Lightning Kills 3 at Warner Park Bus Stop

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Lightning Kills 3 at Warner Park Bus Stop

Postby BobArctor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:51 pm

Whoa. It doesn't get any more random and scary than that. Lightning hit a transformer and dropped live wires into the puddle these folks were standing in.

Power was out on the North for 90 min. Traffic signals were down and it was a parking lot during rush hour.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:09 pm

Aw, sweet jeebus, that's a pretty spectacularly random way to go :( Now I don't feel so bad about missing a few shots by bugging out when things get danger close.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:39 pm

MPD and mayor's statements are here

A mother and child and someone trying to help. Tragedy doesn't seem a strong enough term.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:28 pm

My oldest son and I sat at that intersection, right past the bus stop, during a red light about 3:50pm today. It was raining so hard you couldn't discern between the street, curb, or grass between the sidewalk and street. Cars were crawling down Northport, up to their hubcaps in water. We were talking about lightning strikes (there was a fair amount of lightning around) and electrical grounding theory. By the time we got home (maybe 6 minutes due to local flooding north of Northport on Sherman), the power was out. What a tragedy. And the poor fellow who lost his life trying to save strangers- at least we know there are some selfless souls in our midst.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:26 am

The MPD news release last night was the most disturbing thing on this screen in a while. Had been saving open documents when the power went down.

Saw the traffic jam outside in the distance. Walked down to the edge of Sherman Plaza and saw the police cars at odd angles. Couldn't have guessed the depth of the tragedy from just that.

The rain slacked after a while. The power outage brought people out of their apartments. The silent Hmong grandmother who always babysits was holding the little one closer than usual and staring in the direction of the sirens.

The MPD report was a sniper round through psychic kevlar. Why is my keyboard wet?

Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:08 am

Regarding the guy who twas trying to help the woman and the child, not to say he wasn't selfless or brave, but I wonder if it even crossed his mind that the wire was still live and was in the water and that the water might itself be deadly?

I mean many of us would have naturally tried to help. But how many of us would have had enough presence of mind to recall basic ideas about how dangerous electricity and water are when mixed and that the wire was still a live one?

It could have heppened to any of us if we too had tried to help.

Very sad, indeed.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:29 am

BobArctor wrote:Why is my keyboard wet?

Yep... this one hits a little harder than shots of people dealing with flooded houses and mud slides.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:57 am

Made the news in Minneapolis last night. Horrible.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:41 am

Very sad indeed. It just leaves me with this ache where my stomach should be. Who would think that waiting for a bus could be deadly?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:54 pm

Goodbye Lakisha, goodbye Maya (you were only two!), and goodbye Demetrius, who tried to save his friends.

I just wanted to give the people's names so they are remembered as individuals.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:58 pm

Saw more details on the news tonight. The boy who was hurt was her son. How truly awful for him to have to see that.
She also had two other kids. It's just heartbreaking.

There's a fund set up to help the victims' families through Heartland CU.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:51 pm

I really don't want to be a drama queen and go all "MySpace" Debbie on the forum, but I heard the song by Live, "Lighting Crashes" today and just got border-line emotional hearing that song and thinking about how quickly this tragedy transpired. When I say "border-line emotional" I mean I just got really depressed and cried. I know that is all so very "Teen Beat" confessional, but damn! They were just waiting for a bus!

AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:26 pm

snoqueen wrote:Goodbye Lakisha, goodbye Maya (you were only two!), and goodbye Demetrius, who tried to save his friends.

I just wanted to give the people's names so they are remembered as individuals.

There are flowers up on the sign post where the tragedy occurred.
Also, Heritage Credit Union has a fund started for the families, if anybody is so inclined, "Bus Tragedy Fund".

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:34 am

BobArctor wrote:Why is my keyboard wet?

+1. Just too horrible, just...

medbh
Forum Addict

Postby medbh » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:24 am

I don't understand the "science" of how this happened. I thought electricity wants to take the faster/easiest way to the ground. Why would it spread out over the standing water rather than going directly into the ground?

Return to “Headlines”