Another state votes for equality

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Another state votes for equality

Postby Steve Vokers » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Illinois votes for marriage equality

I'm glad that the state where I was born has decided for equality. I wish the state I currently call home hadn't amended its constitution.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Another state votes for equality

Postby Huckleby » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:39 pm

Two states, New Jersey and Illinois move over to the fabulous side of the ledger within a span of two weeks. Kinda funny how these victories have become routine, like the 14th and 15th men to land on the moon.

I see only Oregon as only remaining low-hanging fruit , maybe Colorado, not sure.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:10 pm

Huckleby wrote:Kinda funny how these victories have become routine, like the 14th and 15th men to land on the moon.
I dunno... I think when that finally happens -- given that the 12th was way back in 1972 and no one has done it since -- it'll probably seem like a pretty big deal again.

But more importantly: Hooray, Illinois!

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:48 am

Keep in mind that equality in marriage is federal law. The equal protection clause is still being adjudicated, and David Boies and Ted Clark are representing new clients in cases where the plaintiffs were legally married in an equality state but then had to move to an anti-equality state. Full protection under the law is about 5 years away.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:23 am

Huckleby wrote: Kinda funny how these victories have become routine, like the 14th and 15th men to land on the moon.

Hopefully more routine than that. Only 12 men have landed on the moon.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:33 am

Dangerousman wrote: Hopefully more routine than that. Only 12 men have landed on the moon.

You fell for that man-on-the-moon crap! All the moon landings were staged in a film studio. Didn't you see the flag fluttering? There's no wind on the moon, fool.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:57 am

i think they found out recently that the moon does have an atmosphere -- it is made of noble gases and gaseous forms of various alkalai and alkaline earth metals like sodium, caesium, calcium, &c. it weighs about 10 000 kg and to a large extent is constantly replentished by both the solar wind and outgassing from cracks in the surface of the moon. i could not find any estimates for what the average lunar barometric pressure would be, but it must be on the order of millionths of a kilopascal.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:13 am

Huh. Guess I was mislead by a review of a new restaurant on the moon.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:51 am

Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby talagaster » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:14 am

Huckleby wrote:I see only Oregon as only remaining low-hanging fruit , maybe Colorado, not sure.

I think that's an important thing to remember. This is a similar situation to state-wide smokefree workplace laws. Those were passing in state after state in the late 00's but progress has now mostly stopped. The remaining states are places where it will be much harder to get tobacco-free laws passed but advocates haven't let that discourage them.

We're in the (relatively) easy part of the marriage equality fight. It will be important not to let the momentum stop when we've run out of blue states and equal protection cases are tied up in the court system.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:45 am

gozer wrote:i think they found out recently that the moon does have an atmosphere

Also, mythbusters. No air friction to stop the the fluttering caused by random movements, therefore flag appears to be in the wind until you compare wind flutter with harmonic response to stimulus. Then it's not quite the same.

What were we talking about again?

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 am

Huckleby wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: Hopefully more routine than that. Only 12 men have landed on the moon.

You fell for that man-on-the-moon crap! All the moon landings were staged in a film studio. Didn't you see the flag fluttering? There's no wind on the moon, fool.

Doesn't matter because then it's still true that they only staged 12 men on the moon.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:57 am

gozer wrote:i think they found out recently that the moon does have an atmosphere -- it is made of noble gases and gaseous forms of various alkalai and alkaline earth metals like sodium, caesium, calcium, &c. it weighs about 10 000 kg and to a large extent is constantly replentished by both the solar wind and outgassing from cracks in the surface of the moon. i could not find any estimates for what the average lunar barometric pressure would be, but it must be on the order of millionths of a kilopascal.

From wiki: "less than one hundred trillionth" of Earth's atmospheric density at sea level. Moral of the story: if you're heading to the moon, don't bother packing your kite.

But back to the real topic. Good job Illinois, that makes two increases in personal liberty in a single year for you.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:59 am

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LADEE ... phere.html

What passes for a lunar "atmosphere" is roughly equivalent to the best we can do creating a vacuum here on earth. So guess it depends where you're standing.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:02 am

talagaster wrote: We're in the (relatively) easy part of the marriage equality fight. It will be important not to let the momentum stop when we've run out of blue states and equal protection cases are tied up in the court system.

I wouldn't put it that way. The first states are the hardest, even if they are blue.
The southern red states are essentially impossible, they await a Supreme Court ruling.

Return to “National Politics & Government”