Gogebic Taconite - More favoritism to Walker Donors!!!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
thewall

Gogebic Taconite - More favoritism to Walker Donors!!!

Postby thewall » Fri May 13, 2011 10:02 pm

http://www.biztimes.com/daily/2011/5/13 ... e-proposal

" State Rep. Mark Honadel, R-South Milwaukee, plans to introduce a bill that would make it easier for iron ore mines to be approved. Iron ore mines should be reviewed in a separate process from how sulfide mine proposals, such as a possible gold mine near Wausau, are reviewed, he said. State Sen. Rich Zipperer, R-Pewaukee, said it is “very likely” he will sponsor a companion bill in the Senate. "

Out of state donors Gogebic Taconite LLC donated heavily to Wisconsin's Temporary Governor Scott Walker and Gogebic is on the Boycott list. Block all chances of this company polluting and exploiting the resources of Wisconsin for their out of state profits. This abomination cannot proceed and the "fast track" legislation favoring Gogebic is untenable. Gogebic Taconite LLC... Wisconsin is CLOSED for your business.

bwilliams@gogebictaconite.com, mfifield@gogebictaconite.com, dward@gogebictaconite.com

How to Follow something everywhere Google goes.

go to
http://www.google.com/alerts

In the 'Search Terms" Type:
Gogebic

in "Your Email" Type:
Your Email Address.

Click [Create Alert].

You will get a confirmation Email, and click to accept that.

Then you will get an email every few days like:

=== News - 1 new result for [Gogebic Taconite LLC] ===

Mine plans raise economic hopes and environmental fears
Milwaukee Small Business Times
Gogebic Taconite LLC is exploring plans to create an iron ore mine near
Ashland in Ashland County and Iron County. Aquila Resources Inc. is
exploring plans ...
<http://www.biztimes.com/news/2011/5/13/mine-plans-raise-economic-hopes-and-environmental-fears>

Click through the link to see the site.

Add Comments Reminding the other readers of the Boycott, or pick up new email contacts.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gogebic Taconite - More favoritism to Walker Donors!!!

Postby snoqueen » Sat May 14, 2011 10:40 am

Coincidentally, the Walker administration is reorganizing DNR to "streamline the permitting process."

I recommend a field trip to northern Minnesota to the iron range for a look at the dying taconite towns and destroyed landscape. Why would we want this for the north woods, instead of a reasonably prosperous and totally sustainable tourist industry?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gogebic Taconite - More favoritism to Walker Donors!!!

Postby gargantua » Sat May 14, 2011 10:52 am

snoqueen wrote:Why would we want this for the north woods, instead of a reasonably prosperous and totally sustainable tourist industry?

Because in the short term, Walker's donors stand to make a lot of money. In the short term, it will create a fair number of high paying jobs that Walker will be able to take credit for. By the time the environmental bill comes due, he will be long gone.

This is a common theme of the Walker administration: What can we turn into cash regardless of long term consequences, and what can we cut now that may have a long term payoff? Examples include but are not limited to refusing the $810 million in high speed rail money, and scrapping the plan to use biofuel at the UW power plant.

The future will just have to take care of itself.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”