Divide and Conquer

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Divide and Conquer

Postby DCB » Thu May 10, 2012 10:44 pm

Here is a frank exchange of Scotty with someone from his close circle of friends:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 49555.html
A filmmaker released a video Thursday that shows Gov. Scott Walker saying he would use "divide and conquer" as a strategy against unions.

"Any chance we'll ever get to be a completely red state and work on these unions -"

"Oh, yeah," Walker broke in.

"- and become a right-to-work?" Hendricks continued. "What can we do to help you?"

"Well, we're going to start in a couple weeks with our budget adjustment bill," Walker said. "The first step is we're going to deal with collective bargaining for all public employee unions, because you use divide and conquer. So for us, the base we get for that is the fact that we've got - budgetarily we can't afford not to. If we have collective bargaining agreements in place, there's no way not only the state but local governments can balance things out . . . That opens the door once we do that. That's your bigger problem right there."

This is from January, 2011, before he 'dropped the bomb'.

"Tools', indeed.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Divide and Conquer

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri May 11, 2012 8:26 am

All I have to say is if your net worth is a number greater than the population of Wisconsin. You better vote for Walker.

However, If you're stupid enough not to vote your best interests, Walker is the least of our worries as a state.

-Dan Motor

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri May 11, 2012 8:35 am

I see this story is not on Washington Post, NY Times, not even Huffington Post.

People outside WI (and MSNBC) really don't know what Scott Walker is all about. The Koch Brother phone call is not well known nationally. I hope the "Divide and Conqueor" chat spreads beyond liberal media.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri May 11, 2012 9:13 am

Huckleby wrote:I see this story is not on Washington Post, NY Times, not even Huffington Post.

People outside WI (and MSNBC) really don't know what Scott Walker is all about. The Koch Brother phone call is not well known nationally. I hope the "Divide and Conqueor" chat spreads beyond liberal media.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/1 ... 08218.html

athabasca

Postby athabasca » Fri May 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Whoop, looks like this one has national (and international) legs after all:

International Business Times: Scott Walker Recall: Governor Outlines 'Divide And Conquer' Union Strategy In Video

Washington Post: Game changer? Scott Walker vowed to `divide and conquer'

Boston Globe: Video: Walker explains divide, conquer strategy

TIME: Scott Walker on Tape: Budget Bill Was ‘Divide and Conquer’

There will be more, I'm sure.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri May 11, 2012 12:24 pm

I don't get it. "Divide and Conquer" seems like a pretty common strategy for achieving political goals when the opposition is well organized. I don't see how this video is particularly surprising or revelatory; it should be clear to everyone now that Walker is fully against public unions. There is no veil of common purpose, unity or cooperation.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 11, 2012 12:26 pm

it should be clear to everyone now that Walker is fully against public unions.

Key word. He didn't run on dissolving public unions but it was clearly premeditated and he withheld his intentions during his campaign.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Fri May 11, 2012 12:31 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
it should be clear to everyone now that Walker is fully against public unions.

Key word. He didn't run on dissolving public unions but it was clearly premeditated and he withheld his intentions during his campaign.

It should have been clear to anyone who looked at his record as county supervisor that he was fully against public unions, no matter what his stated or unstated intentions were. Did you expect the man to come out and say "I was a dick to the unions in Milwaukee, and I plan to continue that strategy if elected to the governorship"?

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri May 11, 2012 12:34 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Key word. He didn't run on dissolving public unions but it was clearly premeditated and he withheld his intentions during his campaign.
Agreed. That doesn't explain why this video is significant now. I think it should be obvious that Walker had thought about defanging the public unions before announcing it his budget proposal. For the record, I don't have any problem with Barrett milking this video for all it's worth.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:35 pm

What's important to me is that his statement was in response to a question about making Wisconsin "a right to work". If he has no intent to pursue Right to Work legislation, why did he respond to such a question with a "divide and conquer" strategy discussion?
Last edited by jman111 on Fri May 11, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Fri May 11, 2012 12:40 pm

jman111 wrote:What's important to me is that his statement was in response to a question about making Wisconsin "a right to work". If he has no intent to pursure Right to Work legislation, why did he respond to such a question with a "divide and conquer" strategy discussion?

My guess is when he said he had no intention to make Wisconsin a "Right to Work' state, it was after collective bargaining blew up in his face and he was facing a recall. It will be interesting to see if his intentions change if he defeats Barrett and is no longer subject to a recall.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote: It will be interesting to see if his intentions change if he defeats Barrett and is no longer subject to a recall.

Although, if the Dems pick up seats in the Senate than he is screwed. If he doesn't want to bring this state together and only divide, I say fuck him and let the Dems block every piece of legislation he puts forward.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri May 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Just unbelievable--we have people here at elsewhere defending the use of the phrase "divide and conquer" by a democratically elected governor?

Governors are elected to unite and lead. And how the hell can anyone say that, in a democratic republic, it is acceptable to "conquer" any portion of the citizens?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 11, 2012 1:04 pm

That's true. I don't think it's expected that a Governor appease all view points all the time but his office is supposed to represent all the people of Wisconsin. That means compromising at least every now and then. This Governor represents corporate interests only. Everything he's done was premeditated. if he had run on the platform of ramming through ALEC written legislation and using his office to weaken political opponents would he have been elected? He with held his true intent through the entire campaign. He lied his way into office.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri May 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Galoot wrote:Governors are elected to unite and lead.
Where do you get that from?

Return to “Local Politics & Government”