In like Flynn

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

In like Flynn

Postby Shorty » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Looks like Matt Flynn is a Packer again. If he gets hurts, is Lynn Dickey available? He was good.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: In like Flynn

Postby penquin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:49 pm

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Ah, ol' Leadfoot Dickey. Dude was like a lumbering tight end... he didn't bother evading tacklers, he just ran straight at them and hoped he won the collision.

I think it's a great opportunity for both the Packers and Flynn. There are some questions about some tendinitis in his throwing elbow but he's capable in a pinch and already knows the offense. Seneca Wallace was put on injured reserve, but I suspect he'll be cut and the Packers will focus on developing Scott Tolzien as a long-term backup or for a potential trade if he really shines.

I feel good with Flynn back on the sidelines.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm kind of disappointed. After hearing Kuhn was the emergency back up QB I kept hoping Tolzien would lose a shoe or something and need to miss a play.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Flynndemonium!

Postby Marvell » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Thank you, Tony Romo!

Tonight it's Flacco's turn. Torch the Lions, Joe!

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Marvell wrote:Thank you, Tony Romo!

No kidding. I'm not sure if Matt Flynn or Tony Romo was the bigger Packers' hero yesterday.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:37 pm

minicat wrote:
Marvell wrote:Thank you, Tony Romo!

No kidding. I'm not sure if Matt Flynn or Tony Romo was the bigger Packers' hero yesterday.

Garrett really, or Callahan. Who the hell calls that many pass plays in the third quarter when you are up by more than a touchdown.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Garrett really, or Callahan. Who the hell calls that many pass plays in the third quarter when you are up by more than a touchdown.

Well, Garrett threw Romo under the bus saying the intercepted pass was on a pass/run option and Romo chose to throw it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... erry-jones

The overall analysis is that Dallas's defense sucks monkey balls. This is truly why they lost this game. I'll give Flynn a little credit, but I wanted to jump through the tv during the first half and punch him in the face. I'll give a lot of credit to Lacy. I think he was the MVP of that game.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Neither Favre nor Rogers ever beat the Cowboys in Dallas. Good for Flynn. I have always hated the Cowboys, especially after they tried to steal the title of "America's Team" from Green Bay.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Garrett really, or Callahan. Who the hell calls that many pass plays in the third quarter when you are up by more than a touchdown.

Well, Garrett threw Romo under the bus saying the intercepted pass was on a pass/run option and Romo chose to throw it.

Actually MMQB has a an excellent break down on that play
Simply put, right up till the point he made a lousy throw, Romo did exactly what he was supposed to do on that play. If GB stacks the box (which it did) it becomes a pass play. He even did a decent job avoiding Matthews. Just didn't set himself right to make a good throw.

The fact that Garrett tried to throw him under the bus on that play after 2 quarters of piss poor offensive play calling and a defense that gave up a TD on every second half possession is pretty sad.

Cameron Connors

Postby Cameron Connors » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:30 pm

Yeah, Garrett's gone. So are Callahan (the actual O play caller: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/11/12/why- ... lling-job/) and Kiffin. DeMarco Murray is a real deal NFL RB and needs to get the ball at least 20 times a game when healthy. It reminds me of last year's KC Chiefs basically refusing to give the ball to Jamaal "I had a bajillion yards last night" Charles.

As for the Lions saving our season by losing tonight, I don't see it, unfortunately.

Lions are at home, need to win to keep the Packers at bay, and are prolly not feeling very good about last week's snowbound failure. They've got Suh, Fairley, Stafford, Megatron, Burleson, Bell and maybe Bush good to go.

Ravens are mediocre at best on d after unloading last year's super bowl team in a rebuilding purge. For big names they have an aging Chris Canty, Ngata, Flacco, Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown and Ray Rice looking like he's running in quicksand, which, to me, are lesser than DET's guys.
They've looked good lately against terrible competition (http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/12/1 ... -beat-down), but as long as the lions don't kick to Jacoby Jones every kickoff (http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions- ... 84de2b26ac), I don't see it.

Prove me wrong, Joe, because after this, the Lions have a creampuff schedule.

Cameron Connors

Postby Cameron Connors » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:23 am

Welp, shows what I know.

I'd say, "Good job, Joe," but the blame/praise falls more on Sidearm Stafford and his drop-happy receivers.

Go Pack. 2010 all over again.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:46 am

The North has definitely devolved into an incompetence-off this season. Time for Rodgers to ride back into town and win out.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:30 am

I can't think the Packers will go very deep in the playoffs, if they make it at all. I see them losing to the Bears, frankly. Even if Aaron Rodgers comes back for that game; he'll have to shake off a lot of rust, as did Jay Quitler. And Pittsburgh is a better team than the 'Boys.

QB is far and away the most important position on any football team. What would be wrong with the Packers drafting a QB with its #1 pick? Looks like the Pack will draft in the middle of the (ahem) pack and the draft boards will be full of quality quarterbacks. Rodgers is still young at age 30 but developing a quarterback takes a couple seasons.

I would use the high-draft #2 QB in every game -- mop up duty at first and progressively more -- to the point where #2 goes in the game any time the team leads by at least two scores in the fourth quarter -- like a relief pitcher. Saves Aaron Rodgers and develops the young QB.

Matt Flynn would be your #3 QB. He's already had his payday from Seattle; he'll be happy for the job.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”