Marquette Waterfront 2008 Lineup

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.
Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Marquette Waterfront 2008 Lineup

Postby Bifftar » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Waterfront Festival : 2008 Schedule
The 19th Annual Marquette Waterfront Festival

Saturday, June 7th
12:00 - Pagee Go Go
1:30 - Tani Diakite and the Malian Blues Band
3:00 - The Vagabond Opera
4:45 - Grupo Candela
6:30 - Nation Beat (Brazil/NYC)

Sunday, June 8th
11:45 - The Ritt Deitz Quintet
1:15 - Marques Bovre and So Dang Yang Featuring Jim Schwall
2:45 - Pistolera (Brooklyn- Alt-Folklorico)
4:30 - Feufollet (Lafayette, LA.)
6:15 - Paul Cebar and the Milwaukeeans

more info: http://www.marquette-neighborhood.org/f ... ry_id=2207

lineup from: http://www.marquette-neighborhood.org/f ... ry_id=2715

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Marquette Waterfront 2008 Lineup

Postby Bifftar » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:14 pm

Bifftar wrote:Waterfront Festival : 2008 Schedule
The 19th Annual Marquette Waterfront Festival

Saturday, June 7th
12:00 - Pagee Go Go
1:30 - Tani Diakite and the Malian Blues Band
3:00 - on - Rained out.

Sunday, June 8th
11:45 - The Ritt Deitz Quintet
1:15 - Marques Bovre and So Dang Yang Featuring Jim Schwall
2:45 - Pistolera (Brooklyn- Alt-Folklorico)
4:30 - Feufollet (Lafayette, LA.)
6:15 - Paul Cebar and the Milwaukeeans

is it silly to ask - why always this weekend? seems like the best acts always get rained out...

madmax
Forum Addict

Waterfront Festival Rain

Postby madmax » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:02 am

In the Marquette Waterfront Festival's 19 years this is the first time a featured act has been cancelled at the park. Headliner, Nation Beat, played two amazing sets at the Crystal last night and The Vagabond Opera will return to Madison on Wed. to perform at a site to be determined.
We will try to get up and running at Yahara Place Park today but have the Crystal Corner stage ready to go just in case. This has been the worst weekend of weather for this event ever and we thank everyone who has expressed concern.
See you at the park or at the Crystal. WORT will relay rainout and alternative site information.
Bob Queen- MNA Event Coordinator

BobbyOrr

Postby BobbyOrr » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:21 am

No WORT access today, so it'd be appreciated if the final call is posted here. Best of luck getting it going.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:27 am

Bob Queeen - can I announce on air everything is moved to Crystal? At same times as previously scheduled?
thanks,
Stu

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:14 pm

just called the Crystal - around 3pm they're having

Pistolera (Brooklyn- Alt-Folklorico)
Feufollet (Lafayette, LA.)
Paul Cebar and the Milwaukeeans

with a donation at the door. Marquess isn't playing.

and, for the record, I recall Clyde Stubblefield being rained out at least twice, once as a headliner...

:wink:

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Waterfront Festival Rain

Postby Bifftar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:03 pm

madmax wrote: The Vagabond Opera will return to Madison on Wed. to perform at a site to be determined.

Please let us know when / where Vagabond will play - really wanted to see them...

hollywood

next year

Postby hollywood » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:03 pm

Maybe next year they can put the rain out information on the poster/advertising so when the reat of us who don't look up such things online on a sunday afternoon will be able to know that when they go by and see a rained out cancelled fair and go home (like me a and a few of my friends, that the music is on somewhere else.

madmax
Forum Addict

Vagabond Opera-Wed. at Wil-Mar 7pm

Postby madmax » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:39 pm

Sorry about the confusion this past weekend... but leaving the park was unprecedented. WORT, our radio sponsor, had the rain move to the Crystal immediately both days and there were signs at the park eventually on Sunday.
Thanks to Dave Day to make the Crystal available on short notice and Mike Sharp did a great job filling in as sound man.
The Vagabond Opera is coming through town on Wed. and will play an all ages show at the Wil-Mar Center, 953 Jenifer St. That should start around 7pm. It will be a free show but we are still looking for donations.
bq

Funky Monkey

Postby Funky Monkey » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:14 am

Why was the actual line-up not listed anywhere in the Isthmus? The same goes for the band(s) playing at burgers and brews last week. It is listed on the highlists page but no actual lin-up is listed, i could not find an ad either....

Really sucks the festival got rained out, but i know many people who did not go to the crystal because of the cover they were charging.. right or wrong.

And it was a $10 cover not a donation at the door.

allobrogica

Postby allobrogica » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:17 am

I was only asked to pay $5 each for two people and he said it was a donation. The show was fantastic! Looking forward to Vagabond tomorrow night...

Funky Monkey

Postby Funky Monkey » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:18 am

Wow, Really! We (three of us) were asked to pay 10 dollars each at the beginning of the show.

madmax
Forum Addict

Vagabond Opera Tonight - Wil-Mar Ctr.

Postby madmax » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:46 am

The Vagabond Opera will do a free show tonight at the Wil-Mar Center, 953 Jenifer St., starting at 7:30 pm. Because of the devastating rains last weekend we are asking for donations and selling Waterfront T-shirts and hats.
I am sorry about the people who are complaining about being asked to pitch in after 19 years of free shows. Most people did so willingly and the Crystal has limited space. We suggested a $5 donation on Sat. for Nation Beat and half the people paid thus we incurred a $2000 loss on the show. Sunday night 200 people got three great bands for $10 and we realized a $5000 loss on appearance fees and hotels etc.
The Marquette Neighborhood Association gives $30-35,000 back each year to the Wil-Mar Center and Near Eastside programs. I don't think it is much to ask for some help in covering costs in this extraordinary year.
Bob Queen-MNA Event Coordinator

allobrogica

Postby allobrogica » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:24 pm

The Vagabond show was phenomenal. I'm really sorry the rest of you missed it! It's sad about the losses this year. We really get to experience great music pretty inexpensively in Madison with all the neighborhood festivals, etc. I would think people would be more supportive... I'll chip in a little extra this year. Thanks Bob and the crew for making it happen!

madmax
Forum Addict

Orchestra Baobab Concert 6/29

Postby madmax » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:00 am

The Vagabond Opera show was exceptional. I highly recommend our Orchestra Baobab concert at the Barrymoore on Sunday June 29th. It's an early show starting at 8pm. Tickets are modestly priced for this legendary band and available at all B-moore outlets and the Willy St. Co-op. This is a warmup concert for the loaded La Fete de Marquette.
Baobab info:
http://www.marquette-neighborhood.org/f ... ry_id=5187

Return to “Hype Exchange”