Monona Smoking Ban Cometh

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Monona Smoking Ban Cometh

Postby Jattpw » Wed May 28, 2008 4:04 pm

Looks likely that Monona will be smoke free by July of '09!

Ok, I live in Madison so I don't care that much if Monona is smoke free. But I did want to report Carol S Thompson has risen from the ashes (so to speak):

http://www.madison.com/tct/news/stories/288594

She has gone over to that OTHER forum.

I feel a little like a smoldering cig left half smoked in an ashtray as my smoker lights up another one with a smile. Her yellowed fingers shake out the match as if she is waving goodbye.

I miss Carol. Maybe with some good antismoking venom we can get her to come back here.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Monona Smoking Ban Cometh

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed May 28, 2008 7:17 pm

Jattpw wrote:
I miss Carol. Maybe with some good antismoking venom we can get her to come back here.

She's thinking about it.

Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Monona Smoking Ban Cometh

Postby Jattpw » Thu May 29, 2008 7:33 am

Sideshow Bob wrote:
Jattpw wrote:

She's thinking about it.

Sweet!

reality

Monona smoking ban

Postby reality » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:14 am

Goodbye local taverns. Goodbye entertainment. You just can't have any fun in the Madison area anymore. Look what happened to the Madison night life. SUCKS. Big Brother.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Monona smoking ban

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:32 am

reality wrote:Goodbye local taverns. Goodbye entertainment. You just can't have any fun in the Madison area anymore. Look what happened to the Madison night life. SUCKS. Big Brother.

Yep. I haven't seen any concerts, plays, art exhibits, good bands, karaoke, sporting events, festivals, good food, or dancing listed anywhere for years.

reality

Postby reality » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:30 am

We've lost 14 taverns and counting. Thats alot of entertainment and many that are in business can't afford to pay for entertainment anymore. You were probably one of those surprised that the ban caused more drunk driving. Where are the nonsmokers at the bar. Most are at the hoity toity places feeling all superior. Pooleys tried opening as a non-smoking bar and that lasted all of 3 months. Where were the nonsmokers. Hypocrites.

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:01 am

reality wrote:We've lost 14 taverns and counting.

1) Name them.
2) Is this significantly different then the # of bars which closed in the same timeframe pre-smoking ban?

reality wrote:Thats alot of entertainment and many that are in business can't afford to pay for entertainment anymore.

Got any facts to back up either of these claims?
Which bars have closed that were providing entertainment?
Who used to provide it but can no longer do so since the ban?

reality wrote:the ban caused more drunk driving.

Link? Evidence? Anything?

reality wrote: Where are the nonsmokers at the bar. Most are at the hoity toity places feeling all superior.

What?

For someone named "reality", you sure do talk out your ass alot.

Drinkslinger

Postby Drinkslinger » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:29 am

Ollies (On the North side)
Buckeye
Anchor Inn
The Rustic Tavern
Bennett's
VFW (Olin Ave)
Lyrists Lounge
Luther's Blues
CJ's (Is now tulula's, 3 business in 2 years).
Irish Water's
Stillwater’s on State (business left, building was remodeled and a franchise place got it)
Grid Iron (converted to football hours, only open during games and weekends)
Hammer time (building was empty till Jade Monkey)

These are just off of the top of my head.

I’m not trying to pick a fight. As a Madison bartender that lost his job and moved, I’m just stating facts. The smoking ban might be a good thing, but how it was introduced was unfair. A county wide ban helps level the playing field or smoking allowed after 10:00pm.

Bars lost business. The smoking bar patron who left frequented the bar 3-4 times a week. The non smoker as a customer just never replaced that. They tend to go to a bar once a week, if that.

You can argue that these bar closing were part of a necessary trimming of an overpopulated bar business in Madison. Generally only the neighborhood blue collar places (beer, shot & cig) closed.

But you cannot say the smoking ban did not force business out.

p.s. I like the smoking ban, just find doing business in Madison very difficult.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:43 am

If the tavern owners of Monona were smart, they would have seen the writing on the wall when Madison went smoke-free and banked every cent of the funny money they got when smokers allegedly fled across city boundaries to find haven in their little town.

Then again, I've seen video of these havens in the past few weeks. I'm not sure there's a person in the shots under 60. And I could be led to believe that the guys owning those places might have thought they could do business as usual into infinite.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:04 am

Anecdotally, it's my impression that bars without anything else to offer--music, DJs, food, dancing--HAVE suffered, and many have withered up and blown away. Let's not pretend that those caught flat-footed weren't destroyed by the ban.

Those that have survived have had to modify their business plans (the most obvious addition to save your business is a smoking patio).

Mickey's is a prime example: they built out the patio and added heat lamps, they have live music, they have a monthly DJ set by the indomitable Ka-Boom!Box DJ Explosion, whose following fills their coffers the first Saturday of every month, and they introduced a kitchen with tasty, "real" food.

It's jumping at Mickey's at midnight on a Saturday. Girls dance and everything.

But anyway, that's business for you. Adapt or die.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:30 am

So Smoking is bad. I understand that but I can;t get over the issue of choice here. Why can't we have smoking bars and non-smoking bars? Why not leave it open to the business owner. If there is such a demand for these non-smoking facilities than surely someone could supply it. If you don't want to be in a smoke filled bar you can go to the one around the corner that is smoke free. Simple. Elegant. Honest. Fair.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:44 am

fisticuffs wrote:So Smoking is bad. I understand that but I can;t get over the issue of choice here. Why can't we have smoking bars and non-smoking bars? Why not leave it open to the business owner. If there is such a demand for these non-smoking facilities than surely someone could supply it. If you don't want to be in a smoke filled bar you can go to the one around the corner that is smoke free. Simple. Elegant. Honest. Fair.

You can't because smoking is banned. It was banned by people who were elected to office and could be replaced if they weren't following the will of the voters. But I'm not aware of that happening, so what does that tell you?

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:24 pm

Drinkslinger wrote:Ollies (On the North side)

Cafe La Bellitalia moved in and is doing great business.

VFW (Olin Ave)

Re-opened. Lakeside, not Olin.

Irish Water's

My understanding is developers wanted the land and made them an offer that would be hard to pass up.

As for the rest, I'm not familiar with them, but restaurants and bars close all the time. Doesn't mean the smoking ban forced them out.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:37 pm

Luther's Blues and the Anchor Inn both had other problems that were unrelated to the smoking ban. I was in both bars near the ends of their lives and it was quite obvious that they weren't paying their beer distributors. Maybe the smoking ban helped put them out of their misery.

The Rustic still appears to be open. Or else its a ghost bar when I drive by, I see the lights on and people drinking.
The Grid Iron has been open and closed and open and closed many many times before the smoking ban was a twinkle in the mayor's eye. I remember when they were booking shows there and I dropped off a cd and stuff and they bartender told me he would book me but the neighbors were bitching about the noise.

Hammer Time was only that bar for a couple of months before it closed. I can't imagine actually seriously drinking in a bar called Hammer Time. Maybe if I was a Pink Floyd devotee or something...

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:52 pm

meowzamusic wrote:Hammer Time was only that bar for a couple of months before it closed. I can't imagine actually seriously drinking in a bar called Hammer Time. Maybe if I was a Pink Floyd devotee or something...

Or if you were MC Hammer.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”