Baby Happy Hour

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

How do you feel about kids (0-3) in your local bar?

1. Sure, why not?
40%
2. Don't care.
60%

Total votes: 10

Qbert

Baby Happy Hour

Postby Qbert » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:31 pm

Friends and I tend to have Baby Happy Hour a couple times a month. With a little one, it's nice to be able to get out for an hour or two and catch up with friends over a cocktail and a cheese platter in a grown up setting. Is this common practice with any other parents of little children?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:01 pm

I get pretty uncomfortable when little kids are in a bar at night, progressively moreso as the evening gets later. Happy hour would be OK so long as I don't notice their parents getting more blitzed than I am. I don't mind watching my language a bit. I spent a good amount of time watching my dad perform in bars growing up. I don't think it f-ed me up too bad. *hic*

You might want to check with the bar of choice to see if they're cool with it.

Qbert

Postby Qbert » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:16 pm

Yep, kids in bars at night = not cool.
Parents too drunk to safely take care of their children = A no brainer.
Some people I know take kids to Mickey's now that it has food. Not too sure I would venture that far. Some things should remain sacred.

dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:28 pm

I think it all depends on where and when.

For example, the Harmony Bar is full of families and kids from, say, 5-7. It's more of a restaurant at that time anyway. I feel fine taking kids there at that time.

On the other hand, driving the minivan with your 2 year old to Wando's at 11pm where you suck down fishbowls until bar time is 100% inappropriate.

Funky Monkey

Postby Funky Monkey » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:37 pm

I think it is fine during happy hour.

However pre-Smoking ban some friends and i were celebrating a birthday a Natspil. At aproximitily 10 pm two couples can in with a baby. They proceeded to ask the bar to turn down the music, ask everyone to quiet down, AND TA DA to have everyone step outside to smoke until they were gone.

That rubbed all of us the wrong way.

Qbert

Postby Qbert » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:51 pm

That rubbed all of us the wrong way.

The ol' ball and chain and I took turns with the kid on the patio at the HN during a Nice Peter happy hour show. Eventually someone in the audience offered “dead babyâ€Â

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:53 pm

Its not the babies, its the parents. If they can accept that you will not change your bar behavior because they want to bring their little ones, I think its fine during happy hours or in the afternoon, or in a place thats really a bar/restaurant. If they are demanding music is turned down or the kids are fucking screaming, etc., they should be shot on sight. After happy hour I think they should be in bed anyway.

I went to a bar in Prague two years ago that was full of babies and children. Smoke filled bar, many of the moms and dads were the ones doing the smoking. Pretty funny.

I also hate it when people bring screaming babies/children to movie theaters to see R-rated films. We get it, you never have anytime alone to see movies, but you're ruining the film for everyone else, its not about you. One cinema in my old hood had baby/mommy/daddy indie film times and accommodated strollers. That, I am fine with.

Funky Monkey

Postby Funky Monkey » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:19 pm

As far as music goes, i have seen some great artists. The parents thought they were great too, so they brought their kids.

I was at a Tori Amos show at the old Civic Center. For a little bit there was this kid wailing. She stopped playing and said somthing like "i bet all of you are wondering what horrible person brought a screaming child tonight. She started laughing and said "Me, i did."

That was funny, Little kids in bars at 10 at night are not funny. OR the kids that are a bit bigger but the parents just let them wander around.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:30 am

" ... dead naked babies I said dead naked babies ... "

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:53 am

"Every duuuuuude..."

I think kids at happy hour is okay especially outside or at a restaurant/bar, but kids at a Nice Peter show...now that's an education.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Loud drunken yell right ebfore bartime:
TOTS!!!!

Ernestine Beaverhausen

Postby Ernestine Beaverhausen » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:42 pm

At least they have diapers so they don't make a mess when they piss themselves. Can't say that much for a few patrons at the Ohio.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:14 am

Kids at the bar is cool but have you ever rolled up to day care with some long necks and a pack of smokes? You get nothing but attitude although the kids don't seem to mind.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:41 am

blunt wrote:Loud drunken yell right ebfore bartime:
TOTS!!!!

Shouldn't that read ebfore abrtime?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:52 am

I think it really depends. They used to let me come in, with my parents, at the Oakcrest, when I was a little girl. Same at the old Obie's in Middleton. They made sure I was well taken care of and served me my soda and pretzels. Man, I can still remember the bar, in Waunakee, with the little boxes of pretzels. I think there was a higher standard of behavior way back then.

I used to go to an old working class bar turned sports-family bar. It was a lot like the old Union House. If all is agreeable, I'm fine with it.

I like a bratty kid about as much as I like a drunk. Happy Hour, with responsible parents and kids, maybe okay.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”