Ghost bike, Baldwin and Wilson

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Ingabinga

Ghost bike, Baldwin and Wilson

Postby Ingabinga » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:28 pm

The ghost bike at the corner of Baldwin and Wilson is a creative memorial to a guy who I'm sure is missed by his family and friends. It says "car vs. bike = one dead," and it marks the one-year anniversary of David Neift's death. He died needlessly and I'm very sorry for his loss.

I just think it's ironic that the ghost bike is locked to the very stop sign that Mr. Neift, who was not wearing a helmet and who was intoxicated (http://www.channel3000.com/news/19884899/detail.html), failed to heed when he blew through the intersection and ran into the side of the car that was crossing the intersection.

I just want to point this out because I know the driver of the car was devastated, even though cleared of any fault in the collision by the police investigation.

Wear a helmet. Comply with traffic regulations. Please.

towanda
Forum Addict

Re: Ghost bike, Baldwin and Wilson

Postby towanda » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:19 pm

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:44 pm

towanda wrote:Is that the same intersection where this guy's head was saved by his helmet when a truck ran over him?

No. Same part of town. Maybe a mile away.

And his his head wasn't in the helmet when the truck ran over the helmet. It might have been attached to his head but even the best styrofoam ain't gonna hold up a truck.

jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby jackisonian » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:14 pm

Interesting you post this today. I saw Dave's Mom and Dad yesterday and told them about the bike. I took a picture of it when I saw it a coupla weeks ago. I showed it to them. Told them about Ghost Bikes, what little I know anyway.

Dave liked to drink and Dave liked to ride his bike. He rode his bike everywhere, all the time. He had his problems but he wasn't a "bad" guy, I liked Dave.

There is no excuse for what he did and the affect it has had on his family and the driver and their family. I really feel for the driver in the accident because it could have been any of us. They had no fault, only wrong place wrong time. Drinking and driving anything is a big big problem around here.

Ride your bike safely people.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:04 pm

This is just another example of why automobiles and bicycles don't mix. Yet we continuously try to incorporate the two together on the same roadways. Often with disastrous and deadly consequences. Our city officials bow to the whines of our avid bike riding community who demand the roadways for their personal use. Instead of demanding the roadways that were designed for automobiles for their bike usage, they should be demanding an entirely different bike system designed specifically for them. And by "them" I also include myself.

I love my bike, but think it stupid to compete with 2 tons of fast moving steel and glass. And this little piecemeal system they have going on is absurd at best. A bike lane here, a red box there. Naked bike rides protesting vehicle traffic, asshole rides like Critical Mass events, etc. They have all this energy to peddle their happy asses everywhere but then have no brain power left to deal with the actual problems that plague bicyclists and motorists alike. Cycling is a different and separate mode of transportation and should be treated as such.

More people would also take to biking if this was incorporated. We have separate systems for every other form of travel. Why not for something as important as biking? More people should be biking and a safe and economical system should be designed for them to do so. I speak with fellow bicyclists who commute to their work almost everyday. They love the ability to bike, but also do so with constant trepidation of an automobile related accident. A very real fear. And the biker argument that it's all the motorists fault and they should just pay more attention isn't sound or realistic.

It's hard enough for motorists to pay attention to everything else that city driving entails. They're more worried about the other tons of fast moving steel and glass surrounding them than they are about Zippy The Hippie on his way to the Granola Den. Bottom line, as both bikes AND motorists continue to increase and flood our roadways, deaths and injuries are sure to increase as well.

A completely separate biking system is the only true solution to this deadly combination we are forced to deal with today.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Remember_Me --

Bikes and cars can and have co-existed for decades and while there are occasional problems, my impression is that it's not as serious as you suggest. Neither bikers nor drivers are dropping like flies and if there's any mode of transportation -- sharing space with another or not -- which has a 0% accident and fatality rate, I've never heard of it. And while getting hit by a car is indeed "a very real fear", it happens rarely, and most survive without grave injuries when it does.

You concluded by saying that "as both bikes and motorists continue to increase and flood our roadways, deaths and injuries are sure to increase as well" but what basis do you have for that assertion? Bikes and motorists have been increasing on our roadways for decades and everything I've seen suggests that injury and death rates for both have gone down, not up, due to increased safety and awareness measures.

Couldn't find stats for Madison, but here's the entire state:
Not only would I consider those crash and fatality numbers low, they're lower than those for pedestrians, as well as clearly being on either a downward trend or remaining steady (looks like a downward trend to me, but I don't know if the difference is statistically significant.)

Other interesting tidbits:
If you don't want to die in an accident, ride a school bus.
The likelihood of death in a bike/car collision is exactly the same as in a car/deer collision.
Motorcycles are as dangerous as Mom told ya.
Don't drink and drive.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Remember_Me wrote:This is just another example of why automobiles and bicycles don't mix.

I understand what you say and I think there's plenty of that kind of example but in this case I don't think there's any lesson except "don't get a go-fastee thing and then barrel without looking into a place where there might be a big hard thing."

keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:...

Couldn't find stats for Madison, but here's the entire state:
Not only would I consider those crash and fatality numbers low, they're lower than those for pedestrians, as well as clearly being on either a downward trend or remaining steady (looks like a downward trend to me, but I don't know if the difference is statistically significant.)

I was a little surprised by the relatively low number of bicycle fatalities, even more so when the data is broken down between rural and urban locations. Typically much higher percentage in rural areas where there are likely no alternatives to shared roads and a lot fewer conflict points. There is no way to completely separate bikes, peds & motorized vehicles - there's always an intersection of the three. Just owing to human nature, there will be an equivalent percentage of obnoxious, rule-defiant motorists, cyclists & pedestrians requiring the rest of us to be just a bit more defensive and diligent.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:58 pm

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often on Wilson St. They are putting up additional signage to try to make it safer for bicycles, but many bicycle riders plow through the stop signs along Wilson street. The traffic from streets on the "bike path" part before Ingersoll is much less than on Baldwin and Ingersoll. Riders don't seem to get this and treat them the same way (though even those other streets shouldn't be handled this way).

I ride both car and bike down Ingersoll and Baldwin pretty regularly and I am always amazed at how reckless cyclists are going down Wilson there. I often have to stop for them despite the fact that I have the right-of-way.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:17 pm

TAsunder wrote:I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often on Wilson St. They are putting up additional signage to try to make it safer for bicycles, but many bicycle riders plow through the stop signs along Wilson street. The traffic from streets on the "bike path" part before Ingersoll is much less than on Baldwin and Ingersoll. Riders don't seem to get this and treat them the same way (though even those other streets shouldn't be handled this way).

I ride both car and bike down Ingersoll and Baldwin pretty regularly and I am always amazed at how reckless cyclists are going down Wilson there. I often have to stop for them despite the fact that I have the right-of-way.
Yep. What blows me away is they'll yell at you after they ran the stop sign, at night, with no lights.

HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Suuure, whateva.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Sitting in my car at the stoplight on Willy, going North on Baldwin, a Bicyclist pulls up beside me and POUNDS his FIST on the HOOD of my car because he "THOUGHT" I was going to turn on the Red Light, but I was just waiting there at an angle. He then rolled straight through the RED LIGHT after yelling at me twice.

Driving down the hill on Baldwin and taking a left turn onto Wilson at night, a bicyclist blowing through the stop sign with no headlight screams "FUCKHEAD!" because I didn't use my blinker.

South on Thornton turning right onto Jenifer, another bicyclist yelled at me for not using my blinker as he rolled through a stop sign because I made him slow down "unnecessarily," apparently.

I've had about 6 total similar incidents. If you're going to yell at someone, or punch their car, the least you could do is not break traffic laws while you're doing it.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:31 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:If you're going to yell at someone, or punch their car, the least you could do is not break traffic laws while you're doing it.
Says the jackass bitching about bikers after admitting he doesn't signal for turns and apparently sits at angles at intersections. What's all that about Mr. Obey-The-Law?

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:55 pm

That makes me a jackass? Drive much in Madison?

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:55 pm

I don't get yelled at by [other] cyclists in these situations. I just get the occasional look in the scenarios I described. And it was coming from the perspective of their safety and not any minimal inconvenience caused to me. I am aware of the phenomenon and drive/ride accordingly.

Just wanted to make sure I was properly distanced from the above nonsense.

Return to “Headlines”