Movies You Want To See Released On DVD

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Movies You Want To See Released On DVD

Postby MadMind » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:29 pm

Have any Movies you'd like to see released onto DVD which have been previously unavailable or only available on VHS?
Or maybe the current DVD version isn't sufficient. For example there have been DVD releases which are nothing more than full-screen dubs of the VHS release.

I can't think of too many movies I want that aren't already available on DVD at the moment.
Although Blade Runner was one of the earliest releases on DVD and is of lesser quality than later DVD releases. Blade Runner fans have been wanting a Special Edition for years now.

DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby DedeTate » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:11 pm

A friend of mine is pining for the DVD release of Bad Manners - the one from 1984, with Karen Black. I'm not much of a Karen Black fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean again. As far as I know, it's not out on DVD.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:47 am

Just a few years ago I could've named off many more (Slacker, The Duel, Hangin' With The Homeboys, Night Of The Comet), so I think that the home video industry has done an excellent job putting older titles onto DVD.

1984's Night Of The Comet was finally released on DVD only about a month ago (March 6th, 2007).

There are many more smaller or more obscure titles from the early eighties that have been ignored or forgotten, I suspect.
Just what is it with that period of time? Was there simply more product released? Is it that there was an overbundance of what most would consider crap, which will appeal only to those looking to fill in the memory gaps or add to their collection as kitsch?

For example, the person behind this Tribute Site would really like to see 1984's Surf II on DVD.

There's also a number of movies from the 3D boom of the 80's which have never been put to DVD including; The Man Who Wasn't There starring Steve Guttenberg, Treasure Of The Four Crowns, Metalstorm: The Destruction Of Jared Syn, Earl Owensby's Hit The Road Running & Hot Heir, and the French made erotica Venus.
Last edited by MadMind on Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.

heyduke

Postby heyduke » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:06 am

A film I'd long been waiting for was Kicking and Screaming, Noah Baumbach's great first film from 1995. Though it had been out for years on VHS, it took the critical success of The Squid and the Whale for Criterion to put it out in DVD. Lots of nice extras, too, with interviews with Baumbach and cast members, deleted scenes, etc. If you enjoyed The Squid and the Whale, you should check out Kicking and Screaming. Great cast (Chris Eigeman, Carlos Jacott, Eric Stoltz, Parker Posey, even Elliott Gould) and great script.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:18 am

Night on Earth, by Jim Jarmusch.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0102536/

Available in other regions, but not yet here in Region 1.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:15 pm

I really had to dig for more DVD recommendations.
As a child I really liked Dinosaur movies, and really what child wouldn't? While most of the good ones are already available on DVD, some of the bad ones aren't.

1977's The Last Dinosaur, a film which was originally intended for theatrical release but instead was repurposed for a television premiere in the U.S., has never been released on DVD.
The Last Dinosaur Review at badmovies.org

Continuing along with the whole Dinosaur theme...
1980's Dinosaur. "Dinosaur is a claymation feature that was shown in the Milwaukee Public Museum. All Fred Savage related sections where thrown in to pad out the length." Check out this review, it's f**king hilarious. Dinosaur has never been released on DVD.

Anybody else that used to watch USA's Up All Night? You just know there's gotta be more than a few movies on that list that have never been put to DVD.
I wish they still had a show where they host B-movies. It was a fun program to watch on weekend nights.
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:14 pm

The Flim Flam Man (starring George C. Scott)

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:24 pm

cutter's way is on dvd, but i'd DIE to see the original version (released as cutter and bone).

funkwood

Postby funkwood » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:15 pm

Monster Squad and Peter Jackson's Meet the Feebles

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:54 pm

funkwood wrote:Peter Jackson's Meet the Feebles

Hey-oh!

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 pm

mrak wrote:Night on Earth, by Jim Jarmusch.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0102536/

Available in other regions, but not yet here in Region 1.

It sounded interesting, and I had never seen it before so I got it from the library.
Good slice-of-life late-nite movie!
Interesting choice of casting to play the cabbies. Weakest scene was the first in Los Angeles with Winona Ryder (very 'nineties'). Her performance was really really 'put on'. Roberto Benini's scene was hilarious (I don't know how the hell people maneuver their cars down Rome's narrow streets without hitting anything).
One of the most interesting things about the movie to me was the fact that it was shot on scene in all 5 cities. So even if the scenes weren't necessarily authentic, the scenery was. I liked it.

Wesmon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wesmon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:00 am

The Decline of Western Civilization.

Sad that the best movie chronicling the hardcore scene of the early 80s is not available on DVD.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:03 am

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:09 am

1991: The Year Punk Broke

my favorite concert documentary with Sonic Youth & Nirvana in Europe, nirvana oblivious to the fact that Nevermind was becoming a hit in the US at that time.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:28 am

Along similar lines, I haven't seen Urgh! A Music War since high school.

Return to “Movies”