Cheap Reception/ Party Venues- Recommendations?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
brentron909
Forum Addict

Cheap Reception/ Party Venues- Recommendations?

Postby brentron909 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Hey there TDPF!

Next year me and my better half are gonna be tying the knot.

We already have a wedding venue booked, but we're looking for a place to celebrate the nuptials. In a slight inversion of the usual progression, we plan on having the reception BEFORE the wedding, on a Saturday night, then getting married on a Sunday morning. We're trying to keep things simple (cheap). So, I thought I would throw this one out to the Forum and see what I could get for venue recommendations for our wedding pre-party.

Here are our criteria for the reception venue:
-cheap
-indoors
-allows live music (we plan on booking a cover band)
-flexible with food and booze options (ideally we could bring in our own beer/wine/pizza/appetizers, which seems to be the cheapest option)
-not a total dump
-downtown or a manageable drive for our out-of-town guests

So far, I've contacted the Avenue Bar (they have that big banquet room), East Side Club, Goodman Community Center, Nau-Ti-Gal, and Memorial Union (Tripp Commons). East Side and Tripp Commons have been ruled out due to their "minimum service fees", the others still seem like decent options.

Our wedding date is still a year away, so we're still in the planning stages, but the more recommendations, the better.

Thanks for looking, dear online community!

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cheap Reception/ Party Venues- Recommendations?

Postby eriedasch » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Monona Community Center,
The Brink,
The Coliseum Bar (upstairs)

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:53 pm

-flexible with food and booze options (ideally we could bring in our own beer/wine/pizza/appetizers, which seems to be the cheapest option)

This is going to be the hardest to find. Most all places will require you buy their food and definitely their marked-up wedding priced beer. Budget 250-300 for a keg of Miller Lite. Went to one at the Masonic this year. Don't know what it costs but it was very nice.

kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:09 pm

Don't use the W word. Call it a party. The price may be higher for a wedding.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:38 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

This is going to be the hardest to find. Most all places will require you buy their food and definitely their marked-up wedding priced beer. Budget 250-300 for a keg of Miller Lite. Went to one at the Masonic this year. Don't know what it costs but it was very nice.

There are some places that will let you bring in your own food, but you will have to pay a fee. I went thru all of this about a year ago as we did not want to get stuck paying a lot for poor quality food.

I am not aware of very many places that will let you bring in your own booze as that is how most of these operations make their money. Lake Farm Park is one that comes to mind, but their reception hall is a lot more expensive to rent so likely not save any money by going there.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”