ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:36 pm

That's all I really wanted to say. I'm not a fan of using an app and "dongle" to swipe my credit card.

I don't know why this has become more common. I ran into it now at Ians and Forequarter

Dan Motor

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:41 pm

What's the difference? Are conventional machines that much better? How about shopping online? If someone is out there to steal your info, they'll get it no matter how easy or difficult it is. Meh, I have no issue with it.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8596
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:41 pm

Can't believe this thread wasn't started by narcoleptish.

To compete in today's challenging economic environment, small businesses must go mobile, with operations and employees that can “meet” customers wherever they happen to be. Mobile credit-card readers are one way for entrepreneurs to address the challenge. The readers plug into smartphones—primarily iOS, Androids and BlackBerrys—and allow small businesses to accept credit cards almost instantly.

These products have advantages over the traditional point-of-sale terminals, because they are much cheaper than purchasing a point-of-sale machine and setting up a payment gateway and a merchant account with a bank. The fees, generally speaking, are flat per transaction. And there are no monthly fees that vary based on volume, as there are for more traditional credit-card processing, which can cost small businesses hundreds or even thousands in annual fees.

The major market movers include Square Inc., founded by Twitter's Jack Dorsey....


http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20 ... /120109981

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8781
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby rabble » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:43 pm

Is it inconvenient for some reason, or is it a crime against nature?

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Stebben84 wrote:What's the difference? Are conventional machines that much better? How about shopping online? If someone is out there to steal your info, they'll get it no matter how easy or difficult it is. Meh, I have no issue with it.



They're fucking slow and people look like douchebags trying to swipe your card through this:

Image

also, its not a huge deal and I know you're just keeping an eye on the $300 equivalent of pen a paper you just handed to me to "sign" with my pin, but I don't like you watching me enter your tip on the giant calculator-like screen that I'm awkwardly trying to balance on its chinsey plasic stand.

-Dan Motor

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:49 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Can't believe this thread wasn't started by narcoleptish.

To compete in today's challenging economic environment, small businesses must go mobile, with operations and employees that can “meet” customers wherever they happen to be. Mobile credit-card readers are one way for entrepreneurs to address the challenge. The readers plug into smartphones—primarily iOS, Androids and BlackBerrys—and allow small businesses to accept credit cards almost instantly.

These products have advantages over the traditional point-of-sale terminals, because they are much cheaper than purchasing a point-of-sale machine and setting up a payment gateway and a merchant account with a bank. The fees, generally speaking, are flat per transaction. And there are no monthly fees that vary based on volume, as there are for more traditional credit-card processing, which can cost small businesses hundreds or even thousands in annual fees.

The major market movers include Square Inc., founded by Twitter's Jack Dorsey....


http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20 ... /120109981


When these apps first appeared I thought the extent of use for these things would be bands selling their merch at gigs and tow truck operators...man, I was wrong.

-Dan

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7982
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison
Contact:

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Cash is going the way of textbooks and newspapers. Gotta deal with it somehow. If it weren't for band money I'd hardly ever touch the stuff. I just downloaded Google Wallet. not sure what that's all about but it says I can send money to people n stuff. These things won't officially jump the shark until you can pay for weed with them.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1206
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:37 am

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby Crockett » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Cheaper for the merchants means lower prices for you. I'm all for them. Now can we get rid of the whole 'signing' thing?

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:56 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Cash is going the way of textbooks and newspapers. Gotta deal with it somehow. If it weren't for band money I'd hardly ever touch the stuff. I just downloaded Google Wallet. not sure what that's all about but it says I can send money to people n stuff. These things won't officially jump the shark until you can pay for weed with them.


I use google wallet. Its pretty slick -- plus, no dongle.

-Dan Motor

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1206
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:37 am

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby Crockett » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:58 pm

I had a credit card years ago that had a chip in it. At a few merchants I could just hold the card up to the sensor and be done. I guess it never caught on.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 22589
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Crockett wrote: I'm all for them. Now can we get rid of the whole 'signing' thing?

Iris scan. The NSA would love to have that data. Some devices are now coming with thumb print ID, but that is so 2013.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8596
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Places are giving you a stylus to sign with? Weird. I've never seen any place with Square or a similar mobile payment service ask anyone to sign with anything other than a fingertip.

As for the dongle, a good number of places have traditional-style card swipers, but the signature interface is on an iPad. I agree the dongles appear to be a bit fussy at times, but I think that's largely due to the same anxiety I have when I see them used: I'm convinced they're going to snap off and leave the plug tip stuck irretrievably in the iPad jack. If they were designed to have a little bit of anchor at the base, so they didn't swivel, I think it'd firm up the process.

Long post short, it's the way things work now, m'man. The people at the register would see you filling in the tip on the paper copy just as much as the iPad screen anyway. And they can certainly see you scowling, which ain't helping anything.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:19 pm

I'll play the part of 'ol curmudgeony all day!

Physical 10 keys are a fuck-tonne faster. There is a reason they use the simplest 10 key cash register on the planet a Aldi's -- those cashiers easily triple and quadruple the speeds of a target/walmart/copps cashier.


I'm willing to make a $1 bet (which everyone knows is the most serious kind of bet) That the flaws and drawbacks of relying on shoehorned apps and hardware to run the most important aspect of your business (money) and its inherent security and reliability flaws will kill off ipads as cash registers in one year from.....now. Dedicated point of sale will win this one with the brick and mortar retail and food service games.

Dan Motor

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:I'm willing to make a $1 bet (which everyone knows is the most serious kind of bet) That the flaws and drawbacks of relying on shoehorned apps and hardware to run the most important aspect of your business (money) and its inherent security and reliability flaws will kill off ipads as cash registers in one year from.....now


I'll take that bet because those flaws and drawback will eventually get addressed. The only thing I can see affecting it is being able to pay the business directly from your phone with an app.

Endo Rockstar wrote:Physical 10 keys are a fuck-tonne faster.


Yet I see virtually every new business going with touch pads(for many years now). I have actually seen people fly on those things when they're really good.

I will say back in the days of my youth when I worked retail, I got pretty damn fast at the 10 key cash register.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: ipads are not cash registers, dudes.

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:28 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Places are giving you a stylus to sign with?


No, this only happens when they run your card as a debit and it asks for your pin. Not a huge deal.

I wish I could remember which place I was where after I entered my pin it prompted me to a set of tiles to choose from that had the equivalent percentage tip already worked out---I closed out of it and started playing candy crush.

I will say this rant of mine is on the same level as having to swipe your own credit card at Walgreens -- "your're the cashier -- you fucking do it." Meaning, this doesn't rate terribly high.

-Dan Motor


Return to “Catch All”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest