Here they are, The Beatles...

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Here they are, The Beatles...

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:19 am

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Here they are, The Beatles...

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:08 pm

The article brought back a lot of memories. My family comes from the Hamburg area. When my German cousin wrote me of the Beatles I didn't think much of it. Then I saw them on Sullivan and it was fantastic. It was the first bright spot after the Kennedy assassination. And they were wonderful in person.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:57 am

Oh man, one of my first memories is of the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. My mom made of point of making me watch. I didn't think much about it either, but did a little 3 year old boogie dance for her, lol.

It's amazing how fresh their music still sounds today. On that note, the Beatles cover band, 1964:The Tribute, is pretty awesome especially considering that they must be in their 60s by now. I thought they were far better than the cover band, Rain. Rain was like watching the Beatles on TV. 1964: The Tribute is like seeing them live...

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:51 pm

It Was 50 years ago today, tonight!

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/music-news ... .html?vp=1

On Feb. 9, 1964, a little band called the Beatles performed for the first time on "Ed Sullivan." It was a "rilly big shew" ... when Paul and Ringo finally took the stage at the end of the night, those goosebumps only got, well, goosebumpier.

grumpybear
Forum Addict

Postby grumpybear » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:33 pm

The NYT crossword puzzle today was all about the Beatles and their appearance on Ed Sullivan .
PS. I hope this is not a spoiler. The puzzle was rather easy by NYT standards.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:48 pm

Cynthia... by Julian

A woman who saw the Beatles in Milwaukee in 1964 gave me a "Beattles Booster" pin she bought at the show. I've had it hidden in an old sock for 25 years, and gasped when I saw it bouncing around in the dryer last week. Some of the paint washed off the back, but the lenticular printing survived: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/96264510757308336/

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:55 pm

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:56 pm

“No one is probably going to believe it,” Ono said, “but he was the most influential Beatle.” She continued, “For some reason John got it, then George got it, then Paul got it. So why didn’t they think about Ringo?”

Ono also discussed Starr’s popularity within the band, explaining “John [Lennon] would go up and down and all that, but Ringo was always just very gentle. And he really believed in peace and love.”

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/04/y ... al-beatle/

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:03 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... s-20150915

Paul on Drums, George on Bass: 10 Great Beatles Instrument Swaps

With every single LP, the Beatles shed some creative skin. Decades later, it's still difficult to process their two-year leap from Revolver to Sgt. Pepper's to the White Album.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:31 am

The things that made the band great were the same things that drove them apart. Four great musicians who were experimenting with different styles of music and different paths.

Perhaps if Brian Epstein had lived, they might not have gotten into the Apple fiasco that tore them apart, or maybe John wouldn't have gotten addicted to heroin, and maybe George wouldn't have had an affair with Ringo's wife. And all that might've kept the band together a little longer.

In the end, it was four giant musicians and giant egos all wanting to go their separate ways.

Oh, and Yoko sat on an amp.

The most intersting thing about their post-Beatles life is how Paul, who never got along with Yoko, went to enormous lengths to reunite John and Yoko. Then I read idiots who make comments on YouTube or whatever saying how horrible Yoko was for John. Paul evidently thought differently.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:57 am

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:16 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... p-20151203

As soon as it dropped in December, 1965, Rubber Soul cut the story of pop music in half — we're all living in the future this album invented. Now as then, every pop artist wants to make a Rubber Soul of their own. "Finally we took over the studio," John Lennon told Rolling Stone's Jann S. Wenner in 1970. "In the early days, we had to take what we were given, we didn't know how you could get more bass. We were learning the technique on Rubber Soul. We were more precise about making the album, that's all, and we took over the cover and everything."

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:56 pm

I'm so old I vaguely remember seeing this live when it happened when I was 4 years old...

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:36 pm

Take a moment to contemplate just what a crappy day it was for Yoko, Sean and Julian 35 years ago.

John Lennon was admittedly not the world's best husband and father, but he was their husband and father.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:44 pm

Return to “General Music”