Playlists for your iPod, phone

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Forum God/Goddess

Playlists for your iPod, phone

Postby pjbogart » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:27 pm

So my phone doesn't hold my entire music collection, which is no surprise, and I started making playlists to condense my collection. I had already made a few playlists with iTunes to hold songs where I only really wanted one or two songs off an album, creating themed playlists like "essentially 80's", "120 Minutes" and "Nuthin' But 90's". I know, they sound like cheesy infomercial compilations and that's essentially what they are, only I didn't need the artists' permission.

Some playlists were pretty easy to make, like U2 and R.E.M., given that I only own the first few albums by each band. But other playlists were pretty labor intensive, like Radiohead and Sonic Youth.

A few times I ran across an album and suddenly realized as I combed through the tracks that the entire album was pretty much flawless. Abbey Road is pretty much a given, but some of them were kind of surprising. Keep in mind, these are only artists for which I have more than three albums... if I have less, I just choose which albums I really want or put my favorite songs on a compilation playlist.

So these are the albums where almost every song ended up on the playlist:

The Beatles: Abbey Road
Sugar (paired with Husker Du): Copper Blue
New Order (paired with Joy Division): Technique
Sonic Youth: Sister
The Clash: London Calling (duh)
Frank Black (paired with The Pixies): Pistolero
U2: The Joshua Tree
The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
R.E.M.: Life's Rich Pageant
The Shins: Chutes Too Narrow

Equally interesting was that some of my favorite bands really only pulled a few songs off each album, with no album sticking out as flawlessly listenable. I really figured an album by The Pixies, Radiohead, The Smiths, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks and The Cure would have a standout album, but none of them really did. Great albums, just nothing where I really needed almost every song off them.

Return to “General Music”