Shooting In Fitchburg

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Shooting In Fitchburg

Postby Shipley » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:40 am

Or more specifically, shooting in the house right next door to mine.

Don't know too many details yet. It was around 1 AM and there is one dead. I spoke with the police, but didn't have too much useful info since I was woken up by the shot.

Detective I spoke with gave me his card and it says "Narcotics & Gang Task Force"

No local news here yet, you hear it first. I can't sleep now.

DrStarbuck

Postby DrStarbuck » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:24 am

I find it frustrating that, 7 hours after this event happened, there is still nothing posted on any local news site or even the Fitchburg Police Dept. site. Heard any more details, Shipley?

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:09 am

After I talked to police (I want to make the point that AFTER I made a statement), I called WISC. No answer. Then I called WKOW, No answer. Then I called WMTV, and they took some information, but I still don't see an update.
I called my buddy who works at WKOW and he woke up the news director who said he'd send someone over at 930 AM.

I left the house for work this morning with still several patrol cars in the parking lot, and a rather large RV being used a mobile office for the detectives involved. there were still officers posted at the front and back doors, and I saw one call out from the 2nd floor bedroom. Its a townhouse, so this house is literally attached to mine.

The local media may be waiting for a statement from the police, and the police may have asked them to hold stories pending, since the investigation is still ongoing.

I've only lived at this address for a few weeks, on high ridge trail in Fitchburg. I don't know my neighbors, the only ones I've spoken too are the kids, who play out front almost every day. Whatever happened, this ain't good for those kids.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:31 am

The Cap Times has a very brief report online.
There was a shooting involving Fitchburg police overnight but no details were being released.

Fitchburg police declined to offer any details Saturday morning and said the media would have to wait for a press release.

Other law enforcement agencies confirmed the officer involved shooting but deferred all comment to Fitchburg police.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:08 am

Well that explains why police were on the scene when I woke up. Re-enforcements arrived by 1:15. And by that I mean probably 10 cars, ambulance, Fire Truck, etc...

Its never a good sign when you see an EMT walk to scene.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:27 pm

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/breaking_news/291544
Update: Fitchburg police shoot, kill suspect
Wisconsin State Journal
A Fitchburg police officer shot and killed a combative suspect earlier Saturday morning, the Dane County Sheriff's office said.Check the State Journal online for more information.

Juan Manuel Avalos-Cisneros, 27, died from a gunshot wound to the chest, the sheriff's office said.

At around 1 a.m., police were called to an apartment at 2286 High Ridge Trail about a disturbance. An officer arrived and was confronted by Avalos-Cisneros, who was holding a length of coaxial cable.

The sheriff's office said the officer tried to use verbal commands to calm Avalos-Cisneros and also drew his Taser, which the man knocked out of his hand.

Avalos-Cisneros then reportedly hit the officer several times in the head before the officer was able to draw his gun and shoot him once.

Fitchburg police, the sheriff's office and the Dane County District Attorney are investigation the incident.

A friend of the man, Jose Vasquez of Madison, said earlier Saturday that Avalos-Cisneros may have been drunk and fighting with family members before the shooting.

He and the man's family had gathered at Centro Guadalupe in Madison on Saturday, he said.

Vasquez said Avalos-Cisneros was from Mount Horeb but was staying for a few days at his sister's home in Fitchburg.

Sounds consistent with what I heard.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:44 pm

A man weilding a piece of "rope" gets killed by the cops?

Why can't our cops learn how to subdue an unarmed suspect without killing them?

Unfuckingbelievable but true. It's no wonder they waited to inform the public with a press release.

How many ways are there to spin a coax cable?

Damage control.

Cops out in the "hicks" do better than this.

Shipley, I'm sorry this happened to you and your neighbors.

Something has to be done about our blood thirsty cowardly law enforcement.

It's looking like the last thing you want to do during a domestic dispute is call the cops unless you want the event to end in disaster.

We hear about one law enforement fuck up after another. I do not feel secure. It's time to go to Cabella's.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:57 pm

A quick karate chop to the neck should have done the trick.

I mean...it always worked for TJ Hooker, did it not?

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:34 pm

The sheriff's office said the officer tried to use verbal commands to calm Avalos-Cisneros

Since when do "commands" calm anyone down? Do any of these cops have kids? Are they that stupid?

I'm serious.

Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby Elliot » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:10 pm

DrStarbuck wrote:I find it frustrating that, 7 hours after this event happened, there is still nothing posted on any local news site or even the Fitchburg Police Dept. site. Heard any more details, Shipley?

SERIOUSLY. WHY, AFTER SEVEN HOURS, HAVE THE POLICE NOT UPDATED THEIR WEBSITE???????? WHAT COULD THEY POSSIBLY BE DOING WITH THEIR TIME??????? ISN'T THE POLICE REPORT WEBSITE THE FIRST THING THAT SHOULD BE UPDATED, LIKE, IMMEDIATELY????? WHY WASN'T THERE A REPORT AT 1:00 AM WHEN IT HAPPENED?????? DON'T THE POLICE HAVE iPHONES?????

Are you kidding me? It happened late on a Friday night and by 8:24 am on a Saturday morning you demand a full report? You're asking a lot out of a police department. It would be reasonable to have an explanation WHEN THEY HAVE ONE.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:49 pm

and like I said, they were still investigating and collecting evidence and statements. those reports take time to write.

Bunny Chow wrote:A man weilding a piece of "rope" gets killed by the cops?

Unfuckingbelievable but true. It's no wonder they waited to inform the public with a press release.

Damage control.

It's looking like the last thing you want to do during a domestic dispute is call the cops unless you want the event to end in disaster.

We hear about one law enforement fuck up after another. I do not feel secure. It's time to go to Cabella's.

I don't know if you read what I read, but the guy threatened the cop, brandished a weapon, punched him in the head, and then knocked the taser out the cop's hand. He was shot during a struggle, meaning the officer was likely fighting for his own life and used deadly as a last resort.

I'm sorry it happened to, but I have slightly more respect for the officers of the law. If a cop tells me to calm down, and put down a weapon, I'll do it. If you think for a second that arming yourself would help you, or if this guy having a gun would've helped him, you're quite delusional. Try to think of the last time an armed standoff with police ever ended well.

The police were on the scene because of this guy. He got combative, and he lost. Its sad, but theres better ways to handle a situation, and this guy didn't chose any of those ways.

"Blood Thirsty Law Enforcement" heh.
How many bodies does the Fitchburg Police Department have at this point?

dawnbug

Postby dawnbug » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:37 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:A man weilding a piece of "rope" gets killed by the cops?

Damage control.

I was next door at the time, too. In a townhouse with a bunch of kids next door on either side, we can never really hear anything from our neighbors. Last night, I was awoken by thumping-- obvious signs of an intense struggle, that ended with a gunshot. I wasn't in the room-- I don't know what happened and if the police officer's life was really in danger or if they overreacted to the situation. But what I heard sounded intense either way, and I can't think malicious thoughts against the police officers involved.

A tragedy, for certain. I'm sure a thorough investigation of the matter was underway throughout the day, as the last police officer didn't leave the parking lot today until around 3pm.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:26 pm

I wonder if the local news is going to forget all about this story with all the flooding.

mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby mayact4 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:29 am

DrStarbuck wrote:I find it frustrating that, 7 hours after this event happened, there is still nothing posted on any local news site or even the Fitchburg Police Dept. site. Heard any more details, Shipley?

Wow. Talk about a sense of entitlement.

DrStarbuck

Postby DrStarbuck » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:54 am

Elliot wrote:

SERIOUSLY. WHY, AFTER SEVEN HOURS, HAVE THE POLICE NOT UPDATED THEIR WEBSITE???????? WHAT COULD THEY POSSIBLY BE DOING WITH THEIR TIME??????? ISN'T THE POLICE REPORT WEBSITE THE FIRST THING THAT SHOULD BE UPDATED, LIKE, IMMEDIATELY????? WHY WASN'T THERE A REPORT AT 1:00 AM WHEN IT HAPPENED?????? DON'T THE POLICE HAVE iPHONES?????

Are you kidding me? It happened late on a Friday night and by 8:24 am on a Saturday morning you demand a full report? You're asking a lot out of a police department. It would be reasonable to have an explanation WHEN THEY HAVE ONE.

Where did you see me ask for a "full report?"

I read a post on a local public forum about a shooting in the house next door to the poster, with one person dead, and I personally would like to know that there is no further threat to public safety. Is a gunman on the loose? Has the situation been contained? A simple one-line statement to local media would have been better than NO INFORMATION AT ALL.

Return to “Headlines”