Mayor Dave on Live TV

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Mayor Dave on Live TV

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:03 am

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz will be my guest for the full hour on Access: City Hall on Wednesday, Oct. 24 from 7-8 pm on City Channel 12. Got a question you want to spring on him on LIVE TV? (You know that you do!) Just call 261-9114 and the floor's yours. Or post the question here, and I'll try and work it in.

Hope you can join us.

bucksnort
Forum Addict

Postby bucksnort » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:53 pm

I have to work at that time.

Could you please ask him how the city of Madison can cut grass on medians and boulevards and dump the grass in the streets in violation of their Stormwater discharge permit? If you or I did what they do we'd be hauled off to the pokey. Ask him where's their exemption. Then watch him dribble.

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:12 am

Is this being webcast simultaneously?

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:50 am

Live streaming can be found here.

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:02 pm

Ed Breakfast wrote:Live streaming can be found here.

Thank you for the link, sir!

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:20 pm

bucksnort wrote:I have to work at that time.

Could you please ask him how the city of Madison can cut grass on medians and boulevards and dump the grass in the streets in violation of their Stormwater discharge permit? If you or I did what they do we'd be hauled off to the pokey. Ask him where's their exemption. Then watch him dribble.

When and where did you see this being done?
(And, btw, I'm pretty sure it would be a civil, not a criminal offense, no matter who did it).

bucksnort
Forum Addict

Postby bucksnort » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:40 am

[/quote]

When and where did you see this being done?
(And, btw, I'm pretty sure it would be a civil, not a criminal offense, no matter who did it).[/quote]

When? Every time they cut the grass. Ever see a grass catcher on city equipment? I didn't think so. Where? The worst I saw was last August on Packers. They put so much grass out into the street you couldn't tell where the left lane was. Dane County has already admitted the problem exists by their people, Madison is just in denial or should I say malfeasance. Ask him if they have an exemption.

bucksnort
Forum Addict

Postby bucksnort » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:36 am

Stu, did you ask him my question? I came down Packers Ave. today and there they were cutting the grass in the medians spitting grass into the streets. Inquiring minds want to know if this is on Dave's mind.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:30 am

He did. The archived streaming file should be up soon. I don't recall Dave's response as I had other issues with which to contend, but I'll provide a link to the file once it's up.

bucksnort
Forum Addict

Postby bucksnort » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:56 am

Stu,
Thanks for asking the question. I watched the clip. I must say I enjoy your format and presentation. As for the Mayor's comment that dumping grass into the street was "Not in the big scheme of things", I gots news for him. This is totally unacceptable in a " Green toting" city such as Madison.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:37 pm

I gotta say, I was pretty much with the mayor until I saw that picture. While that's pretty bad, I wonder how much it would cost for the city to take measures to prevent that from happening. There would be costs in equipment and time (labor cost). Don't know what an acceptable trade-off would be.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:13 pm

gargantua wrote:I gotta say, I was pretty much with the mayor until I saw that picture. While that's pretty bad, I wonder how much it would cost for the city to take measures to prevent that from happening. There would be costs in equipment and time (labor cost). Don't know what an acceptable trade-off would be.

I hate to ask the obvious, but does the grass growing on the medians really need to be cut?

Or this may sound completely crazy, but how about planting something, ANYTHING! that does not require cutting by a big polluting fleet of lawn tractors every goddamn week?

Let's see... bushes, wildflowers, f*cking creeping charlie, or just pave the things for all I care.

I swear, in a city that claims to be environmentally forward thinking, very little thought goes into such trivial things like this. Did anyone in the planning commission take a second to consider "gee if we build all these new medians all over the city and plant grass in every single one of them, it is going to take a lot of extra money, time, and resources to maintain that and have it look all pretty". Not to mention bucksnort's "minor" concern about more grass clippings clogging up the sewers.

Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:20 pm

I do not think paving over the medians would be a good idea from a flood-control standpoint. The strips must absorb some amount of rain.

And I echo the sentiment that more thought could probably be given to planning and making things more green-friendly (in the building process - for example, not hacking terrace trees to bits and requiring them to be later cut down - and in the implementation/maintenance process).

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:51 pm

eriedasch wrote:Or this may sound completely crazy, but how about planting something, ANYTHING! that does not require cutting by a big polluting fleet of lawn tractors every goddamn week?

Let's see... bushes, wildflowers, f*cking creeping charlie, or just pave the things for all I care.

While there is still some grass, quite a bit on John Nolen was replaced with small flowers/plants this past summer.

bucksnort
Forum Addict

Postby bucksnort » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:10 am

lukpac wrote:
eriedasch wrote:Or this may sound completely crazy, but how about planting something, ANYTHING! that does not require cutting by a big polluting fleet of lawn tractors every goddamn week?

While there is still some grass, quite a bit on John Nolen was replaced with small flowers/plants this past summer.

Yes, Ive been looking at that patch all summer as they worked it. Now the next time you go by there look a little closer at this:

Yes the flowers are in the center but they are still surrounded by grass that still needs to be cut. Here again lies the problem, that 36 inch wide strip of grass will be cut with a 52-60 inch wide mower deck. A good part of the clippings will end up in the street regardless if it was a mulcher or not. About the only solution is to hand cut it with a 21 inch bagger or mulcher. This takes well over twice the time plus if you have to bag it there's additional time to empty, deal with the clippings.

You can't do what the city does when they cut the grass. Do city vehicles get to go thru red lights while us serfs have to wait?

The sad part is that the pics were taken a week after this important memo went out, straight from the top cheezers:

City of Madison Streets Division
City of Madison Parks Division

TO: All Parks and Street Supervisory Staff
CC: Larry Nelson, City Engineer

Jim Morgan, Parks Superintendent

DATE: October 23, 2007

RE: Grass Clippings / Lawn Mower Discharges onto Street Pavement

PLEASE POST FOR EMPLOYEES

The goal of Parks Division employees when mowing street medians or turf areas adjacent to paved surfaces is to discharge the cuttings back onto the grass area and not onto the pavement.

Certain mowing conditions such as very narrow medians, areas where sharp turning is required or having to mow long grass or wet grass can result in clippings unfortunately being discharged onto the pavement. Every effort should be made to avoid these conditions. The nutrient load from grass clippings being carried by rainwater into our lakes is something we must work hard to avoid.

If, however, your mowing work results in clippings being discharged onto the pavement and you cannot quickly and safely gather them up, contact your leadsworker or supervisor so that they can request assistance from either West Streets or East Streets. We will try to have a street sweeper sent to your location to sweep the clippings and debris.

Thank you for your efforts to keep our lakes clean and to foster a team approach to our work.

_______________________________ ______________________________
Al Schumacher, Streets Jim Morgan, Parks

Return to “Local Politics & Government”