639 cherry trees

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

639 cherry trees

Postby rabble » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:16 am

Six hundred and thirty nine trees?
The Seaquist Orchard near Sister Bay reports the tops of 639 cherry trees were chopped off sometime between late Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon.

Yes, they were small trees and the tool used was an ordinary limb lopper but damn. I've used one of those all day at work and I don't think I had a day where I trimmed more than a couple hundred branches. Somebody was really motivated.

I really want to know the story behind this one. Maybe there's gas operated loppers now. Still, even with power tools that's a whole night's work.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 639 cherry trees

Postby bdog » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:02 pm

rabble wrote:Somebody was really motivated.

Or it was a group effort. With 10 people, easily doable. Even with only 3 or 4 a lot of work but doable.

Someone will talk eventually.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:58 pm

I would like to know if they were cut partway up the trunk (they were small trees, if the person used a lopper) and if so, will they sprout new branches (above the graft, if any) and survive, or will they all need to be replaced (losing years of growth)?

This crime made me really sad.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:01 pm

The culprits have been found and there's been a Warrant issued for them.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:10 am

snoqueen wrote:I would like to know if they were cut partway up the trunk (they were small trees, if the person used a lopper) and if so, will they sprout new branches (above the graft, if any) and survive, or will they all need to be replaced (losing years of growth)?

This crime made me really sad.

I found another article with more info.

Yes, they were cut just above the rabbit guard thingees, and apparently not all in one row. It was in random areas of the same orchard.

The trees can be saved but they'll be at least one year behind the other trees in the orchard.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:00 am

The damage seems too extensive for random vandalism. It's gotta be a fired employee or some kind of revenge on a business or personal level.

I've spent some time in Sister Bay and it's a beautiful place, but with a little bit of a Twin Peaks feel to it. Something much more sinister could be going on. 639 cherry trees? You add up those three numbers and you get 18. The age of consent!? (duh) Cherry trees! See where I'm going here?

The police should just be checking everyone's hands for blisters.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:12 am

narcoleptish wrote: I've spent some time in Sister Bay and it's a beautiful place, but with a little bit of a Twin Peaks feel to it. Something much more sinister could be going on. 639 cherry trees? You add up those three numbers and you get 18. The age of consent!? (duh) Cherry trees! See where I'm going here?

Narcoleptish goes around the bend....

iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Dear Remember_me,

Thanks for bringing Warrant back into my life.

Best,

iwiw99

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:17 pm

Remember_Me wrote:The culprits have been found and there's been a Warrant issued for them.

I liked some stuff from the hair metal era. Warrant was not included in the "like" pile, but they do get a little bit of a bad rap in that their label kind of forced them to write that song. (They wanted a "Love in an Elevator" ripoff, which Jani Lane accomplished in 15 minutes on the back of a pizza box.)

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:08 pm

narcoleptish wrote:The damage seems too extensive for random vandalism. It's gotta be a fired employee or some kind of revenge on a business or personal level.

I've spent some time in Sister Bay and it's a beautiful place, but with a little bit of a Twin Peaks feel to it. Something much more sinister could be going on. 639 cherry trees? You add up those three numbers and you get 18. The age of consent!? (duh) Cherry trees! See where I'm going here?

The police should e checking everyone's hands for blisters.

r u james (anubis) van cleve?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:41 pm

I thought by now a musician would have shouted out band name after seeing the title of this thread.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I thought by now a musician would have shouted out band name after seeing the title of this thread.

already done . . . they opened for d j fuck-knuckle & the outlaws of word processing once and are now on the road with eeky briquette and the 7500 new silesian sex maniacs.

Return to “Catch All”