Why not Vinehout?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
swimmingupstream
Forum God/Goddess

Why not Vinehout?

Postby swimmingupstream » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Would any Democrat be giving Mary Burke any consideration as their nominee for governor if she did not have millions of dollars that she inherited from her dad?

Senator Kathleen Vinehout has twice been elected from central Wisconsin and has a "real Wisconsin" appeal. She comes off a lot like a progressive Tommy Thompson but only smarter.

Vinehout has a PhD in healthcare policy and ran a dairy farm. She was even president of the regional dairy association.

What is wrong with Kathleen Vinehout? Why are Democrat insiders brushing her off in favor of Mary Burke?

I don't think it is the money but that she is not from Madison.

Democrat insiders are so Madisoncentric that they can not even conceive of supporting a candidate for statewide office coming from the hinterland. They will hold their noses for one from Milwaukee, but from Buffalo County? PLEEAZZZ!!!

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Why not Vinehout?

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:22 pm

This is why we need a primary, and not a coronation by the party.

baked goods

Postby baked goods » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:36 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:49 pm

Opening post and one other by forons who would never vote Democratic.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Instead of asking "why not", how about asking "why?" No one wants to back into a Governors' race.....

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:47 pm

I really like her position on the issues. But I don't think she is a good campaigner.

swimmingupstream
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:19 pm

DCB wrote:I really like her position on the issues. But I don't think she is a good campaigner.

I am pretty sure that the people pushing Mary Burke are not doing so because she has proven herself to be a great campaigner.

swimmingupstream
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:21 pm

baked goods wrote:Image

Like I said Vinehout looks like "real Wisconsin." Though I realize the Madison insider crowd would like to see fleece.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Pixie.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:30 pm

http://kathleenvinehout.org/

That's her web page. She's been writing almost weekly about state government issues and has taken a number of progressive, thoughtful positions. In addition, she stays in touch with the people of her district and the western part of the state and does continual outreach, which is what we elect a state legislator to do.

I have been impressed with her work. We need a primary to find out more about her electability.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Does she have a position on medical marijuana?

Doyle had one. Even Barrett had a weak one. I personally think Tammy Baldwin's position helped her win her latest election, but no way to prove it.

She seems to hint on her website that putting everyone in a cage for small time drug offenses is not the answer, but not everyone arrested for non-violent drug offenses should be forced into drug court either. Especially when we have over 1/3 of U.S. states recognizing marijuana as medicine and the Feds recently hinting they will no longer interfere with those states following certain rules.

Medical marijuana, hemp, and legal pot for recreation are all job creators. We need a candidate with an open mind, some REAL alternatives to mining as a way to create jobs in WI, and some ideas on how to reduce the massive prison/corrections budget that is still twice as much as surrounding states MI & MN.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:32 pm

KV would make an excellent Governor, but would be a poor gubernatorial nominee because that would let Walker make it a replay of 2010 and 2012 (which you will remember he won). If KV were nominee, we'd see heavy commercials about Wis14 abdicating responsibility, the recall election,yadda yadda. I want an election fought over Walker's record,not what the Dem nominee did. I think Mary Burke gives Dems cleanest shot on that score.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:37 pm

+1

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:19 pm

eriedasch wrote:Medical marijuana, hemp, and legal pot for recreation are all job creators.

I will believe it when I see it.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Igor wrote:
eriedasch wrote:Medical marijuana, hemp, and legal pot for recreation are all job creators.

I will believe it when I see it.

One word: Fritos.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”