 am

...butthurt media lapdogs howl....

Hey boys, welcome to the most open administration in history. Guess he doesn't need you anymore...

Photographers Protest White House Restrictions

WASHINGTON — A mutiny has erupted among photographers who cover President Obama over what they say is the White House’s increasing practice of excluding them from events involving the president and then releasing its own photos or video.

more...

On Thursday, the White House Correspondents’ Association and 37 news organizations submitted a letter to the press secretary, Jay Carney, protesting what photographers said amounted to the establishment of the White House’s own Soviet-style news service, which gets privileged access to Mr. Obama at the expense of journalists who cover the president

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/22/us/po ... 1122&_r=1&

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Obama Goes All Leni Riefenstahl...

Postby pjbogart » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:20 am

I don't get it, Ned. Isn't the press in Obama's pocket anyway? I mean, it is the "State run media" isn't it?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:34 am

As Obama sinks under his own hubris and stupidity, they become a liability as they start asking questions and investigating things. What a concept.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:07 am

Ah, I think I understand. So when they criticize Republicans, or basically report on anything you don't want them to report on, they're the "State-run Media." When they criticize Democrats or report on your favorite stories, they're kind of begrudgingly doing their jobs. But they're still the "State-run Media" just in case they report on something you disagree with tomorrow.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:13 am

Have another drink pj. You'll make more sense.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Rolling...

USA Today on Monday joined a growing list of news agencies boycotting the use of official White House photography over what it says is an unprecedented lack of access to the president.

USA Today Deputy Director of Multimedia Andrew Scott said in a memo to staff the publication will not use “handout photos originating from the White House Press Office, except in very extraordinary circumstances.”

USA Today is now one of more than 35 news agencies refusing to use White House photography.

Last Thursday, a coalition of major news organizations including the Associated Press, New York Times, Washington Post, ABC, and CNN protested their photojournalists being locked out of public events in a letter to White House Press Secretary Jay Carney.
http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/medi ... ite-house/

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Wow, Godwin's Law usually requires a long web discussion. Ned just goes there right off the bat. Well played!

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm not sure why the media should focus on such trivial matters as getting a photograph of the President working in the Oval office. That is a waste of photo-journalistic resources. I understand that some of these guys and the media in general, have modeled themselves more and more on the tabloids. Getting a "money shot" of the President scowling or picking his nose would obviously be something that would bump up the lagging sales of print media and be useful in the sort of icky political circles Ned favors.

I can understand that photo-journalists want to get the money shot. I'm sure there are lots of outlets that would pay big money, but turning photo-journalists into paparazzi is something that should be discouraged. There are plenty of real folks (not to say that Obama isn't real folks) and real situations that need to be documented. My advise: let the White House photogs handle stock photos. Real photo-journalists have other thing to do.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:09 pm

Maybe we should just have NPR and PBS. They can cover and report everything, right?

As horribly biased as the LSM is, a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:19 pm

I think what this is more about special access for a few self-appointed elite media photogs. This is just whining.

Everyone now has a cell phone camera, so everyone can be considered a photojournalist. I demand my Oval office photo op, now!!!

Why can't I take photos from the state Assembly and Senate galleries without getting arrested?

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:34 pm

Donald wrote:I'm not sure why the media should focus on such trivial matters as getting a photograph of the President working in the Oval office..... There are plenty of real folks (not to say that Obama isn't real folks) and real situations that need to be documented. My advise: let the White House photogs handle stock photos. Real photo-journalists have other thing to do.

Ya, like getting a shot of the President lifting a dog up by its ears.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:55 am

Stella_Guru wrote:
Donald wrote:I'm not sure why the media should focus on such trivial matters as getting a photograph of the President working in the Oval office..... There are plenty of real folks (not to say that Obama isn't real folks) and real situations that need to be documented. My advise: let the White House photogs handle stock photos. Real photo-journalists have other thing to do.

Ya, like getting a shot of the President lifting a dog up by its ears.

We've seen the ears, it could be vice versa.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Donald wrote:I think what this is more about special access for a few self-appointed elite media photogs. This is just whining.

It is just one part of the bigger picture that begs the questions....why is it necessary for Washington to attack the freedom of the press, to run roughshod over legislation that protects whistle blowers, and to threaten journalists such as Glenn Greenwald?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:32 pm

The NYT and AP are very, very unhappy with their Frankenstein monster...

Obama’s Orwellian Image Control

Manifestly undemocratic, in contrast, is the way Mr. Obama’s administration — in hypocritical defiance of the principles of openness and transparency he campaigned on — has systematically tried to bypass the media by releasing a sanitized visual record of his activities through official photographs and videos, at the expense of independent journalistic access.

The White House-based press corps was prohibited from photographing Mr. Obama on his first day at work in January 2009. Instead, a set of carefully vetted images was released. Since then the press has been allowed to photograph him alone in the Oval Office only twice: in 2009 and in 2010, both times when he was speaking on the phone. Pictures of him at work with his staff in the Oval Office — activities to which previous administrations routinely granted access — have never been allowed.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/op ... odayspaper

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:49 pm

I guess I was under the impression that any time you get a picture of the President "at work" it's a photo-op. And that goes for pretty much every President since cameras were invented.

I mean, if the President were actually "at work" would he really want a group of people standing there snapping pictures of him? It seems that it would be kind of awkward, especially if he was trying to give someone his undivided attention.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there have always been lots of photographers around when important discussions were being held. But I suspect all of those candid moments you saw in the photographs weren't really all that candid.

Return to “National Politics & Government”