Do You Eat Organic?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Do You Eat Organic?

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Do you eat organic?
Why or why not (besides the pesticide issue) ?
How about the GMO debate?
I'm still reading and interested in how others here feel.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Do You Eat Organic?

Postby Beaver » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:03 pm

I eat organic as much as I can afford to. Whole Foods and Willy St coop are great. I do it because it tastes better and doesn't have pesticides. I avoid GMO food.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Same here. It's largely the pesticide/preservative thing, along with flavor and a preference for buying local stuff as much as I can.

This past weekend I was in another part of town and went into a mainstream grocery store to pick up something for lunch. I walked up and down every single aisle and there literally was not one thing I wanted to eat, or felt would make a healthy and enjoyable lunch. Finally I bought a toothbrush just so I had something to take through the cashier station when I exited. It was one of the more surreal experiences I've had recently.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:21 pm

And what about the GMO debate?

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Organic, local when possible, no GMOs, and fair trade when grocery shopping. Wish it were possible to eat this way at all restaurants, as well. I Also have a big organic garden.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:03 pm

"Organic" is fast becoming a meaningless adjective. Using "organic" to guide one's dietary habits in the pursuit of virtue is missing the forest for the trees. And that's to say nothing of false/unscientific perceptions about the merits of organic foodstuffs.

The same is true for "GMO." You know that every honeycrisp apple, ear of sweet corn, and Iowa Swabian Hall pig is a genetically-modified organism, right? I eagerly await the mass exodus away from the Alsum stand at the Dane County Farmers' Market.

Local, sustainable, responsible, renewable: yes, generally admirable -- and certainly more allowing of nuance. "Organic" and "GMO," on the other hand, are rigid bureaucratic labels, a verbal crook and flail.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:42 pm

When it comes to fresh food, I just want what looks like it's going to taste the best. Price might be a factor, but organic vs. non-organic almost never is. If I'm at Metcalfe's, I always check the local stuff first, as that's generally the best bet.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:15 pm

I eat inorganic. Mostly heavy metals and radioactive isotopes. Had lead pipes installed in the house because my doc said my lead levels were low.

Had a great Pina Zirconium at Trader Vic's while enjoying some Warren Xenon tunes. Iridium Eggs were fit for a king, or as least a nobleman.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I eat inorganic. Mostly heavy metals and radioactive isotopes. Had lead pipes installed in the house because my doc said my lead levels were low.

Had a great Pina Zirconium at Trader Vic's while enjoying some Warren Xenon tunes. Iridium Eggs were fit for a king, or as least a nobleman.

Warren Xenon = +1
Iridium/nobleman proximity when iridium is not a noble gas = -1
Three and a half stars, would pun again

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Next time I need a screen name, it's definitely Warren Xenon.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:35 am

Livestrong just put out this list of foods they say are okay to buy non-organic. I only put it out there because last time they had a list of foods you should always buy organic and I could have sworn some items were on both lists. But I haven't gone back to check.

I do go organic for some foods but not all. So I'm only partly polluted.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 am

rabble wrote:Livestrong just put out this list of foods they say are okay to buy non-organic. I only put it out there because last time they had a list of foods you should always buy organic and I could have sworn some items were on both lists. But I haven't gone back to check.

I do go organic for some foods but not all. So I'm only partly polluted.

Livestrong's list assumes that the (only?) reason to buy organic is to avoid ingesting pesticide/fertilizer residue, but doing that does nothing to protect the soil or the water. A big focus of organic food is to build healthy soil and keep the groundwater clean--in fact, if you read the earliest proponents of organic farming (including Dane County's very own Jerry Minnich), you'll see that protecting the soil and water (and the ecosystem in general) was the primary goal. It is only over time, as organic has itself become commercialized, that the focus has shifted to the consumer.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:06 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Iridium/nobleman proximity when iridium is not a noble gas = -1
Three and a half stars, would pun again

Listen here Book Copper. Iodine at the finest restaurants.

You are correct, it is not a noble gas. But it is one of the noble metals.

I would like you to reconsider that point deduction, please. Argon you do it? I should not sulfur the consequences.

Sorry about the bad puns. Try to grin and barium.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:10 am

I like to buy local and/or organic when the choice is pretty convenient (i.e. I happen to see it in the proximity of other stuff I might have purchased). GMO is not really on my radar.

Life is short, and I prefer not to fill it by worrying too much about GMO foods, or radiation from cell phones and microwave ovens, or huge asteroids that could strike at any moment, and so on.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:21 am

gargantua wrote:I like to buy local and/or organic when the choice is pretty convenient (i.e. I happen to see it in the proximity of other stuff I might have purchased). GMO is not really on my radar.

Life is short, and I prefer not to fill it by worrying too much about GMO foods, or radiation from cell phones and microwave ovens, or huge asteroids that could strike at any moment, and so on.

What about huge, radioactive asteroids talking on their cell phones?

Usually I go for organic/local because it's fresher, tastes better, actually ripens, keeps longer, etc. One food that surprised me along those lines is sugar. I had been buying regular commercial cane sugar (Crystal River), then one day at the co-op I decided to try the organic. My feeling was that sugar is an industrial product--not exactly fresh produce--so whatever, it can't make any difference. But the difference, especially for brown sugar, is huge. As soon as I opened the bag of brown sugar I could smell sugar cane--the smell and the flavor is complex and rich. Then I grabbed a bag of the Crystal River brown sugar, opened, and it smelled, frankly, like crap. Seriously, like crap.

Try it sometime. You don't even have to go for the funkier kinds of sugar (turbinado, whathaveyou). Just try the taste test with plain brown or white sugar. I was amazed.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”