Wisconsin vs. BYU

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Wisconsin vs. BYU

Postby pjbogart » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:44 pm

I haven't been to a football game in several years, but I snagged some tickets from a friend who couldn't go and took my 16 year-old nephew to his first ever football game. I think he had fun, but it was getting cold towards the end. Best seat I've ever had... section D, row 47. About the 35 yard-line, not too high, not too low. Really impressive view, but lacked the energy of section P, the only seats I knew while I was in school.

I took a video of the "Jump Around" with my Iphone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hYKWx9sBM4

Best viewed with full screen, but kind of shaky regardless.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wisconsin vs. BYU

Postby Igor » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:42 pm

Crowd seemed a little dead - but as you said, it was cold, and everyone was wearing gloves.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:33 am

I thought Badgers played an excellent game in all phases.

Joel Stave is hard to figure out. He can look so good and so bad on back-to-back plays. He throws with perfect, smooth form, often beautiful passes. On the negative side, he has the slowest release of any QB I've seen in my life. It's like watching Tai Chi. But I'll take his mix of pluses and minus.

I got a small bone to pick: the first thing you want out of a punt returner is that he field the ball in the air. I could live with a returner that fair-caught every ball all season. Kendall Doe lets far too many balls bounce and roll. He makes other questionable decisions on KO returns. I kinda prefer Kyle Zuleger who replaced Doe briefly on KR.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:56 am

Huckleby wrote:It's like watching Tai Chi.

This made me LOL... in public, no less.

Huckleby wrote:I got a small bone to pick: the first thing you want out of a punt returner is that he field the ball in the air. I could live with a returner that fair-caught every ball all season. Kendall Doe lets far too many balls bounce and roll. He makes other questionable decisions on KO returns. I kinda prefer Kyle Zuleger who replaced Doe briefly on KR.

I had the exact same thought: anybody can let a ball drop and roll, let's get someone who will actually try to catch it once in awhile.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:08 pm

I always get a little nervous with Doe back there, but to be fair he did have one really good return....wasn't it about 40 yards or so? I wonder if coaches see flashes of that in practice and that's why they've stuck with him this long.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Bottom line: any of these WSJ pundits who think that the Badgers are BCS material are delusional.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Ya, Doe had one beautiful run, but wasn't that on a pass reception?
Last edited by Huckleby on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:16 pm

david cohen wrote:Bottom line: any of these WSJ pundits who think that the Badgers are BCS material are delusional.

I don't know. I expect they are around 10th to 12th best team in the country, so they are close.

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:45 pm

I think the Badgers are a long shot for a BCS bowl, but it is not as far-fetched as some might think. They play some teams with better records down the stretch, especially the surprising Minnesota Gophers. Wins in those games will move them up the polls and the computer rankings. With a little luck, they could make it into that top 14 in the BCS by season's end.

The UW is helped because only two teams from a conference may go to BCS games. Thus, some conferences like the SEC and PAC that might have 3 teams better than UW lose one of their nominees. I think it likely will come down to whether the BCS wants to take a second B1G team, and whether they prefer MSU (assuming they finish 11-2 with a loss to OSU in the B1G championship) or UW (with a 10-2 record and a loss to ASU that has a huge asterisk).

Regarding Doe, he has had at least one good punt and KO return this season, and some good runs after catch. But he also has had some brain farts receiving punts. He makes a lot of fair catches, sometimes with a little too much excitement, and he isn't so good at giving directions when the ball is going to hit the turf. His work as a punt returner remains, IMO, a bit of an adventure. Right now, the coaches must think the upside of the chance of a long return is worth the excitement.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”