The Nuclear Option

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

The Nuclear Option

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:29 pm

It's about fucking time.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) pulled the trigger Thursday, deploying a parliamentary procedure dubbed the "nuclear option" to change Senate rules to pass most executive and judicial nominees by a simple majority vote.

The Senate voted 52 to 48 for the move, with just three Democrats declining to go along with the rarely used maneuver.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/2 ... 16325.html

And for all those conservatives crying about checks and balances, well...

Democrats didn’t change the practices of the Senate so much as they restored the institution to its norms – for more than 200 years, judicial and administration nominees were subjected to up-or-down votes. Now, they will be again.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... ear-option

It could have been prevented, but the Republican party is the biggest sack of obstructionists I've ever seen. This should have been done a long time ago.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Nuclear Option

Postby FJD » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:41 pm

It only affects executive and judicial nominees, not Supreme Court nominees.

Based on the posturing I'd say both sides are being slightly hypocritical. Republican's have demanded straight up or down votes on nominees in the past when they held the majority, and Democrats have blocked nominations using the Senate filibuster rules often enough themselves.

Given the limited scope of the change, I don't think it's that huge a change to rules for executive appointments. Judicial appointments are for life, so that seems a bit more drastic.

Since both parties have refused to allow straight up or down votes on nominees in the past, I guess it was inevitable.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:51 pm

One step closer to mob rule, just as Obama wants.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:It only affects executive and judicial nominees, not Supreme Court nominees.

I realize that, but something needed to be done.

Francis Di Domizio wrote:and Democrats have blocked nominations using the Senate filibuster rules often enough themselves.

Sure, but:

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Since both parties have refused to allow straight up or down votes on nominees in the past, I guess it was inevitable.

Yes. But I can't imagine anyone would disagree that Republicans have horribly abused this as a blanket tactic since Obama has been in office. That's not the same tactic as either party has pulled in the past.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:One step closer to mob rule, just as Obama wants.

Cause that's how it was before the 70's?

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:56 pm

The "mob" being a majority of the elected Senate. Not sure that spin is going to work. Try again.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Will Louis Butler now be renominated?

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:17 pm

I never knew that nuking Washington was an option. Why didn't anyone mention that before?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:It only affects executive and judicial nominees, not Supreme Court nominees.... Since both parties have refused to allow straight up or down votes on nominees in the past, I guess it was inevitable.

reality

Ned Flanders wrote:One step closer to mob rule, just as Obama wants.

hysteria

I want this rule in place for when the Republicans control the Senate too.
Last edited by Huckleby on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:28 pm

minicat wrote:

Yes. But I can't imagine anyone would disagree that Republicans have horribly abused this as a blanket tactic since Obama has been in office. That's not the same tactic as either party has pulled in the past.

Not that I disagree but do you really believe that no one would disagree with that?

I think this actually a good move to get seats that have sat empty far too long filled; my concern is that this makes ramming through political extremist from either side much, much easier.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote: my concern is that this makes ramming through political extremist from either side much, much easier.

As far as I'm concerned, if they can get 51 Senate votes, the candidates are not extremists, they reflect our fucked up people. So be it.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:32 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:I never knew that nuking Washington was an option. Why didn't anyone mention that before?

I'm certain that at one time the option was on the Soviet's radar, both figuratively and literally.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:34 pm

The British came closest, they burned it down in 1812.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:40 pm

minicat wrote:

Not that I disagree but do you really believe that no one would disagree with that?

I think this actually a good move to get seats that have sat empty far too long filled; my concern is that this makes ramming through political extremist from either side much, much easier.

yeah, after I wrote that I had the thought "except extreme partisans."

I agree with you, it would be better if they hadn't done this. But I really don't know what else the Dems can do at this point; the Repubs have not been governing in any sort of responsible manner for far too long.

Return to “National Politics & Government”