RIP Tea Party

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

RIP Tea Party

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:55 pm

Is this it? Are we done with a political party based entirely on lies? The Senate voted 81-18 on a bill that kicks the budget and CR down the road and the House followed suit with an astonishing 285-144. I expected the Senate vote to be lopsided but had no idea the House would go out of their way to embarrass the Tea Party. So 30 Republican Senators and 90 Republican Representatives essentially voted "fuck you" to Tea Party politics?

Today, we're all Republicans.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: RIP Tea Party

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:26 pm

A number of people think it would have been even more lopsided if a secret ballot had been taken.

Only about 20-30 of the Republicans are said to be hardcore Teaps who wanted to actively bring the government to a halt. Once enough votes were cast that the congress could see where this was headed, I think a lot of the more rational Rs voted to appease their funders instead of voting their conscience or their common sense.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:52 pm

The Tea Party is weakened. They will remain a force in Republican primaries. But I wonder if it isn't now safe for Republicans to cooperate with Obama.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:43 am

The Senate voted 81-18 on a bill that kicks the budget and CR down the road and the House followed suit with an astonishing 285-144.

It's about time they finally decide to vote on something.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:37 am

The Tea Party is not dead. Combining the Tea Party with the "values" crowd, with whom they partly overlap, the right wing holds incredible sway reaching majorities in the Republican Party in most southern and Great Plains states. They create quite a problem for the rational, more mainstream Republicans, who may share some of their ideology and issues, but who think that many in the Tea Party are a little too obsessed, too prone to wild conspiracy theories and, quite frankly, too stupid.

These people are obsessed, and so do not give up. The "values" crowd has been around since the late 1970s, and the Tea Party has taken many different guises over an even longer time period. The leaders of most local and state Tea Party affiliates have been floating in and out of various right wing causes and organizations for decades.

In fact, the Tea Party/Values Voters are running candidates right now against establishment Republican candidates and they are likely to win in many, if not most primaries. Whether they win the general election is another matter.

One of the problems with the Tea Party, though, is that many of the leaders have become careerists, hooked on right wing money. At the leadership level they are just in it for themselves, and they are scamming the poor suckers who actually believe the b.s. they are spouting. One Tea Party candidate for School and Public Lands Commission in South Dakota dropped out after he got a better offer to head up the attack on Common Core. Hey, you go where the money is. They are all for sale.

I've seen this in the Senate race in South Dakota, where two or three right wing candidates have made trips to various right wing funders. In South Dakota, the establishment candidate for Senate, Mike Rounds, is being challenged by several Tea Party types, each courting his or her own billionaire puppeteer. In fact, there are rumors that the establishment has gotten smart, and is funding two or three Tea Party candidacies in order to split the righty vote and allow Rounds to win.

Whatever, the Tea Party folks ain't going away. They may morph, but they ain't going away.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:39 pm

"A finding in a study on the relationship between science literacy and political ideology surprised the Yale professor behind it: Tea party members know more science than non-tea partiers."

"“But then again, I don’t know a single person who identifies with the tea party,” he continued. “All my impressions come from watching cable tv — & I don’t watch Fox News very often — and reading the ‘paper’ (New York Times daily, plus a variety of politics-focused Internet sites like Huffington Post and POLITICO). I’m a little embarrassed, but mainly, I’m just glad that I no longer hold this particular mistaken view.”
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/tea-party-science-98488.html

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Let's take a closer look, shall we?

on average, people who leaned liberal were more science literate than those who leaned conservative... However, those who identified as part of the tea party movement were actually better versed in science than those who didn’t

This means that liberals know more, but Tea Partiers are better parrots. No surprise.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:17 pm

I don't think the Tea Party is dead, but I do think it faces an uncertain future. Corporate GOP supporters are now sufficiently concerned that there is talk of funding more moderate candidates to oppose tea party candidates.

Not thrilled that it's corporations, but I have been waiting for the adults/moderates in the GOP to wake up, and take back their party. If the fear of being primaried dies away, perhaps some constructive compromises can be reached. And by that, I mean genuine compromise, so the left should not expect to escape any pain. If everyone is willing to sacrifice a little, this country can still have a bright future.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Maybe RIP was an overstatement, but the Tea Party took a serious blow yesterday. They got nothing. NOTHING. A couple billion in pork barrel spending for a RINO? Ted Cruz told people that Obamacare would kill their grandma but it really wasn't worth filibustering? Really?

And this game of "kick the can" could come back to haunt them. Republicans desperately wanted the 2014 midterm elections to be about Obamacare. They've done an incredible job of scaring people with lies and disinformation and were salivating at the possibility that they could spend another year on it. But with the exchanges open, even considering the problems with the launch, the ACA is more or less no longer debatable. If they try to shut it down now, insurers are going to be stuck with the initial wave of people with serious illnesses and pre-existing conditions and lose out on the younger, healthier customers. As any astronaut can tell you, after you launch it's too late to abort.

So now January and February are going to roll around and Republicans are going to be faced with the same game of chicken that failed them so miserably this time around. The true believers will be calling for another shutdown but I think the paint is dry on that one. Kick the can again? How far? If they want the 2014 midterms to be about government spending as opposed to the narrower issue of shutdowns and debt limits, they need to kick it beyond next November. If they don't, Democrats will bludgeon them with the current debacle as well as any debacles yet to cascade. Anyone want to bet we'll see a few DNC campaign ads with Ted Cruz reading "Green Eggs and Ham" on the floor of the Senate?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:52 am

Realistically, the tea party gang totally screwed themselves.

But those people don't live in a reality-based world. They think they did something useful! They thinkJohn Boehner is a "Lefty dickheaded Marxist."

They might lose some support, but the "true believers" aren't going away.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:28 am

Nobody seems to agree with me on this, but I think if the Republican Party split, the moderate wing would become the dominant political party in the country.

The Dem and Repub parties are shrinking, the largest "party" now is independent.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:04 pm

Huckleby wrote:Nobody seems to agree with me on this, but I think if the Republican Party split, the moderate wing would become the dominant political party in the country.

The Dem and Repub parties are shrinking, the largest "party" now is independent.

I don't know if I'd say dominant, but I think a reasonable argument could be made that it would be far more attractive to voters than the current GOP, with most of it's growth come from independents and moderate to conservative Democrats.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Huckleby wrote:Nobody seems to agree with me on this, but I think if the Republican Party split, the moderate wing would become the dominant political party in the country.

I think if the moderate Republican party took just a few steps to the left (and they're hundreds of steps off center now, so this wouldn't be too big a move), you're probably correct.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:53 pm

If the Teaps split off and the remaining Rs became more palatable to some centrists, leaving two large parties (Republicans and Democrats) of about equal size, you'd be left with a situation where the Teaps held a swing vote and whenever an issue was split between the two large parties, the Tea Party vote would decide the winner.

Sort of like Justice Kennedy on the Supreme Court now.

Might be one of those times to be careful what you wish for.

I don't much like the two party system, but in this case the better strategy might be to find a way to detach the Speakership from its far right funding sources and give it/him more support from business moderates so the moderate representatives don't get ignored as they were in the shutdown disaster.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:39 am

Return to “National Politics & Government”