Houlihans closing....

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
joey

Houlihans closing....

Postby joey » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:25 am

A little birdie told me that houlihans will be closing this week... Anyone else hear this? What do you think Alfredo will be putting there?

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:15 am

What's houlihans and why should I be concerned?

awestra
Forum Addict

Postby awestra » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:17 am

I will believe it when I see it. I've been hearing rumors for the last 5 years or so that they are about to close.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:18 am

That restaurant squatting in the midst of empty fields and corporate parks way out on the outskirts of Middleton?
Hmm. Wonder why.

d2drums

Postby d2drums » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:49 pm

That's weird... I actually heard a rumor that he was closing Cloud 9. That Houlihan's is a dump. I walked out after having been seated without any other acknowledgment for about 15 minutes. Too pricey with all the other options in chain-hell out there. Can't someone drop a fertalizer bomb on that whole area and maybe put up the Krispy Kreme we've been taunted with... and maybe an In and Out Burger? Maybe the first Wisconsin Waffle House...something better than what we's got.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:57 pm

d2drums wrote:and maybe an In and Out Burger?

That is probably never going to happen. In-n-Out Burger is still family/privately owned and they don't franchise; they own all locations and they seem to have no interest in expanding outside the West. But they do have good burgers.

d2drums

Postby d2drums » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:06 pm

Right?? I lived in Scottsdale / Phoenix, AZ for a brief period, and they had just opened an In and Out there. People went ape shit for it. They had 24 hour drive through, and that sucker was ALWAYS packed. i didn;t really get it myself, but anything is better than another Applebees or Macaroni Grill.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:03 pm

In San Francisco I saw the In and Out Burger right next door to a Hooters.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:07 pm

meowzamusic wrote:In San Francisco I saw the In and Out Burger right next door to a Hooters.

You sure it wasn't for only high-paying customers called just In and Out?

joey

Postby joey » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:15 pm

we prolly wont see a krispy kreme for a super long time. if i remember right, the franchisee that owns wisconsin went bankrupt. i heard from someone else that houlihans will be a seafood concept of sorts. i also know someone who works at cloud 9, havent heard anything about closing...but that doesnt mean much.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Houlihan's restaurant, 1262 John Q. Hammons Drive across from the Marriott Madison West, closed on Saturday.

Owner Alfredo Teuschler, who also owns Eno Vino, 601 Junction Road, said the explosive growth of casual dining restaurants in the area, particularly at the nearby Greenway Center and Discovery Springs developments, just made for too much competition.

"There's a lot of restaurant seats for not enough butts," Teuschler said. "There's just too many of us in that category of casual dining."

http://www.madison.com/tct/business/268476

sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:06 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Houlihan's restaurant, 1262 John Q. Hammons Drive across from the Marriott Madison West, closed on Saturday.

Owner Alfredo Teuschler, who also owns Eno Vino, 601 Junction Road, said the explosive growth of casual dining restaurants in the area, particularly at the nearby Greenway Center and Discovery Springs developments, just made for too much competition.

"There's a lot of restaurant seats for not enough butts," Teuschler said. "There's just too many of us in that category of casual dining."

http://www.madison.com/tct/business/268476

Eno Vino's gonna end up the same way if the staff, service, food and atmosphere continue to decline. Such a shame!

BookhouseBoy

Postby BookhouseBoy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:55 pm

As far as I know, In-n-Out has no plans of ever, ever expanding east of the Rockies. Our loss, for sure.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”