Congressional members should not undermine our government

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
gerbil

Congressional members should not undermine our government

Postby gerbil » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:43 pm

Congress members should not threaten to not pay the national debt that Congress has incurred on the basis that certain Congressional members do not like a program that Congress has created.

Voters need to pay closer attention to the representatives who are supposed to be representing them in Congress. Congressional representatives should represent their constituents and not just cocaine snorting billionaires.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Congressional members should not undermine our governmen

Postby HawkHead » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:56 am

gerbil wrote:Congress members should not threaten to not pay the national debt that Congress has incurred on the basis that certain Congressional members do not like a program that Congress has created.

Voters need to pay closer attention to the representatives who are supposed to be representing them in Congress. Congressional representatives should represent their constituents and not just cocaine snorting billionaires.

You had me until the last sentence.

gerbil

Postby gerbil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:50 am

HawkHead,

So who do you think a Congressman is more likely to listen to, you or a cocaine snorting billionaire who signs over big contributions?

baked goods

Postby baked goods » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:34 am

What about cocaine snorting single mothers or cocaine snorting hipsters? Do they get a pass?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:33 am

baked goods wrote:What about cocaine snorting single mothers or cocaine snorting hipsters? Do they get a pass?

They have absolutely no influence over Congress. For fuck's sake, do you understand anything you read?

Regarding the OP, I think politicians who encourage anarchy (such as those who promote breaking or disabling a law like the ACA) should be charged with sedition.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:26 am

"Cocaine-snorting" is hyphenated, you plebians.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:42 am

green union terrace chair wrote:"Cocaine-snorting" is hyphenated, you plebians.

Indeed. With thousand-dollar bills.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 am

On behalf of all us cocaine-snorting billionaires out here, I object to this whole discussion. You wouldn't know what to do without us.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:02 pm

I don't have a comment on the latest debt ceiling shenanigans, other than playing chicken with the economy is always stupid.

But I did want to point out that this statement is just patently silly.
gerbil wrote:Voters need to pay closer attention to the representatives who are supposed to be representing them in Congress.

Voter's do, and apparently enough didn't like the ACA (or were convinced they shouldn't like the ACA) to wrest control of the House away from Democrats and put the Senate Democrats on notice in 2010.

snoqueen wrote:On behalf of all us cocaine-snorting billionaires out here, I object to this whole discussion. You wouldn't know what to do without us.

demand you stop hoarding all the good stuff?

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Who the hell snorts coke these days? That is soooooo 1990's.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Voter's do, and apparently enough didn't like the ACA (or were convinced they shouldn't like the ACA) to wrest control of the House away from Democrats and put the Senate Democrats on notice in 2010.

I'm pretty sure that statement is false. No doubt the tidal wave of post-Citizen's United propaganda did motivate some voters, but I really doubt that the ACA was the primary issue.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:12 pm

DCB wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Voter's do, and apparently enough didn't like the ACA (or were convinced they shouldn't like the ACA) to wrest control of the House away from Democrats and put the Senate Democrats on notice in 2010.

I'm pretty sure that statement is false. No doubt the tidal wave of post-Citizen's United propaganda did motivate some voters, but I really doubt that the ACA was the primary issue.

Also, as I recall, House Democrats actually won the popular vote (in toto), but the Republicans triumphed the old-fashioned way. So I'm not sure you can take that as a repudiation of Obamawhatevah.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:15 pm

We also just had a rather large election between a guy who vowed to repeal it and a guy who's name is attached to it as a pejorative. Obama won, the Dems won the Senate, the dems won way more votes in the house. Our referendum on Obamacare happened in 2012.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:06 pm

gerbil wrote:HawkHead,

So who do you think a Congressman is more likely to listen to, you or a cocaine snorting billionaire who signs over big contributions?

I hope me.

I have had good relations will all of my representatives until Senator Ron Johnson. Tammy Baldwin has been excellent to work with on issues of poverty and the poor in Madison. Feingold was very good so was Sen. Kohl.

I even have worked together with Tommy Thompson and Scott Klug.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:17 pm

DCB wrote:

Well it was one of the major issue republicans ran on, but sure we can pretend it wasn't a primary issue.
Detritus wrote:Also, as I recall, House Democrats actually won the popular vote (in toto), but the Republicans triumphed the old-fashioned way.

By old fashion, I assume you mean "won the most seats"? The house isn't a national popular vote, so which ever party had the most votes is completely meaningless.

I'm not claiming that the GOP won a referendum on Obamacare, just that in 2010 the political leaning of a large part of the government changed. Having a hissy fit and claiming that Congress is undermining the government is absurd. By definition Congress cannot undermine the will of the government unless they start acting outside of their constitutionally defined powers.

Return to “National Politics & Government”