what to do about charter jacking up rates?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

what to do about charter jacking up rates?

Postby eriedasch » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:24 pm

I did a little searching on the forum and I know this has been discussed in the past, but not seeing anything recent, so I'll ask again...

How do people deal with Charter jacking up their rates ever few years?

I started with the low introductory rate of $30, then it went up to $50, then up to $70. Now I've had their service for about 3 years now and they just raised it again up to $90. That is for the most basic cable (that we do not even watch) and the high speed internet - which we absolutely need. Seems if we dump the basic cable the rates will go up even higher.

I live on the east side of Madison where Charter is the only option for high speed. I suspect they know this and that is why they can get away with raising the rates every year or more often.

Do I actually have to quit for a few weeks and sign back up again? I guess I could go with U-verse for awhile, but the best speed they could give was around 2 mbps. I was already getting that from TDS and not acceptable. I cannot imagine anything from a dish is going to be any better.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: what to do about charter jacking up rates?

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:32 pm

eriedasch wrote:I guess I could go with U-verse for awhile, but the best speed they could give was around 2 mbps.

I think I'm getting about 10-12 right now and it seems just fine. The one thing you can do is tell Charter you're going to leave and see if they'll cut you a deal. I've done it with other companies and sometimes it works. It's amazing that technology seems to get cheaper and cheaper, yet the services provided always get more expensive.

Fuckers.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:58 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
eriedasch wrote:I guess I could go with U-verse for awhile, but the best speed they could give was around 2 mbps.

I think I'm getting about 10-12 right now and it seems just fine. The one thing you can do is tell Charter you're going to leave and see if they'll cut you a deal. I've done it with other companies and sometimes it works. It's amazing that technology seems to get cheaper and cheaper, yet the services provided always get more expensive.

Fuckers.

It's got less to do with the technology and more to do with the prices individual channels charge Charter for their chintzy ch ...

Sorry, I couldn't think of another "ch" word.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Neither can I.

But I'm in the same boat with Charter, only I'm still on the first tier ($30/mo) and waiting. All I want is their internet service after TDS couldn't get them to upgrade the line to my house. I don't care how many pieces of mail they send me each week -- I am not ordering cable.

I'm hoping for some technological alternative to arrive before I get shoved onto the $60/mo tier. If this is what the so called free market has to offer, it's for shit and I'm quite willing to discuss other options.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Yeah, I hate Charter. In past years I've been able to talk them into giving me a deal year-by-year. This year they are being assholes and won't bargain. A nice guy from U-Verse offered me a pretty good deal a few weeks ago, and I may just take him up on it. I have the phone-internet-TV package, but I may just ditch the land line.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:25 am

eriedasch wrote:I started with the low introductory rate of $30, then it went up to $50, then up to $70. Now I've had their service for about 3 years now and they just raised it again up to $90. That is for the most basic cable (that we do not even watch) and the high speed internet - which we absolutely need. Seems if we dump the basic cable the rates will go up even higher.

You paid just $30 for cable tv and internet, then $50? Those are very low rates. $90 even sounds like a pretty good deal. I doubt you can do any better unless you get a special promotion as a new customer but that would only last a year or so.

I have charter cable tv and internet. Service is fine with outages only rarely and briefly. Internet speed is great. I wish rates were lower but have shopped around and can't find any better deals.

Internet and home phone service should be free or low cost since they are so important. Cable tv should be free or low cost because of the ad's. We are all getting ripped off by the cable, internet, and phone corporations.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Beaver wrote: We are all getting ripped off by the cable, internet, and phone corporations.

Truer words have never been spoken.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Beaver wrote:You paid just $30 for cable tv and internet, then $50? Those are very low rates. $90 even sounds like a pretty good deal. I doubt you can do any better unless you get a special promotion as a new customer but that would only last a year or so.

To be clear, when we first signed up they had some bundle that gave you high speed internet and basic cable for a lower price than if we just got the internet. I think the "bundle" was $30, but it was $40 or $45 for internet only. We did not even want any cable, but went with what was cheapest.

And by Basic I mean the most bottom of the barrel basic - I think the only channels we get in addition to ABC, NBC, FOX and 1 PBS is a bunch of ESPN, WYOU, and home shopping. We now just watch internet programming and free TV over the antenna, which is far better than Basic cable from Charter.

We have since asked to drop the basic cable and just have internet but they tell us the rates will not go down.

All I want is high speed internet, no cable and it will still be $90 per month. I will be looking at U-Verse again.

I work in the industry and understand charging a premium or a small add on (extra $5 or $10 per month) because there is no competition in (primarily) rural areas, but this raising the price by $20 every year is f*cked up. Just for that principle alone I don't want to give them one more cent.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Though its probably not legal, I'm beginning to think that the best option for neighbors who get along is to pool the resources of 4 households, buy a serious wireless router and share the highest speed option. Or hell, start an in name only LLC or Not for Profit organization and purchase "Charter business" for you and your "employees" (who also happen to be your neighbors)

Dan Motor

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:05 pm

eriedasch wrote:We now just watch internet programming and free TV over the antenna, which is far better than Basic cable from Charter. We have since asked to drop the basic cable and just have internet but they tell us the rates will not go down. All I want is high speed internet, no cable and it will still be $90 per month. I will be looking at U-Verse again.

I see, yes $90 for just internet or internet + very basic cable does sound like a lot. I would think you can get internet for less than $90 elsewhere, like Uverse. I hear ads for Frontier but I can't get facts about coverage in my area on their website so they seem shaky: http://internet.frontier.com/plans-pricing.html

You can prepaid plans of $30 to $35/month from Sprint, Virgin or T Mobile and use them with a smartphone hotspot or mobile hotspot for internet, but they are only 3G speed in Madison.

Verizon and US Cellular say they have 4G LTE in Madison and have no-contract plans. Verizon offers hotspot with 3gb/mo for $60/mo. US Cellular offers several plans depending on how many gb/month you need. You can get 1gb for $30/mo, 2gb for $40, 4gb for $50, etc..

I couldn't get the AT&T web page to find coverage in Madison. US Cell looks like the best option to me.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Beaver wrote:I couldn't get the AT&T web page to find coverage in Madison. US Cell looks like the best option to me.

Unless you barely look at your internet, you never want to rely on your phone as your internet service. I live just on the edge of the near east side and have uverse. I pay about $54 a month including fees taxes etc... and I have the 12 meg service. Prolly only getting 10-11 but, as I said, works just fine for me.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:54 pm

eriedasch wrote:
How do people deal with Charter jacking up their rates ever few years?
I live on the east side of Madison where Charter is the only option for high speed. I suspect they know this and that is why they can get away with raising the rates every year or more often.

Someday, access to whatever the backbone becomes, will be free.

Charter will have to lobby and sue like the music industry does today, when the middle man is no longer needed or wanted. A smile will cross my face when I read of their Chapter 11 filing.

Give them their money for the Internet but ditch TV, no matter how sweet the deal. Phone is bad too. Bundling helps them keep their hooks in longer. The first one is always free.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Unless you barely look at your internet, you never want to rely on your phone as your internet service.

For the cell phone rates I gave, I was referring to smartphone as a hot spot OR a mobile hot spot device. I don't see any problem with a mobile hot spot.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Beaver wrote:I was referring to smartphone as a hot spot OR a mobile hot spot device. I don't see any problem with a mobile hot spot.

I was referring to the tiers you listed:

Beaver wrote:You can get 1gb for $30/mo, 2gb for $40, 4gb for $50, etc..

If you do any video or music streaming, your gonna burn out those 4 gigs pretty fast. Plus, I don't think it's nearly as high speed as a direct line from Charter or ATT. If you do go this route, you'll want unlimited and that's gonna be the same amount as Charter is charging right now. With that you might as well get unlimited on a smart phone and just tether it. But, like I said, the speeds aren't that great for a home computer or laptop. Bad idea IMO, but maybe I'm missing your point.

Endo Rockstar wrote:I'm beginning to think that the best option for neighbors who get along is to pool the resources of 4 households, buy a serious wireless router and share the highest speed option.

The only problem is that even high speed carriers such as Uverse have a cap at the number of gigs you can download and after that you start paying more. It's plenty fine for a household, but a group of people might burn through that pretty quick. Not sure if Charter has a cap.

I originally quit Charter because I was having to power down my modem a couple times a week and it became really annoying. They may have gotten better, but I've had few problems with my Uverse even if it has slower speeds. In the end, we're so far behind most other countries in terms of internet speed it's not even funny considering we're the greatest nation in the world. 8)

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Now it looks like US Cell requires a 2 yr contract for mobile hotspot.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”