Grothman vs. Madison

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Grothman vs. Madison

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:30 am

State Sen. Glenn Grothman is preparing a bill that would allow the state to set the city's snow removal standards.

Those of us who listen to the radio on our way into work were treated to abuse from this guy from a place best known for churning out crappy toasters. He has some valid points and, as Madison is the seat of state government and the university, it makes some sense that the state would have some authority in clearing the streets after a large snow. After all, the state shuts down if people can't get to work in Madison.

But the guy can't help himself from insulting everyone in sight. Apparently, he thinks you can't set policy without firing off blast after blast at the "Jenifer Street crowd" and how everyone in Madison "walks to work at the co-op" and "hates cars."

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Grothman vs. Madison

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:44 am

That's some pretty dumb shit right there. Dumber than Blaska even. I guess I still don't see what all the controversy is about. We had resources to do one of two things:

1) Hit the main streets really well
2) Hit every street half assed.

Option 1 leaves a lot of people unable to leave their homes. Option 2 kind of sucked for a few days.

I agree with the mayor's decision to plow as many streets as possible even if it wasn't as thorough a job. He was going to catch heat for it either way. That's the hard part of being the "decider"

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:45 am

I'm shocked he didn't mix in a homo blast while he was at it. A real he-man red-meat-eating out-stater would have said something like:

This is what happens when you have a city with politicians whose base is people who walk to their job at the co-op to get free-range sprouts for their 'domestic partner' ifyouknowwhatImean to serve at their solstice dinner. The two-mommy seat of Dane Countystan should celebrate a little less diversity and a little more plowing - snow and otherwise.

Crow
Forum Addict

Postby Crow » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:49 am

Eh, he's probably just peeved because the snow made it difficult for him to wander down State Street and eat alone at one of our fine college bars. (I've seen it. He looks lonely.)

And c'mon Jason -- the day Grothman has "valid points" will be the day that the Earth cracks in two and a gargantuan baby bird comes crashing out.

Any legislative folk know if he's still nicknamed "Spooky" around the Capitol?

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 am

jjoyce wrote: how everyone in Madison "walks to work at the co-op" and "hates cars."

Now that you mention it, has anyone ever actually seen our Mayor drive a car?

A fomer mayor brings up some valid points about what caused the problems. With those comments in mind, perhaps the state does need to step in afterall. Just because this idea comes from an evil GOPer doesn't mean it is all bad. Does anyone else have any solutions?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:10 am

Peanutbutter wrote:
jjoyce wrote: how everyone in Madison "walks to work at the co-op" and "hates cars."

A fomer mayor brings up some valid points about what caused the problems. With those comments in mind, perhaps the state does need to step in afterall. Just because this idea comes from an evil GOPer doesn't mean it is all bad. Does anyone else have any solutions?

You're kidding, right? There's a pretty long list, but this has to be near the top of the list of the dumbest things you've ever written. Maybe you wrote it under the influence of Ambien?

Sure, I have a solution. Acquire enough snow removal equipment to do the job and accept the higher taxes that would involve. Or, cut something else. Mr. Peanut Butter, when you wake up maybe you could tell us exactly what the something else you would cut would be. Or, accept the fact that we may occasionally be hit by storms that are bigger than our streets' department's ability to handle effectively. The solution is NOT to have some two-bit, local-control loving except when it's inconvenient hypocrite politician go out and grandstand by proposing legislation that no one in his right mind would support.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:24 am

Peanutbutter wrote:

Yeah, I see him in his car downtown occasionally, parking near the Square. I've also seen him on the bus.

Grothman is a tool, and it's always sad that his often-ridiculous policy suggestions get as much attention from the media as they do.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Hey, if the state (or, better yet, West Bend) wants to foot the bill for Madison snow removal, I say bring it!

Or isn't that part of Grothman's plan?

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Ducatista wrote:Hey, if the state (or, better yet, West Bend) wants to foot the bill for Madison snow removal, I say bring it!

Or isn't that part of Grothman's plan?

Nah, he just wants to tell us how much salt to put on the roads. There's no money attached to his suggestion that the state get involved.

Here's a suggestion, Glen: How about the state pays to plow US Hwy 151 (AKA East Washington -> Blair -> John Nolen -> North Shore -> Proudfit -> West Washington -> S Park St) all the way to the Capitol and out to the Beltline. Then you can bitch about the conditions.

Until then, just consider the conditions on E Wash as an attempt to keep you from work. Yeah, we did it on purpose, and we're proud of it.

Human

Postby Human » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Nah, he just wants to tell us how much salt to put on the roads.

Grothman and other people on the right are obsessed with the amount of salt the city used, probably because it gives them an opening to blame the problems on the "environmental extremists" who apparently control the city.

But wouldn't have done much good on the days right after the storm, because it was so cold -- too cold for salt to melt anything. The real problem was that we don't have enough resources -- snowplows and people -- to do everything, so the Mayor had to decide what to do, and his decision displeased some people.

If Grothman really wants the city to do a better job of snow removal, he should find a way to get more resources -- i.e., money -- to Madison. But I don't think that's his plan. If he had his way, Madison would get even less money in State payments, and the tax limits would be tighter than they are now.

The real point of his Grothman's proposal is really in those "random" asides about co-ops and Jenifer Street. This is really an early shot in this year's election campaign -- he's trying to turn snow removal into a wedge social issue, like gay marriage or Death Panels or the War on Christmas. I guess we'll have to see how that flies this year.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:53 pm

fisticuffs wrote:That's some pretty dumb shit right there. Dumber than Blaska even.

Its McKenna-level dumb ( the screechy radio person, not the street).

Plus, he's using awesome weasel words.

Some say Grothman is just trying to 'impress' Sarah Palin with his outrageous comments. I'm worried he'll try to 'impress' her John Hinckley-style.

I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:24 pm

I call bullshit. I walk to the co-op regularly and the conditions around it were no better than anywhere else.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Here's why this isn't about Grothman's party affiliation: He demonstrates exactly how serious and policy-minded he is by spending at least two-thirds of his time with the media be-bopping and scatting all over the caricature of a Madison liberal.

I'm sure that plays in Madison, but here it's a clear sign that he has no interest in being taken seriously.

Think about it: If there's one issue that has no partisan boundaries, it's snow plowing. Liberals and conservatives both hate a rutted, icy street equally.

But this is where we are right now. What percentage of proposals from either side of the aisle have nothing to do with policy and everything to do with bashing the other guy?

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:06 pm

jjoyce wrote:But this is where we are right now. What percentage of proposals from either side of the aisle have nothing to do with policy and everything to do with bashing the other guy?

Grothman has never in his legislative career been interested in policy. He doesn't "introduce" (and by that I mean "talk up but never actually have drafted") legislation to address important public issues, he does it to put out douchey press releases that feed his red meat talk radio base. Even his own caucus thinks he's a joke.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”