Food Fight: take a stand

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Food Fight: take a stand

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:46 pm

Let's all agree never to turn another thread into a Food Fight debate.

You got beef? Post it here.

Wanna sign 'em up for sainthood? This is the place.

Put individual reviews where they belong. This thread is for the big picture discussion.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:15 pm

People who promote a particular stance for or against a restaurant conglomerate need to find a hobby.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:17 pm

Agreed. And this is where they can share their love for their hobby with others who feel the same way.

Jeez. One post in and the thread's been jacked.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:26 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Agreed. And this is where they can share their love for their hobby with others who feel the same way.

Jeez. One post in and the thread's been jacked.

If people feel like complaining about a faceless restaurant conglomerate is a sensible use of their time, then so be it. Far be it from me to posit that Food Fight probably doesn't care about what a bunch of corpulent deadbeats pontificating on an anonymous forum think about their enterprise. But go ahead, knock yourselves out.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:51 pm

I would like to talk about Maharani. Not the restaurant on W. wash but the prime minister of...HAHAHA...but really Food Fight has a repuation of bad/mediocre food in restaurants that are nice looking. From my experiences this is true. I have not been to Fresco yet so I can't comment.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:18 pm

The sous chef at Delmonico's gets some primo weed!

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:27 pm

i think it really varies from restaurant to restaurant, which is great. it's nice how they're not homogenized.
even at the three somewhat similar sounding joints, monte's, bluephies, and the hubbard, the menu varies greatly (as does the quality) (as does the quality from night to night at the same place) (which i think is a good thing, compared to some cookie cutter chain where everything is always exactly the same and mediocre at that)
anyway, i don't have anything particularly for or against "food fight" in general. i don't even really know each and every one of their restaurants. (and i think that's cool too).

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:13 pm

i always get them mixed up with the other restaurant conglomerates in madison. it seems like no good restaurant in madison is without a sister restaurant.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:16 pm

It just seems that with all of the experience that foodfight has, the food should be better. They seem to have nice staff in place, a great marketing team, very nice restaurants, that all just seem to put out marginal foods.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:18 pm

I'm all in favor of a place where you can get a slice of pie and a cup of coffee at the counter. Monty's and Hubbard Ave. qualify, so I'm behind them all the way.

And I'm a Tex Tubbs fan. Same for the southwestern place.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:34 pm

For the record, I've never had an outright negative experience with a Food Fight restaurant. That said, I've never been to Ocean Grill, Delmonico's or Fresco, where the stakes are raised slightly. My experience at Firefly was the least satisfying (my reviews of them are "out there" on the interweb if you want details).

From that, I can understand that there's the distinct possibility that people who go to the "nicer" FF joints might come away disappointed. That's where my experiences come up short.

But Monty's: ample servings, tasty, and accomodating service. Market Street: awesome chips, big pies that come in glass plates, and a drive-up window. Bluephies: wide menu, great service, and cookie dough freaking egg rolls. Eldorado: good flavors, perfect ambience (saw Devin Harris there once, after he signed with Dallas!), excellent desserts, plus they go the distance by keeping so many tequilas on the bar.

My reflex reaction to someone saying, without explanation,

Ichabod wrote:Food Fight restaurant...blaaacchhh

(sorry, Ichabod, but I'm fronting you out)...well, that just seems like someone doesn't like something because other people do. Rebellion for rebellion's sake. And I hate that. Thus the thread for airing of grievances.

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:05 pm

I like Bluephies for lunch. It is place where people with many different tastes can eat together. It's hard to find places where all my co-workers can have a decent meal. I also love breakfast at the El Dorado. I am a vegetarian so I have no desire to visit the steak or seafood place. I do like that Food Fight restaurants have a selection for vegetarians.

I wasn't thrilled about Firefly. It made me want to have a meal at a real Asian restaurant. It wasn't bad, but nothing I need to experience again.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:07 pm

square wrote:i always get them mixed up with the other restaurant conglomerates in madison. it seems like no good restaurant in madison is without a sister restaurant.

What others are there? Nothing the size of Food Fight that I know of. Mariner's Inn, the Nau-Ti-Gal and Captain Bill's are under one owner, but isn't that about it?

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:What others are there? Nothing the size of Food Fight that I know of. Mariner's Inn, the Nau-Ti-Gal and Captain Bill's are under one owner, but isn't that about it?

Henry Doane? Those brothers that own Weary, Magnus, etc.

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:09 pm

yeah magnus and weary are linked. um, isnt le toille and the bakery underneath linked? or maybe old fasioned and harvest? i dont really know the specifics on those places.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”