Speaking of cell service...

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Speaking of cell service...

Postby jman111 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:36 am

We have Sprint and our signal at home is marginal, at best. Lots of dropped calls when inside the house.

Has anyone tried a home cell signal "booster"? The ones I've looked at include a "remote" antenna (that gets placed on the roof or in the attic) that is hardwired to a base unit placed in the living space. That said, it seems that these are actually more like repeaters, not actual signal amplifiers, in that they offer the level of reception inside the house that is already available where the antenna is placed. They seem to run several hunderd dollars, in general.

We're not interested in the ones that route calls over the internet connection (like Sprint AIRave), as ours is slow already.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Speaking of cell service...

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:42 am

jman111 wrote:We have Sprint and our signal at home is marginal, at best. Lots of dropped calls when inside the house.

Has anyone tried a home cell signal "booster"? The ones I've looked at include a "remote" antenna (that gets placed on the roof or in the attic) that is hardwired to a base unit placed in the living space. That said, it seems that these are actually more like repeaters, not actual signal amplifiers, in that they offer the level of reception inside the house that is already available where the antenna is placed. They seem to run several hunderd dollars, in general.

We're not interested in the ones that route calls over the internet connection (like Sprint AIRave), as ours is slow already.

I had the AT&T 3G microcell until my contract ran out and we switched to Verizon. It worked via our internet connection. not sure if Sprint has something similar. But if we had 0 signal (which we did) the microcell would work. Downside is numbers that can use it must be pre-programmed and it also wasn't the most reliable device in my console. It needed to be rest often. I was able to get my money back though when I sold it on craigslist.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:49 am

fisticuffs wrote:[I had the AT&T 3G microcell until my contract ran out and we switched to Verizon. It worked via our internet connection. not sure if Sprint has something similar.

I think that's exactly what the AIRave is for Sprint.

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:10 pm

I have USCellular and have fantastic signal everywhere in town except at the house. No towers on the isthmus, so they are all on the oppposite shores and, where I am, the signal just drops to almost nothing.
But USC doesn't support the signal boosters - I have inquired with their tech folk multiple times. And at a price of $300+ I don't know that I am willing to try it out just to prove a point.
So I hang precariously upside down off the side of the deck at a 79 degree angle when I need to answer a call (VoIP app for outgoing works great via wireless).

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:25 pm

donges wrote:so they are all on the oppposite shores and, where I am, the signal just drops to almost nothing.

That's weird because I work on the Isthmus and am all around the surrounding area and have never had any cell service issues.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”