Requesting help from local music ner... uh... aficionados.

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
mmmm23

Requesting help from local music ner... uh... aficionados.

Postby mmmm23 » Sat May 12, 2007 3:38 am

Think you're an expert on local bands? Maybe you can help me on this one.

I've had fun listening to an old tape (mid-90s, I'd guesstimate) from a band called "Clip the Daisies". It's sort-of punk, though maybe a bit too technically adept to label as such. It's called "Live with Mary Lou Retton" or something close to that.

The tape is old and broken. I want to get a copy on CD (or even MP3) if possible. If you remember this band and can help me out, I'll trade you some tasty donuts or something. We're all in this together, man.

artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Requesting help from local music ner... uh... aficionado

Postby artpaul » Mon May 14, 2007 9:47 am

mmmm23 wrote:Think you're an expert on local bands? Maybe you can help me on this one.

I've had fun listening to an old tape (mid-90s, I'd guesstimate) from a band called "Clip the Daisies". It's sort-of punk, though maybe a bit too technically adept to label as such. It's called "Live with Mary Lou Retton" or something close to that.

The tape is old and broken. I want to get a copy on CD (or even MP3) if possible. If you remember this band and can help me out, I'll trade you some tasty donuts or something. We're all in this together, man.

I know this is none of my business but I just did a google search for Clip The Daisies perform in Madison,Wisconsin and found a few things one of which is here:

http://www.thedailypage.com/music/artic ... ticle=4872 and it mentions
Isaac Schulze so I hope this helps forward your search.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon May 14, 2007 11:54 am

Great band. Was that their live cassette with their cover of "Juke Box Hero"?

Fixing cassettes just takes a few minutes. If the cassette shell has screws holding it together just take it apart and splice the tape together. There's not a whole lot inside the shell itself. Make sure you route the tape properly and don't lose any of the little parts from inside. If the shell has to be broken to get at the innards simply bust it, splice the broken tape, and then carefully remove both reels of the tape stock itself. I like to put a piece of Scotch tape softly against the side of the audio tape itself to keep the reel from unraveling (remove this piece before closing it up) and transfer them to a different shell that you were able to take apart.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Mon May 14, 2007 12:13 pm

artpaul wrote:I know this is none of my business but I just did a google search for Clip The Daisies perform in Madison,Wisconsin and found a few things one of which is here:

http://www.thedailypage.com/music/artic ... ticle=4872 and it mentions
Isaac Schulze so I hope this helps forward your search.

I do not know if Isaac from Mad Trucker played much of a role in Clip the Daisies, I would think he woulda been neck deep in Ladybeard in the early 90's.

Anyway, yeah Clip the Daisies was the shit. I regret I only saw them once before they broke up. Their music really stands the test of time for being sick little puppies. One of the central figures from Clip, Dan Deitrich aka Black Angus Kahn, still resides in Madison. He fronts Brainerd these days. So you can contact him about replacing your cassette via Brainerd's web presence or better yet come out to the next edition of Charlie Don't Surf Live at the Inferno on May 31st and talk to Dan about it in person. Brainerd headlines for their first Madison show since February with Road Agent Spin and IfIHadAHiFi opening the show.

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Tue May 15, 2007 4:55 pm

mmmm23 wrote:Think you're an expert on local bands? Maybe you can help me on this one.

i have a clip the daisies cassette, but it may be a pre-release or something - had Sasquatch on it, a few others. email me at biff@beeftone.com if interested.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed May 16, 2007 10:05 am

Isaac did not (as far as I know) have anything to do with CTD.
But he is in every other band in town.
Try contacting WSUM radio or German Art Students and ask for Randy Ballwahn --wasn't he the drummer for CTD?

boobus

Postby boobus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:45 pm

I realize this thread is old…

Randy from GAS was not the drummer for CTD. That drummer for CTD was a short stocky guy and a total beast. I loved CTD and saw them a few times and would love to find some recorded material as well.

artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:36 pm

I typed in Clip The Daisies perform in Madison and got this link which talks about their 45

http://auralretentive.wordpress.com/201 ... lest-ever/

artpaul
Forum God/Goddess

Postby artpaul » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:50 pm

I type in Clip The Daisies Wussy and got many links including one from gemm and this one from Artist Direct

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/a ... 14,00.html

Return to “Madison Music”