straight people in gay bars

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

straight people in gay bars

Postby gozer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:57 am

this was a fascinating article and as near as i can tell all of the opinions expressed therein are likely to have considerable to total validity.

i am inclined to think that the best place for a troika of husband, wife and mutual girl friend to people watch, occasionally get loaded, and on rare occasions set up a 3-on-2 would be an establishment catering to mixed clientele, no? i received a report that the barber's closet may be such a place. a week later the whole building housing it burned down. :(

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: straight people in gay bars

Postby david cohen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:05 pm

do you really wanna go there??

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:55 pm

i wasn't aware they either rebuilt or opened in another location . . .

i surmise that whatever the case may be de facto, a biker bar does not count as "mixed-clientele", ceterus paribus

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:25 pm

I loved Hotel Washington back in the day, but Club de Wash was my preferred hangout. Barber's Closet wasn't really the gay bar... I think that was upstairs in the New Bar if my memory serves me correctly.

When I was young and sexy and barhopped with a hipper crowd we'd often find ourselves in places like the Cardinal. The term we used was "half and half", not sure if people still use that term for gay friendly bars (or straight friendly bars, depending on how you look at it). I remember barhopping in Milwaukee once with a girlfriend and gay roommate and we ended up at Le Cage(?), which was a pretty good scene, better than Nitro anyway.

Back in those days, gay guys seemed to like me more than straight girls, to my dismay. I guess I was a skinny, boyish hipster... a "twink" in modern lingo. I was polite about it, but I think gay men felt a bit irritated when I told them I was straight. The article makes it sound like it's an issue of feeling safe, but I suspect it's more of an issue of feeling comfortable hitting on people you assume are gay (because you're in a gay bar, duh). Gay men don't like hitting on someone who's not interested any more than straight men do, so I guess a straight guy showing up to a gay bar makes you a bit of a tease.

Anyway, I can appreciate the frustration. I never meant to offend anyone. I don't recall ever saying, "hey, let's go to a gay bar so I can humiliate some men who mistake me for gay." And I certainly never punched anyone.

farlyjameson

Postby farlyjameson » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:50 am

When you go to a gay bar on purpose, a person should expect to be hit on by the same sex. What really irks me is when straight guys go to gay bars hoping to hook up with a gay girl. Give gay people a break...you have the rest of the world to congregate safely, gay people may have one bar in an entire town. Seriously, these guys need to get over themselves already.

Return to “Town Vibe”