Green Lantern Eating Co-Op-missing love connection

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Rock

Green Lantern Eating Co-Op-missing love connection

Postby Rock » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:43 pm

I was in love with a women at the GL Eating COOP in 1978--approx.

I do not have a clue what her name is.

Any records of members during that time?

Need to find her.

I lived in the Y at the time where the co-op was on the first floor.

She was so, so, beautiful.

Any ideas on how to find her.

Marsha Rummel

Re: Green Lantern Eating Co-Op-missing love connection

Postby Marsha Rummel » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Are you thinking of the Main Course Restaurant which a collectively managed restaurant on the first floor of the old Brooks St Y (now Porchlight)? GLC was on University Ave.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:45 pm

Rock wrote:I was in love with a women at the GL Eating COOP in 1978--approx.

duh, craigslist missed connections.

never fear, these things always lead to happy endings.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:43 pm

Marsha, your memory is as long as mine and maybe better, but I think there was a final iteration of the Green Lantern at the Brooks Street Y in about 78. I was working across Johnson street in the education building at the time and would now and then walk over to the GL for lunch. Unfortunately, the place was highly dependent on one good cook and when she left, the food got so bad the coop finished falling apart and morphed into something else I don't remember. (I do remember one of the comments on the comment board at the time said simply "try WASHING the carrots.")

(The comment "Janis Joplin died for your sins" in the women's bathroom also sticks in my mind too. Between the two, you kinda get the picture.)

Can't help the guy looking for the hot coop chick from 33 years ago, though. 33 years can do a lot of ...er, damage and I'd say he needs to move on, though it's none of my business. There was, briefly, kind of a "scene" happening at the Y, though money was always the problem. I remember a friend of mine painting a large, passionately political mural depicting the uprising of the working class (or something -- hard to tell) on the wall of the main lounge, and I see we're still waiting.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:11 am

snoqueen wrote:...though it's none of my business.

Who knows...maybe it's you he's looking for.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:31 am

God help him.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:21 pm

The Green Lantern Eating Coop when it was next to 602 Club on University.

From my failing memory, the GL moved to the Brooks Street Y sometime between 1985 and 87. They closed about 3 years later. I was a fairly regular member from around 1977 to the bitter end.

There was a kitchen & cafeteria space in the Y, so I'm sure the lovelorn guy remembers some other organization there. Either that or he has confused 1978 with 1988.

The food did generally get worse at the Y. There were many different cooks over the years, many were excellent.

The GL did not go out of business because of bad food. A member who works for the Wisconsin Internal Revenue Service put up a poster in his workplace urging people to stop by for lunch. To make a long story short, sales taxes had not been paid going back to the 1940s, and the coop was presented with a bill for $300,000. I remember the day vividly, because there was an anxious earlier discussion on whether $50 should be ventured to fix a drain.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:30 pm

I taught at the City High School alternative program in the late 70s (before it combined with Malcolm Shabazz) and I remember a student who got work study credit at the eating co-op located at the Brooks Street Y. Beyond that, my memory is very fuzzy.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:13 pm

snoqueen wrote:. 33 years can do a lot of ...er, damage and I'd say he needs to move on,

Old hippie's don't age well :shock:

ColumbiaCounty

Postby ColumbiaCounty » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:38 pm

I remember hearing that there was a coin operated machine in the GL that dispensed marijuana cigarettes. Can anyone confirm that story?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Why do you ask?

ColumbiaCounty

Postby ColumbiaCounty » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:28 pm

snoqueen wrote:Why do you ask?

I reckon I'm just curious...

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Old hippie's don't age well :shock:

Old hippie's what? Bell bottoms?

Oh, you meant old HIPPIES.

Never mind.

Boy, that joint vending machine sure got around.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:10 pm

ColumbiaCounty wrote:I remember hearing that there was a coin operated machine in the GL that dispensed marijuana cigarettes. Can anyone confirm that story?

It was one of those candy machines found in ancient gas stations. You pulled-out a lever to get your reward. The herbal dispensor was cryptically known to members as "the religious stamp machine." The local dealer charged with refilling it was dubbed "God", which sort-of makes sense. News of a fresh visitation from God was whispered among His flock.

For 35 cents, one pulled a lever and received a joint and a wooden stick match. Charming. Definitely a community-friendly loss-leader.

ColumbiaCounty

Postby ColumbiaCounty » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:00 am

Huckleby wrote:
ColumbiaCounty wrote:I remember hearing that there was a coin operated machine in the GL that dispensed marijuana cigarettes. Can anyone confirm that story?

It was one of those candy machines found in ancient gas stations. You pulled-out a lever to get your reward. The herbal dispensor was cryptically known to members as "the religious stamp machine." The local dealer charged with refilling it was dubbed "God", which sort-of makes sense. News of a fresh visitation from God was whispered among His flock.

For 35 cents, one pulled a lever and received a joint and a wooden stick match. Charming. Definitely a community-friendly loss-leader.

Great story! Thanks for the details.

Return to “Catch All”