American Legistative Exchange Council - gets 'attention'.

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

American Legistative Exchange Council - gets 'attention'.

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:51 am

This is an interesting take-
http://www.economist.com/news/united-st ... smart-alec

I am dissapointed by this 'reporting'.
Poor ALEC,
Must be nice to have a neo-whatever publication have your back.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Re: American Legistative Exchange Council - gets 'attention'

Postby Detritus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:47 am

Mad Howler wrote:This is an interesting take-
http://www.economist.com/news/united-st ... smart-alec

I am dissapointed by this 'reporting'.
Poor ALEC,
Must be nice to have a neo-whatever publication have your back.

"Lexington" is a column, not a news report--basically, it's a more sophisticated version of Neil Heinen standing inside your TV gravely asking "What's all this I hear about Crustacean Terrorists?"

The Economist is an odd creature, with an editorial stance mostly linked to echt-conservative politics (although they have been in favor of abolishing the British monarchy for a good 70 years), but with excellent reporting on economics issues. They are one of only two publications for general readers that I know of (the other is the Financial Times of London) that try to present real economics in terms of real economics, rather than the meaningless blather in support of an editorial policy that passes for reporting by the US press.

Of course, you have to accept their basic neo-classical economics worldview--a Marxist reading of their news stories won't do. But if you are willing to do that, at least temporarily, you can learn quite a bit. For example, they developed the Big Mac index as a crude way of comparing consumer economies around the world. It sounds at first hearing like a facile substitute for serious thinking, but if you pay attention to their reasoning, which is rooted in the subtle interplay of local and global business practices, then it makes a certain amount of sense.

I just ignore their editorials.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Detritus wrote:"Lexington" is a column, not a news report--basically, it's a more sophisticated version of Neil Heinen standing inside your TV gravely asking "What's all this I hear about Crustacean Terrorists?"
I just ignore their editorials.

With all due respect,
All of what you said was briiliant.
I am not planning to cancel my sub.
Although, I can find no way to justify the extent and penetrance of the American Legislative Exchange Council into the lives of, well, Americans the way whoever holds the pen at Lex did.
Narrative struggles matter.
For example, those boxes that AT&T plunks into yards.
I seem to remember a piece written here that explained how the state legislated this to be OK and beyond the control of the homeowner.
I think that this sucks, but who do you think might have written this language?
This example may be trite, but I do not think you have to work hard to identify other low hanging fruit.
MH

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Mad Howler wrote:This example may be trite, but I do not think you have to work hard to identify other low hanging fruit.
MH

They usually identify themselves, often with a screen name that came out of a bakery.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Detritus wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:This example may be trite, but I do not think you have to work hard to identify other low hanging fruit.
MH

They usually identify themselves, often with a screen name that came out of a bakery.

I am sorry, but you are correct.
I was referring to IDing other subterfuge.
I should have plunked this out here a couple years ago...
http://www.propublica.org/article/our-s ... state-laws

Return to “Local Politics & Government”