King Club changing format!

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Beekeepers

King Club changing format!

Postby Beekeepers » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:13 am

We were just informed by the owner that the King Club will be closing its doors to live music on January 21st. Funky Monday will still continue. It's a sad day for local bands as the KC was (and still is for this month) a great place to play! Thanks to Tristan for booking us, the bartenders for pouring for us, and the sound guys for blasting us! Best of luck in the future.

-National Beekeepers Society
(Our last show at the King Club is this Friday...)

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:11 am

just his my inbox...

Hi all.
Tristan here writing to let you all know that the rumors are true. The King Club will be closing its doors as a live music venue on January 21st and reopening a month later as something entirely different, to quote Monty Python. The only live music we will continue to host will be the Clyde Stubblefield Funky Mondays.
Its a been a long and fun run but the move is for various reasons, most of them good ones. Change is constant and its fair to say that the flavor of the live music scene has changed in Madison, and one has to change with the times. We have taken on new partners who are going to take teh bar in a new and interesting direction.
All will be rvealed presently, but til then thanks to all of you for the support, the fun, and most of all the incredible music. Its been a life changing experience for both Lisa and myself.
Best of Luck , and Peace.
Tristan and Lisa GAllagher

I love the KC, as I loved the Chamber.
Played and saw many great shows there since I got here in '94.
Maybe someday it will switch back when the local club market isn't so crowded.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:52 am

Shite!

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Back in the Shannon Sweeney days, the King Club was really important to my old band the Junkers. We had wonderful times playing there. This was back when it was putatively a jazz club, and we had to convince Sweeney that country music didn't clash irrevocably with the vibe. Adieu, King Club

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:16 pm

Seriously though what is going to bring in more money? Is it going to be a dance club now? a sports bar? I say tough it out King Club. No one goes there for the atmosphere. They go for the live bands and thats about it.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:22 pm

Completely off topic but I guess somewhat relevant. Ward Brodt is now only going to stock low end instruments and amplifiers. Now that they have GC sucking away a lot of their business this is their strategy. I personally would have gone the other way. GC has the low end shit covered and you're not going to compete with them to see who can sell a Strat knock off the cheapest. What they lack is what you should attack. They have some high end instruments on the wall. They are all two years old now, covered in dust and badly in need of a set up. Ward Brodt can provide those types of instruments with a much better service than GC will ever try to.

Same with the King Club. You've got a little competition. Losing a little business because there are more clubs for live music. Don't pack it in. Stick it out and do it better. Book better talent. Pay them. They used to get Mama Digdowns and the Kissers now those bands play the Majestic and High Noon well you know what there might be some other bands out there who can build that kind of following. You've just got to tough it out and find them. Treat them all well too because you don't know which one it's gonna be.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Can't say I've ever met Tristan, but Lisa was very nice the times I've talked with her. I wish them well.

The club has seen a nifty array of owners and themes. My fondest memories of the place were those of The Chamber and then-owner Ken Taft. Ken was nice enough to book us even though we couldn't draw flies. He also supported just about every fucked up thing we wanted to try onstage (except for the time Dickhead had Playboy centerfolds taped to his rack toms. That was too much. He came up and ripped them down. Funny, we could still partake of the 3 foot bong onstage though ... ).

And screw Pat Mcdonald. Again and again.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:43 pm

What will the lesbians hold their recruitment meetings now?

madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madt0wn » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:13 pm

supaunknown wrote:And screw Pat Mcdonald. Again and again.

I don't know what brought that on, but my band had a horrible experience opening for that guy. After his 3 hour soundcheck, the solo act left us all of 5 square feet to fit on. Classy guy all around...

Saboroso

Postby Saboroso » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:32 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Back in the Shannon Sweeney days, the King Club was really important to my old band the Junkers. We had wonderful times playing there. This was back when it was putatively a jazz club, and we had to convince Sweeney that country music didn't clash irrevocably with the vibe. Adieu, King Club

Those were good days for the King Club. My old group The Prole played there on a regular basis back then. Good crowds and good money for both the club and the band. And the after bars coming out of there were always a good time. Too good sometimes.

superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby superman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:35 pm

Smokin' with Superman had some great times there too. It will be missed.....I think.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:57 pm

madt0wn wrote:
supaunknown wrote:And screw Pat Mcdonald. Again and again.

I don't know what brought that on, but my band had a horrible experience opening for that guy. After his 3 hour soundcheck, the solo act left us all of 5 square feet to fit on. Classy guy all around...

Yup. We had pretty much the same experience.

benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:48 pm

damn. one less place to make $3 and a $8 IOU

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:58 pm

i heard they're gonna stay queer friendly.

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:05 pm

Maybe their new format idea will be to act as a haven for local euro-style yuppies to discuss matters of the day (who among them leaves the smallest carbon footprint) while a live dj plays ambient generic grooves...microscopic sushi will be served.

Return to “Madison Music”